SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katerinamooo

Tiny NYC kitchen: compact oven advice please

Katerina N
2 years ago

Hi all,

In my search for a wall oven (that is to be my one and only oven), I find myself with many desires on a restricted budget and a tiny NYC kitchen, I’d ideally like a:

-24” built in oven (I admit, I am going for built-in oven + cooktop combo for the looks and sleekness. It also does seem easier to clean a drop-in cooktop without sides for crumbs to fall into between the range and counter. My layout does allow for a range option, this is just a preference)
-under $4k
-steam combination oven would be ideal

I did find one such option with some decent reviews, the Jennair Eurostyle series 24” 1.3 steam + convection oven (https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/JBS7524BS.html) at $3100.

But I am doubting this choice for a few reasons:

-It’s 120V, which on the one hand is convenient (no electrical work will be required, I don’t yet have a 220v outlet), but on the other hand, I question its power (1500w), though perhaps at its diminutive size, this amount of power is sufficient.

-I have general suspicion of “higher end” appliance brands: at least anecdotally, it seems they’re more problematic. I wish a GE or Whirlpool or Samsung had what I am looking for, but I am not sure they have 24” ovens at all!

-never having owned one, am I exaggerating the versatility and magic of a steam combination oven? I do see some posts here where a steam combi oven has become some people’s most used and favorite appliance.

Do you have experience with compact appliances and have some input? Or with steam combi ovens as a primary oven contender (do you find them to be the cat’s meow/or just meh?)?

Should I just perhaps settle for a non-steam but more familiar brand of Bosch with its 500 series European convection ( HBE5452UC, https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/HBE5452UC.html)?

I know some will be aghast at the idea of using something so small as the primary and only oven, but I am coming from previously, at my last apartment, having a 30” double oven, which I only utilized 1/2 of (the other compartment was permanently used as storage), an experience that led me to question how much oven space one really needs, even if one does like to cook often. I also see many posts here where people with large suburban kitchens and multiple ovens end up using the smaller steam / speed ovens for everyday and the main ovens only at Thanksgiving or when entertaining a few times a year. I live in a household of 2.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (4)