SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenandava

Need to pick siding color ASAP!

karenandava
2 years ago

Siding is already off house and I cant decide on siding color. Roof has some blue in it so was either going to go with Flagstone or go light and do Herringbone. Need advice!

Comments (35)

• P Banos
    2 years ago

I like a dark color for your cute cottage. The dark blue would work, with white trim and a bright yellow or red door.

karenandava thanked P Banos
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Sorry tiny house giant portico not a good look IMO.Those big bushes need to go too. Then I think any cottage type color with white trim will work I kind of like the idea of blue and a yellow door.No accent wood at all and then go to work with landscaping in a cottage style .

• Related Discussions

New front door, need to pick stain color ASAP

Q

Comments (7)
    No matter what you do it's never going to match your floors because they're different woods - you won't get that dark graining on the door and the natural color of the woods is different to begin with. I'd be afraid that trying to match will always look like a swing and a miss. If it were MY door, I'd make them different enough that it's clear matching was never the hope. In your first picture I thought the door might even be painted yellow and that looks lovely with your blue gray siding.
    ...See More

Please pick one!!! I need to decide ASAP!

Q

Comments (42)
    I would get the red...if you plan to have red in other areas of the kitchen. If you're going to have red in the curtain fabric, maybe red in plates (which I like that look) on the other side of the range. Maybe red around the banquette...then it's not the first thing you'd see in the space. Right now, it's your only color, but that will only remain true, if all your accessories are white, walnut, gray and black. Go for the red...do what YOU love and make it your kitchen. Don't play it safe. It's $250 and if the french gray does have some blue/green in it...then the red will look even better! :)
    ...See More

Picked Spruce for siding color, need help with trim and door

Q

Comments (8)
    I'll suggest complementing nature rather than trying to blend in. Shingles same as the siding -- change in texture, not color. I don't see traditional-transitional here, rather an attempt to craftsmanize a house that lacks any resemblance to craftsman. I noticed you have not started an ideabook, so no way of knowing your style. Is your builder/designer/architect unable to do color renderings like I showed above?
    ...See More

Siding color help needed-asap, please!

Q

Comments (10)
    We’re actually adding a garage and getting new siding for the whole house. And our siding color is remarkably similar to the Tuscan olive (it’s not up yet or I’d post a picture to help you). We have pewter gray for our roof (new as of last week!) I'm aiming for a plum-colored front door for some fun. Post pictures of the progress, we love updates!
    ...See More
  • karenandava
    Original Author
    2 years ago

here are examples of colors…top is flagstone, bottom is herringbone.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

What is the siding type going to be? What type and color window trim?

• karenandava
    Original Author
    2 years ago

it will be vinyl siding (Certainteed Mainstreet). Trim will be white

• Barb Chamberlain
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What color are the houses on either side? It looks like the one to right of photo is pretty close to the Flagstone so I'd go with something that provides a bigger contrast between the two. The Oxford Blue from your sample chart could be a pretty choice if it isn't also too matchy-matchy with the neighbors. Or the Sterling Gray with a really bold or beautiful dark navy door.

One more set of factors to make this harder rather than easier--what exposure does the house have, what climate are you in now, and what's happening to it over time? As average temperatures climb living in a dark house could mean a lot of heat gain you then have to deal with (I assume this isn't a passivhaus design). Or if you're where it's colder this could be a non-factor or even a plus.

We're in a small cul-de-sac where 4 of the houses--including ours--are some variation of a light cream/tan. As we choose a new color we're looking at what else is on the street so we don't look just like one of the few not-tan houses and don't look bad alongside the color of the blue house next to us.

We also don't want a super-dark color because of heat gain given that we don't have air conditioning, it's a single level with no basement to escape to, one of the bedrooms has both a south and west exposure (trees planted for future shade but that will take a while), and we had an extreme "heat dome" last year with promise of more increases in temperature over time. These factors together along with two people in this house who don't have identical color aesthetics have proven to be limiting, so I feel your dilemma. If only one of our neighbors didn't have a gray house we'd be going with something like your Herringbone light gray.

karenandava thanked Barb Chamberlain
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

You have cute and balanced house. I would go with off-white, neutral color that you show to pop up white trim. No gray, it is out already.

karenandava thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • cat_ky
    2 years ago

I would go with a lighter color that doesnt clash with your roof. Its a very cute house. Dark colors will also make it look much smaller. I like the oxford blue, and also the sterling gray. Both seem to blend well with your roof, and they are both neither too dark, nor too light. Can you get some pieces of siding, to hold up to see just what looks best with the roofing?

• mnmamax3
    2 years ago

I agree the flagstone is too close to the roof color and would choose the pacific blue, which could go with your current door color. It looks like the wood siding is in the prcoess of being removed but if you leave it on the barrel vault, maybe repeat it on the garage door or something.

karenandava thanked mnmamax3
  • karenandava
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! I am definetely planning to do landscaping in the spring. The wood on the fromt of the house is not staying, they took the previous siding off and that was underneath. Although I domthink it looks kinda cool!

Here is a pic of the house before the siding came off. The roof is a little darker in this pic than the previous pic. Im not sure if that changes any of your suggestions on siding color?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

cute house.

I would remove shutters (since you can only have them on one side of the window), and remove those shrubs.

I like the blue siding idea w/a nice yellow door.

here's that blue/gray color again. which do you like?

do you take off the storm door in the spring? will you be doing the same door?

I photoshopped a diff door w/some white casing.

closer shot of it. Love this look

what are the plans for the wood on the portico? just paint? or stain?

how about pendant light from that ceiling?

don't know if there is anywhere you could do some cedar shake.

cedar window boxes? cedar ceiling on portico w/light?

could you do a stained beadboard on that ceiling? :

If you want that gloomy blue/gray siding color, pick a bright white and bold color front door. otherwise, it will look too dreary.

this is similar to the Oxford blue with a darker stained wood accent.

White siding w/black trim?

i still like the dark navy and bright white combo (with wood ceiling)

landscaping ideas.

Here's a small cape w/before/after

https://nestingwithgrace.com/exteriorcurbappealdiywithlowes/

• smalloldhouse_gw
    2 years ago

Fellow member of the big portico club here (and happy about that) - I went through a similar debate last spring. Our house had Certainteed Granite Gray and we changed to Hardie as prt of a larger project. I agonized over the paint color and got a lot of good advice here. Most people advised going white or light gray, but I wound up going blue and haven’t regretted it. A dark color didn’t make the house warmer in the summer and I don’t think it looks smaller. In your case I think wither the herringbone or one of the blues would look great. Oh and we finished 6 months ago and still haven’t done the landscaping. I needed a break from decisions! Good luck!

karenandava thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

that's a beautiful blue!

• Stacey
    2 years ago

I like the herringbone with a dark red door. Adorable home!

karenandava thanked Stacey
  • karenandava
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I see what you are saying about the roof matching the siding. I will def consider a darker blue. I am changing the front door and hanging a light. I am also staining the wood under the portico. And adding trim around the front door and windows. Im afraid to go too dark be cause Im afraid it will fade?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Try looking at James Hardie siding. They have great colors and good quality. You get what u pay for!

• rfharmon
    2 years ago

I agree with Beth, your house is screaming ”please paint me hale navy” and james hardie is the way to go w/yellow, red, white, or cedar door. Best wishes!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Go dark blue. It shouldn’t fade if it’s siding. We had a medium dark blue house and barn that were painted and never faded. Your house is adorable and should be dressed to suit you. I would never choose my house color based on my neighbors’ colors. Do what you love. Staining the portico ceiling will only enhance the look of a deep blue. All the photos posted by @Beth H show how much lovelier the small houses look with a striking color and trim.

karenandava thanked RedRyder
  • doods
    2 years ago

Love all of Beth's examples. Sure hope you post a picture when your home is finished, lovely home!

karenandava thanked doods
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

My neighborhood is full of houses like yours. Those that have gone a little bolder than the safe, dull colors are the ones that are the most attractive, IMO. And by bolder I don't necessarily mean bright or odd colors, just not run of the mill beige, white, tan, dull gray (some gray is dull, some isn't!) with white trim - where it all just blurs together.

So I would look at forest, seagrass, pacific blue, cypress, spruce, flagstone - oxford blue perhaps, although I might prefer a dark blue or gray trim (if it is available)

Have you tried out the Colorview tool on the CertainTeed website? Click on Design&Inspiration on the top bar of the home page then choose Colorview - you can upload your good house photo and try out the different siding colors (as well as trim colors and style, and other textures for the area around the front door)

karenandava thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • karenandava
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Ive bewn on the Certainteed side, so I have an idea of what it will look like. I will check out the Monogram colors. My contractor auggested the Mainstreet line. Not sure if thats good quality? I also like the darker color with the trim contrast! would love to incorpororate cedar somewhere since I think the wood looks cool!

• mnmamax3
    2 years ago

Not sure if you are in the market for a new garage door or not... I have one of the woodtones doors in plank style and it is a showstopper - the most realistic woodgrain I have seen. Maybe the shaker style would be nice for your little cottage and allow you to bring in some more of the wood.

https://www.chiohd.com/homeowners/garage-doors/stamped-shaker

karenandava thanked mnmamax3
  • jackowskib
    2 years ago

Idea

karenandava thanked jackowskib
  • karenandava
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks to everyone that provided input, it was very much appreciated. I went with thrpe Flagstone siding. I still need to paint the front door and decide whether to put up shutters. Any suggestions on color?

2 years ago

I would go with a true red or darker red door!

karenandava thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • tfitz1006
    2 years ago

Dark red door. Def no shutters. It looks great. Very clean.

karenandava thanked tfitz1006
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Looks lovely, if I had seen this when you first posted, I would have suggested the Cypress because that's our siding color from Certainteed.

NO SHUTTERS.

Beautiful deep red or a plum for the door.

Your house is seriously adorable.

karenandava thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • doods
    2 years ago

Good choice on your siding, it makes a big difference, quite lovely!

karenandava thanked doods
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    2 years ago

Love the siding color - your house looks beautiful!

karenandava thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

Bravo on the siding! Love the white trim too. No shutters, for sure. The suggestion of a deep red is a no-brainer , but if you like yellow, several shades would work. And if you are a daredevil, a lime door would be a smile to your guests.

karenandava thanked RedRyder
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Looks great!

A few colors being mentioned:

Dark red

Purple

Dark yellow

Lime

I saw this lovely orange color with gray and really like it:

I don’t know what that one above is, but this one is SW Cavern Clay:

karenandava thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

No shutters.

I like that lime green or the canary yellow that Jinx did for you.

Someone mentioned red. I like this. But it HAS to be a vibrant red. no brick red, or blah red. Make it a lipstick red. a red that has blue undertones to it, not yellow. (Try SW Valentine)

AND, you must bring in the red foilage in the flower beds if you want to complete the look. I covered up your shrubs (which do nothing) so you can see how much nicer the entire front of the house would look. I also gave you a silver sconce and address numbers below it.

Replace those round shrubs w/a japanese maple and the red geraniums.

maria talks about pairing the front door w/complimentary colors w/plants and other decor.

https://mariakillam.com/create-gorgeous-curb-appeal-with-front-doors/

If you like the cooler tones, you could go w/any of the blues/blue-greens, but you'd have to bring in these beautiful blue tones in these ceramic pots to up the color in the flower beds and porch.

Love any of these colors.

But, I gotta say, I'm partial to the red/viole/pink end of the spectrum

Live a little. who wants a front door like everyone else? Besides, it's only paint.

Similar to BM Petunia Pink.

Dark siding w/a pale pink and white trim look great together.

Personally I'd go w/something a bit bolder, (and when spring comes along, give the flower beds a redo. those round shrubs do nothing to compliment the home. in fact, they blend into the dark siding. you don't want that. )

see what they've done here?

yes, I see your shrubs like they show in this pic! but they are against a light siding in this pic. With your dark siding, those shrubs disappear.

Fuchsia. I love this combo.

Wild Orchid color. Man I love me some lavender mixed w/pink and blues!

BM Exotic Fuchsia

Any of these colors would look amazing w/your siding. bring in some natural wood accents w/some chairs or some cedar window boxes.

A yam/goldenrod colored front door would be pretty w/vibrant greens and whites in your flower bed.

You want these bright chartreuse greens against your dark siding, regardless of your door color. flower colors will depend on what color door you choose.

here's the yam color w/your siding.

I left the pink/gray foilage, but the bright greens/whites and oranges/yellows would look better in your flower bed.

karenandava thanked Beth H. :
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I don’t have the photoshopping skills of others, so here a couple of screen shots: a gorgeous coral and a delicious plum.

Believe me, go bold with your favorite color, don't be ho-hum. My front door is a deep aqua and I LOOOOVE it, makes me smile every time i come home.

Paint large foam boards with your selections to help you choose.

karenandava thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I love that ^^ coral with the gray!