How do you make your coffee or tea, if you drink them at all?
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
Related Discussions
How often do you clean your tea kettles and do they mildew?
Comments (7)I don't have a tea kettle but I would assume that if you had a tea kettle with just a little bit of water sitting on the stove when not in use, bacteria, dust and other items present in the air will fall in the kettle and can create a slime factory over time if not cleaned. I personally use an electric tea kettle (British upbringing) and now graduated to a Japanese Airpot. I love my airpot. When I used an electric kettle, I never left water in it and washed it out weekly. I have filtered water and never had a problem with the tea kettles. I clean my airpot out weekly when I have no water left in it. Good luck!...See MoreDo you drink hot teas? Your beverage of choice?
Comments (51)I love spicy chai tea. I don't drink coffee at all, but in the winter, I usually have a cup of hot tea every day to warm me, as well as my hands, up. We were in Ireland in the fall and the tea was so delicious every where. I loved how it came served in a teapot every where we went. Toward the end of our trip, I found this gorgeous teapot at a small pottery shop. At that point, I'd already bought quite a few wool sweaters, an expensive painting, and a few other things at a different pottery shop. I didn't have room left in my bags, and I didn't want to spend the money on shipping this one small thing. I didn't get it. After we got home, I told dh I regretted it - this artist's style was quite unique, very colorful and abstract. He actually called and ordered me one for Christmas - that was quite a surprise! While I normally drink either Tazo, Stash or Trader Joe's tea, I decided I wanted to try using loose tea leaves like I had in Ireland. Finally, just last week, I stopped at a tea and spice shop and bought a bag of Chai and a bag of green tea leaves. I made my first cup on Friday and it was delicious! It was fun serving myself out of my new little teapot. I also really like iced tea but never make it at home. I've been meaning to, but just haven't bothered. It is my drink of choice though if I'm out at a restaurant in the summer. While I do like some sweet tea, I prefer my iced tea unsweetened, with just a touch of sugar and lemon. Daisy, I"ll have to try the Tazo zen tea. I'm still going to use bags for when I'm in a hurry, but my loose tea when I'm relaxing!...See MoreDo you drink coffee or tea?
Comments (34)Snookums, interesting find. But the abstract just says the researchers found small amounts of formaldehyde in commercially brewed and instant coffees in aqueous forms. It doesn't explicitly say anything about decaf coffee, and it certainly doesn't prove that formaldehyde is used to decaffeinate coffee (or rather, we can't discern that from the abstract.) As this report is 27 years old, I wonder why there has been no follow up or more extensive research if there is a formaldehyde issue. Too bad we can't read what's in the report to know if the coffees sampled were a broad spectrum of brands or even if it's an American study (brands readily available to us in our markets). I'd like to know if the study team postulated how the formaldehyde got into the coffee. Perhaps it occurs naturally? I found this in article via library online databases: "Natural carcinogenic and DNA damaging chemicals present in a cup of certified organic coffee (4) Aectaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo (a) pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz (a) anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, toluene." ( Gold LS, Slone TH, Stern BR, Manley NB, Ames BN. Rodent Carcinogens: Setting Priorities. Science 258, 261-265, 1992., cited in "Organic Food Sales Increasing 20% Annually Last 20 Years," Hale, Jamie. McClatchy - Tribune Business News [Washington] 05 Nov 2009.) In researching, I thought this was interesting: "Another argument raised against formaldehyde as a human leukemogen [cause of leukemia] has been the presence of potentially significant amounts of formaldehyde or formaldehyde precursors in food. However, food is a complex mixture of chemicals. For example, coffee contains caffeine that would be metabolized to formaldehyde, but among the close to a thousand other chemicals components identified in coffee, some are antioxidants that might well have anticarcinogenic activities. It is difficult to predict the toxicological effects of simple mixtures, let alone mixtures that have thousands of chemicals nor can the possibility be ruled out that formaldehyde derived from food intake plays a role in the existing background incidence of leukemia." (Hematological and toxicological evaluation of formaldehyde as a potential cause of human leukemia Goldstein, Bernard D. Human and Experimental Toxicology30.7 (Jul 2011): 725-35. )...See MoreHow do you make iced tea?
Comments (35)As much as I hate to say this, Wal-mart is now carrying Lusianne. (I hate to say it because I loathe WM, but it's the only place out here that I can get Lusianne.) And check the price because I discovered it's cheaper to buy two of the 24 ct boxes than a 48ct box. Go figure. I grew up in the south and didn't realize until I was a teenager that anyone drank unsweetened tea except diabetics. :) My DH is from the west and nearly went into convulsions the first time he had iced tea down south because it was so sweet. We reached a compromise, and now even I can't drink it as sweet as most places there serve it. Note, I have never know sugar to cause tea to go bad or taste funky. Old tea, improperly stored tea, teas sweetened with artificial sweeteners or with lemon or other "stuff" added to it, sure, but not refrigerated sweet tea. I use six family size bags per gallon (we like it strong and use lots of ice.) I heat water in my tea kettle. After it's steeped (which I don't bother to time), I add 1/2 cup sugar. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's perfect for us. Even my MIL is hooked on my tea now.) Note, you can't get away with that "however long" steeping with Lipton or Tetley, it gets bitter. Yes, tea bags can go "off", especially in humid climates. That's different from them going stale, and you'll know it immediately. It's a nasty, musty, metalic flavor. And, yes, tea can breed some nasty bacteria that will keep you occupied in the privy for awhile. In restaurants, the culprit isn't the urn itself as often as it is improper holding temps or the spigot on the urn. I went to work in one place where the spigot had NEVER been taken apart for cleaning. They cleaned the urn twice a day, but no one realized the spigot had to be taken apart for cleaning. I threw it out and ordered new ones....See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
Related Stories

LIFEHow Do You Make Your Tea and Coffee in the Morning?
A morning cup is a must for many, and preparation comes in many guises. We look at coffee and tea habits across the Houzz community
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHot Ideas and Tips for Coffee and Tea Stations
Let options like drawer inserts and built-in coffeemakers percolate now, so your hot-drinks station can best serve holiday guests
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSNeat Little Project: Make an All-in-One Stool, Mini Table and Ottoman
One piece, at least 3 uses. Plus, you can vary the measurements of this sturdy wooden stool to make it just the right size for you
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Tea and Coffee Accessories
19 teapots, coffee makers, mugs and more to brew your morning cup in style
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESMake All White Look So Right
All-white rooms are harder than they look. Here's how to blend white tones for pure perfection in bathrooms, kitchens and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNToday’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSDining Set Makeover: Paint and Tea-Tinted Fabric Make Old Chairs New
Reclaim dated dining chairs for far less than buying new, using spray paint, modern fabric and a handful of tea bags
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNNew This Week: Moody Kitchens to Make You Rethink All-White
Not into the all-white fascination? Look to these kitchens for a glimpse of the dark side
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Brew a Perfect Cup of Coffee or Tea
Get your caffeine fix in style with well-designed accoutrements from makers to mugs
Full Story
FURNITURE10 Kinds of Glass Coffee Tables That Can Make a Room
Want to elevate your living room’s elegance? It’s easy to go right with a stunning glass coffee table
Full Story
jmm1837