SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarbowcow

How to fade or lighten natural linen

scarbowcow
2 years ago

I bought a length of vintage linen online. In the pictures, it was off-white/pale grey. In reality, it's about the same shade as a brown paper bag - brownish-grey, but as dark as a brown paper bag. It's much darker than I need or can use.

I've searched online for 'how to bleach linen,' 'how to fade linen,' etc., to no avail. All I get is results for how to get stains out of linen or remove dyed-in color from linen. I want to remove the natural brown from the linen and make the cloth several shades lighter. In the picture, you can see a brown paper bag on the left and a white piece of paper on the right. The cloth is in the middle. I'd like to tone it down to about the same color as is shown on the selvedge edge. Then it would be useful to me. Does anyone here have expertise on how to lighten linen? By the way, I need it for a project I'm making for Christmas (we're in late November), so I can't just hang it out in the sunshine for a few months.

There has to be a way that natural linen is faded or bleached down to white for tablecloths and so on. I don't need it bright white. I just also don't need it BROWN.

Comments (4)

Sponsored