SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick_garibay

Rug for living room - please help

Rick Garibay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

We just got some new furniture to replace an old couch which better complements our existing leather sofa. We have been playing with the angles and think we've found what we like but are now struggling to find the right rug and fit.

As you can see from the photo, the entertainment center is square against the wall. Our existing big couch, pictured to the right, is angled 45 degrees relative to the entertainment center. The new love seat (middle) is parallel and the chair is roughly 100 degrees off the entertainment center.

Measuring the open floor space (large tile), if we plan for a foot off the entertainment center, we need a width of 7 to 8 feet and a length of 14 feet. However, these are not standard rectangular sizes.

Though a length of 14 feet will work lengthwise, allowing the front feet of the long couch and chair to be on top of the rug, the problem we have is that 9 or 10 feet of width is too long - the rug would extend past the big couch for about a foot and half which I think would look odd (looking from the back of the couch). It also is in the walkway to the back yard.

Sorry if I've explained things in a confusing way (not a designer LOL) but here are some pics that show the layout along with some mock ups of 10 x 14 rugs.

Questions:

1. Is there a rug layout that will allow for length coverage (14 feet) but not exceed the width of the large couch on the right such that it shows behind the couch?

2. Is there a smaller rug size we should consider? e.g. should we consider an 9 x 12 which is smaller and would not cover all front legs?

3. Would it by *crazy* to just cut or tuck the exceeding width under the long couch so it doesn't protrude the back?

3. Should we consider a different shape? I am not crazy about oval but it could work. Square might also be an option if the edge is straight to the left edge of the middle love seat.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer