SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virginia_knight16

Wolf range knob "drift" - won't stay in place

Virginia Knight
2 years ago

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, just let me know where to redirect! I bought a Wolf range (dual fuel) about 5 years ago. About 3 years ago, I decided to be cute and clean the burner knobs. They came out feeling sort of greasy, like they were covered with vaseline. (I am not handy at all, and I don't work on cars, so please stop laughing that I'm not sure what this substance was.) I cleaned them and proudly put them back in their places (of course I kept track of which knob went where!)

They still "work" but now they don't want to stay in place. So I turn them up to medium, and automatically, they sort of slowly slide back down into very low. They don't go off, just to very low. Eventually I can futz with them enough that I can get them where I need them to go and they will stay put, but it's annoying. I called the repair folks and they said that they had never heard of this before. (I claim that's silly, because there are YouTube videos describing the same issue with no solution other than "call support".) The repair place said I needed to get a bunch of stuff replaced, which sounds wrong to me, since how can just cleaning something make it required that I replace hundreds of dollars in parts (thousands? I don't have a quote yet). And if a $5000 commercial-grade range can get addled by someone doing a light cleaning on some knobs, that sounds like a design flaw to me.

Anyone else have this experience? Should I look for some more grease to apply and see if that fixes things? Thanks in advance for whatever guidance you can provide!

Comments (95)