Houzz Logo Print
stimyg_gw

Wolf or American Range?

stimyg
16 years ago

I've narrowed my choices of a 30" all gas range down to:

Wolf 30" AG, at about $4000.

American Range 30" AG, at about $3000.

Money is an issue, when isn't it?, but in the much much larger cost of building a house, not a huge factor. The biggest factory is what I'll be happy with, long term.

The specs are similar.

Burners, American has 2x17K, 1x13K, and 1x9k. Wolf has 4x16K.

The American Range oven is a bit bigger. (4.8 cu feet vs 2.7, according to the literature, but that CAN'T be right. To the eye, I'd say that it's 4" wider, not sure how much deeper. It is a bit bigger, yes. I'm not a big baker, but there's always thanksgiving.) Has sealed burners.

The Wolf has those semi-sealed burners, I guess you'd call it. (Anyone have trouble with clean up?)

I like the looks of the Wolf a bit better, and I admit, looks are important to me.

Wolf has a well-known name, could help with resale value in the house down the road, and should be easier to get serviced. American Ranges are practically unknown.

The one dealer I spoke to - Reno's in NJ - who carries American Range, was pushing them hard over the Wolf (which he also carried). Pushing them so hard, that it almost made me wonder why. If out of pure love for a superior product, or if perhaps as the exclusive dealer in the entire area, that perhaps they get a much better cut, even on a cheaper product. Hard to say. Wish I knew.

Not that there's anything wrong with the American as far as I can tell!

But I don't know, I've been wanting a Wolf for a long time, based on little more than the fact that it's a Wolf. And those knobs, those damn seductive knobs!

But, c'mon, $1K less for the American, and a larger oven to boot!

Any thoughts will be welcomed. No comment too small.

(And seriously - has anyone had any troubles keeping their Wolf burners clean? My Significant Other is easily scared by talk of difficult cleanups.)

Thanks!!!

Comments (25)