SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larebare

Help choosing exterior color 1941 cottage

Christie
2 years ago

I need some help choosing a color scheme for the exterior of my house, specifically the siding, trim, and shutters.

Porch - this is in the process of being stripped and re-painted white

Awnings - I would like to keep the awnings the same color (white with green stripe)

Siding - currently cedar shingles painted white. I really, really wanted to get them totally stripped and re-painted, but I was turned down by 2 painters and quoted “at least $15k, maybe more” by another. Most of the houses in my neighborhood were built in the 1940s, and the vast majority have vinyl siding of varying quality. The ones that aren’t vinyl have asbestos or brick. It is a working class neighborhood, not located in an historic district. Some houses look amazing, and some are very run down.

My original plan was 8” white lap vinyl, white trim, green shutters to match the awnings. My contractor/friend brought over Everlast 7”lap today, and he is really talking it up. If I go that route, it seems a shame to do white since it’s such a beautiful material. I wonder if the slate or seaside gray with green shutters and white trim would look ok?

Any input is much appreciated. TIA!

Comments (3)