SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenme

Kitchen Layout (Revised) Opinions Please

2 years ago

After taking some of the suggestions shared in my first post into consideration, and pouring through the documents shared by mama goose_gw zn6OH, I arrived at what I *think* is the layout solution that serves all my needs.

The design/build company we’ve hired loves it, but I’d like a “second” set of eyes that will be willing to rip this apart without worrying about my feelings. But, you know, be nice.

This layout gives me:

• Required flow from garage and a more usable mudroom.
  • Very focused cooking zone with a sink, cooktop, oven, and fridge close together.
  • Gathering space on the south/west corner of the island
  • Flow from dining table to dishwasher and dishes without impeding the cooking zone
  • Flow to the beverage/breakfast station without crossing the cooking zone
  • Enough room in the cooking zone for 2…. I think
  • Upwards of 4’ of counter space for a baking zone
  • The space on the North/East corner of the island is the prep zone where a recessed stool will live so I can sit when I chop, etc. It’s not a huge amount of counter space but it’s enough…. I think.

Things I’m still considering:

First and most importantly: once we leave 4’ for the corridor from the dining to the beverage area or into the pantry, and whatever required space is needed on the other side of the island in the pinch point to access the dishes, I worry this island will be crowded and feel tiny (My drawing has that pinch point at less than 36" and that's an issue. I've already compromised on the garbage situation in order to make space for my chef's seat. The solution I see is pushing the east wall back a bit (red line) to accommodate the largest island I can handle in the space.)

Considering an additional small sink and dishwasher in the pantry as well… necessary?

Wrestling with the fridge options. Designer wants two 24” full fridge built-ins. Our existing fridge is roughly 23 cf but that includes a freezer. I’m worried two 24” full fridges will seem like the same amount of space as our current at a much much higher price point. Not to mention the space it’ll take up. I’m having a terrible time finding resources to help decide how much refrigeration our family needs!

I’m really struggling with the cooking appliances. I’d love a 36” range with the double oven below and induction on top. Cafe does make a 30” induction range with double oven. I’m struggling because A) 6 burners verses 4-5 would be amazing and B) I feel like a 30” range in this space won’t match the house and will impact resale. Cafe does make a 36” double oven with gas but I’ve grown set on induction.

There is a $26k Thermador 48” gas/induction range with side-by-side double ovens but it will eat up more counter and cabinet space and ….well, it’s $26k!! *sigh*

So I’m considering a 36” induction cooktop and placing two wall ovens in the space below the cooktop. The ovens width will extend beyond the width of the cooktop. I thought a standard sized oven directly below the cooktop and a much smaller steam oven beside it with room for a drawer below for storage.

Some compromises:

I really wanted a kitchen couch. I doubt this layout allows even for a small armchair in the corner.

I would have loved a nice big island without a sink or cooktop. But I’ve messed around with this kitchen for hours and can’t seem to come up with a solution that doesn't see *something* on the island.

Would love some help, thoughts, encouragement that this is the right direction... anything! Thank you!

Comments (15)