SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

What do you think of Andersen Renewal windows & doors?

toxcrusadr
2 years ago

We got an estimate for replacement of a patio door and a 6-ft-wide x 4 ft tall kitchen window. Frankly I'm horrified at the price, but I have not looked at any other windows and doors yet.

Andersen has this line of windows made for replacement in existing buildings, as opposed to new construction. They don't seem to have the flange around the outside, so they can install them without removing siding. I don't know how they seal them in but presumably they have a system. They have to be sourced from and installed by Andersen, you can't go buy them at the local supplier and install them yourself.

The patio door now is one swinging door and one fixed window. They don't have one of those so the replacement was a sliding door. The window is now two windows that each slide up vertically to open. They would replace with a fixed center window and a horizontally sliding window on either side.

Their material is similar to Trex decking: plastic with wood dust. It seems sturdy and the units nicely made.

Guy said all the other windows are either wood, wood covered with vinyl or metal (which will rot under the covering), or vinyl. No one has their magic durable composite.

The cost for the whole shebang? $13k and change! For a door and a window. This is with a discount for buying more than one item. But prices will go up soon because of inflation.

Sorry but my car cost only a little more than that. I just don't spend like that. But someone must buy this stuff! Yikes.

What's a good window? Walkout ranch, 1989, vinyl siding, not a dump but not a fancy expensive home either. Very middle class.

Comments (19)