SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thor_odhner

Issues adding C wire for Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd gen)

Thor Odhner
2 years ago

I bought a new 3rd gen Nest thermostat to replace an older battery powered Honeywell thermostat.

I have separate heating (Oil burner with hot water radiators) and cooling (central air) systems. My older thermostat had Rc, Y, G, Rh, and W wires connected.

When I set it up the same way on the Nest, all worked as expected, but the Nest wouldn't stay charged. A little research showed that I needed a C wire.

First, I made use of an unused wire wrapped out of the way coming from the heat cord as my C, and on the other end, I connected it to a bundle of common wires leading back to the C terminal on my 24V transformer.

Rh to C measured 24V as it should, but suddenly the Nest wouldn't recognize the Rh and Rc wires. When I removed the C, it would recognize them again. I did notice that I was getting about ~20V across Rc and C, rather than zero which seemed odd.

So, I scrapped the C wire from the heat side and I tried the method of using the fan wire as my C (and moving it to "B" on my A/C transformer, which seems to be what the outside unit returns its common to.

The system is now working as desired, but:

1. I'd prefer a solution that lets me run my fan independent of the A/C when desired, and

2. I'm still getting an error/warning that Rh is detected but not attached to equipment (Rh shows up as gray text on the wiring diagram while all others show up as black). In spite of this, Rh to W measures 24V as it should, Rh to C is zero (which I think is correct, since C is now coming from the A/C side) and the heating function all works as is should.

I'm really confused about what's going on. Any ideas?

Comments (3)