SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_709871010

Need help sealing off upper apartment system from lower

Dr Pepper
2 years ago

Hey guys, I moved into a second floor apartment in a 2 story home that is owned by friends. Beyond paying rent, I've been fixing the place up over the past year out of appreciation for being like family to me over the years.

Anyway, I'm having an issue with the heating system. I realize that 99% of the time professionals are needed to service these things and I don't want to attempt to do anything that would put myself or my family at risk, nor step on anyone's toes. Having said that, I'm simply asking questions to suss out what I may be able to do myself if it's a matter of basic maintenance, or, speed up the process of pointing a professional in the direction I need them to look.

The issue is, my buddy downstairs sometimes cooks potent dinners, super late at night. Love the guy, but that stuff somehow goes through his heating system and into mine, stinking the place up to high heavens. I went down and looked everything over. There's two completely different systems, with his unit about 10 feet away from mine. Checking out all the duct work, the problem starts with the fact his air intake is in his kitchen... sucking the cooking smell directly from the source. It then obviously gets heated and enters the ducts to go to various parts of his apartment. The next problem could be that a section of his duct work runs parallel to a section of mine, an inch apart at most, and that there appears to be some gaps in both ducts... suggesting the smell could be leaching from his and getting sucked into mine.

That appears to be great news, because all it would involve is either relocating his intake location and/or simply using proper duct tape to seal the gaps in both our ducts. Trouble is this... one of mine, a completely separate duct from all of the rest on it's own independent run, goes NOWHERE near any of his... yet the stink still comes out of it. How is that even possible? My air intake is nowhere near anything of his, so that's not it. Also, the basement does not stink at all of the kitchen fumes. I'm no expert, but any idiot can trace where something is coming from... yet I'm completely dumbfounded here. Any ideas?

I figured I'd pick people's brains here before dropping big bucks on an HVAC tech... we just had a baby and all. I can take pics tomorrow if it helps. Anyway, thanks in advance!

Comments (5)