SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missstella_gw

No heat, getting cold, need help evaluating system recommendation

missstella
12 years ago

Okay, so our upstairs unit died and it is getting cold. Thankfully, we have a working unit downstairs so we can keep the majority of the living space warm for now, but I really need to make a decision about these systems.

The upstairs unit heats/cools approximately 1000 square feet of living space--3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. The home is located in Atlanta and is approximately 60 years old. Our current unit is 2.5 tons AC with gas furnace and has been adequate for our needs. The unit is in the attic. Insulation in the attic is R30 (I believe) and all windows are fairly new double-pane. We installed a Carrier duel fuel unit several years ago to replace our downstairs unit and have been happy with it so far--A 3 ton/80% AFUE unit heating/cooling approximately 1600 sq. feet over basement/crawl space.

I've had quotes from two companies and prices are similar (not great prices, but I think quality units and quality companies). Both companies have recommended new duct work.

The issue is this, one company has suggested that a 2 ton system will be adequate for us with a minor insulation upgrade and the other company is suggesting a 3 ton system. On the surface, both systems look alot alike, but the tonnage difference makes me wonder and I worry about being over or under served. This is a long term home for us and comfort is key. What's your opinion/recommendation?

Company 1 - Carrier system

Furnace 58CUA070 80% AFUE 70000 BTUs

Heat Pump 25 HWB624 16 SEER 2 tons

Coil C30H

Infinity controller

He recommended new duct work with some supply rework to alleviate hot spots and additional insulation.

Company 2 Rheem system

Furnace RGPE-07GAMKR 80% AFUE 70000 BTUs

Heat Pump RPQL-036JEC 16 SEER 36000BTU 3 tons

Coil RCFL-83617CC

Thermostate RHC-TST305UI

He recommended a damper system for the new duct work to alleviate hot/cold spots.

Comments (18)