SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

bills are lower w/new system

cindywhitall
11 years ago

I wanted to share that I think my investment may have been worth it in my upgrades this year. It may not pay for itself totally, but my bill was $55 lower for gas and $24 for electric. Don't know how electric rates have changed since one year ago. BUT, my bills for Jan were $79 lower AND my monthly payment for the work I got done is $83. (zero interest).

Just got my January bill and it is 25% lower than last year despite it being 1 degree colder, per South Jersey Gas. My therms used were down 25% from 173 to 130 and the payment due was also 25% lower. December was only down about 17% which I barely noticed, the price was $114 vs $138 the year before.

I got my old (approx 57% eff) gas hot water heater replaced with the tankless (95% navien). My 126k, 90% btu furnace replaced with 97% 100k btu (and I know it's a little oversized....but figure 2 stage helps compensate) and the air sealing done in the attic.

Something apparently worked to bring my bill down! I know the efficiency of the furnace is not that different, but I assume it was helpful that it probably ran often in 1st stage around 66btu instead of my old one only ran at 126btu.

My electric is still high . Used 875 kwh this year and 1010 last year, could be savings from LED xmas lights for one week of the bill. It's gone up over the years, probably due to the young adults each having a TV and a computer as well as me and hubby.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else is contemplating upgrades and/or air sealing.

Comments (15)