SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Ground cover recommendation for zone 7A

I'm in 7A, western North Carolina... in the foothills, not quite in the mountains.

I have 9 flower gardens that I mulch every year, which costs a little over $1,000 and takes a good 2 weeks to finish :-O Someone on here suggested that I do a ground cover instead, and at first I balked at the idea! But the more I think about it? I dunno, maybe. At least for the parts away from the walkways.

Can you recommend a groundcover that:

1. is evergreen

2. is dark in color (dark brown, black, etc), OR bright and vibrant (white or blue)

3. can handle light traffic (me walked occasionally to get to sections, or the 25lb dog trying to find a place to pee)

4. deer / rabbit tolerant

5. doesn't attract pests (specifically voles and ants)

6. does well in full sun to part shade

7. does well with both sprinklers and sections with only rain for water

8. loose enough that other flowers can grow through it

I currently have areas of Anne Marie ivy and Creeping Jenny, but they're way too light in color and the green tones just blend in with the adjoining grass and defeats the purpose. I want something that at least kind of looks like dark mulch, or failing that then something that's super bold and stands out.

I also have a little Chocolate Chip ajuga (bugleweed), and I'm kind of thinking about something like that (Black Scallop ajuga, maybe). But I would rather have something that, if it flowers at all, then it doesn't have bold flowers like this does. I much prefer the ground cover to fade in to the background and let the other flowers be the show, not take away from them.

Comments (8)