SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_farm

Potted olive tree outdoors year round in zone 7a (central NC)?

sabine_farm
4 years ago

Hello, I wonder if I can get some advice. I have a potted arbequina olive tree, about 8 years old that I usually bring indoors during the coldest months. It doesn’t like that at all and drops many leaves and often gets scale. I’ve decided I want to leave it outside all year round, in a half wine barrel container on our concrete patio or wood deck or grassy area (all south facing). I have read that containers should sit directly on the ground so they can absorb some of the grounds warmth, rather than have an air gap underneath (if placed on feet). The barrel has large drainage holes. My guess is that the concrete patio will retain more warmth as it is directly on the ground, whereas the wood deck is raised a few feet off the ground. The grassy area might rot the bottom of the barrel more quickly.

Any recommendations on whether I should place the barrel directly on the patio, deck or grass, or is it a must to have feet? I know the wood deck will eventually get water damage without the feet, but I care more about the olive tree staying warm enough over the winter, than the old deck at this point!

Any experiences to share container gardening in wine barrels in zone 7? Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor