SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_bundy43

Please help! "New Normal" siding delays - need some appealing options

D B
2 years ago

I could use some help. With our "new normal", certain exterior finishes are hard to get. I've found product that I love but have been told it won't be available until summer 2022 and some companies have even said won't sell until 2023.

We bought a small 3 bedroom ranch home right before covid. It's an older home and what started out as a simple rennovation turned into a total gut due to numerous issues that our contractor found. Due to city restrictions and covid, we decided to simplify our renovation and add 20' to the very small kitchen and also add a large open gabled porch.

I would like to use a creamy white color for siding. I believe it matches the best with the limestone - white feels too cold. Gutters will match the siding. Front door will be a 4 lite - wood door with 14" sidelites - ordered. Porch will be wrapped in cedar - we think 12" square cedar posts - making mock posts this weekend to decide if size works.

Some info about the house:

1. house has a lot of IN limestone on the front left edge, and sides of the home. We've decided to keep and clean the limestone, and also add limestone to the rt side garage wall to make the front of the home symetrical.

2. Rt side of home has a window next to garage - new laundry room off of kitchen. Took a small 1 1/2 car garage and made it a large enough to get a large truck to fit. Took the extra square footage to make a large galley upstairs laundry.

3. On the rt side of the house you will notice a vertical patch of limestone. That is a limestone closet at the back of the garage that cannot be removed. We are getting a quote for filling in the entire wall with limestone. $$

4. We added an additional large master closet to the master bedroom in the rear of home which accounts for the extra storage room underneath the home in the left side of the back of the house.

5. Doors on side of home and right rear of home are on order - will match the black windows full lite glass black fiberglass.

6. Electrical wires on back have house were just buried underground.

7. Landscaping: we are working with a nursery architect. Will not plant small plants and work around the house until house is finished.

8. New driveway - extra wide

Was hopeful for some suggestions. The existing home's roof is not a tall roof. We moved to IN from a very dry and warm climate and was used to stucco homes. I hoped to use stucco here but it is not used on homes here in IN. Artificial stucco is used but I do not like the look after it has been up for several years - damage and discoloration. Nichiha has beautiful product and I love their Savannah Smooth cement siding; however, they are not selling to residential buyers until 2023. I would like to find a Savannah Smooth look though. I like how the lap siding can be hung in different widths to give it an uneven look.

As an fyi - this is not our forever home. We moved here for family. Would like to keep it as budget friendly as the "new normal" will allow.

Thank you for any suggestions you can provide - horizontal lap, vertical, architectural wall boards, a different color??? Love reading everyone's suggestions. ;)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!