SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_chambers68

Should I pair matching undertones or opposite undertones?

John Chambers
2 years ago

New to interior design and constructing an attached apartment build right now. Trying to decide on the best wall and floor color combo. I keep hearing mixed messages that you should pair undertones that are on the opposite ends of the color wheel, (blues pair with oranges, and reds pair with greens) but then I hear others say you should keep the undertones the same. (Blue undertoned gray wall? -> go with blue undertoned gray floors) (Warm undertoned floors -> Warm undertoned wall)

I'm very confused as to when to balance a color out by adding the opposite, or when to bring more of the undertone out by adding the same undertones elsewhere. Thanks!

In case you wanna know, the colors we're looking at are "Reflection" for the main color (living + kitchen + hallway) and an "In the Navy" accent wall for some drama and contrast:

For the floor, we're leaning towards a mid-toned gray brown luxury vinyl plank, which by the way, I need help identifying its undertone, it's a little hard for me to tell. It looks gray in natural light and brown in unnatural light:

The apartment is very open with high ceilings and big windows, so natural light isn't an issue. Thanks again!

Comments (14)