SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

What fits? - Studio for aging parents.

Kendrah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My mind envisions spaces as much larger than they actually are! Can the following fit comfortably in the living space of this studio apartment without being a tripping hazard?

* Queen bed and nightstands

* 42" or larger table with two armed dining chairs

* A wingback chair and maybe one other reading chair

* And where would a TV go?

We may have the rare chance to buy this studio across the hall from our 2 bedroom coop unit. (Fingers crossed!) This comes as my aging parents, who live 7 hours away, are coping with new health challenges. My goal is to create a comfortable and functional space that they love visiting so much they will want to stay for months at a time, giving my siblings a break from caregiving. We'd eat meals and hang out together in our big apartment. They could sleep, have privacy, breakfast, chill out in the studio, and watch TV.

What is realistic in this size space? They are tall, reasonably fit people. They don't like to feel cramped and like an orderly space. They have iphones, ipads, books, and my dad needs surface space for zoom meetings and to layout paper documents. (He is a stellar volunteer!) My mom likes reading in a wingback chair with tea nearby.

Thanks!

Comments (92)