SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkritt

Dining Room chair opinion please, please

mkritt
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hi, this is our teeny, tiny dining room. It measures 8 x 12. I don't mind that it's small, actually the only space that seems to remain clean all the time :) and we only eat in there on holidays. I have it in my head (after going on a homes tour) that I would like to have these Jackson Metal Tub Chairs from World Market instead of the chairs I currently have. I found one on Craigslist and bought it to see. I would like four and then replace the end two with some other type chair. Today I looked on Craigslist and found more (jumping up with joy) at a really good price. Please give me your opinion on what you think they would look like. (The curtain rod needs to be moved in, thought I would like it wider, didn't).

I have a pic of the chairs in my dining room ideabook, but being a computer illiterate, I can't figure out how to get it in my comments. I know how I'm supposed to but it doesn't seem to work :(

Thank you for any imput!

Comments (674)

• User
    10 years ago
    Happy Thanksgiving! Hope your husband recovers swiftly! Please keep me posted on the snoring! I am back in the guest room...
  • User
    10 years ago
    Oh love the chairs, just perfect! If you need help with the frame let me know and I can have my hubs draw something up for you!
  • Related Discussions

Opinions please on this dining room set

Q

Comments (19)
    I vote with the others that your set is nicer and would keep it. Why does the hutch have to match? This is my own bias speaking but I don't care for rooms where everything is matchy-matchy. I do think that furniture should complement and coordinate with the other pieces and yours does that. Doing that makes for a much more interesting room. Do whatever else you are planning with paint or drapes or artwork and then see what you think. My dining room consists of a dining table that is about 90 years old that was my grandmothers and a hutch that is about 60 years old that my uncle made in grade 12 woodwork.
    ...See More

Opinions please, on Dining Room chairs

Q

Comments (11)
    Those upholstered chairs are from Overstock. Regretfully, there are no reviews, so if you order them, you are ordering a pig in a poke (what is a pig in a poke?) The price isn't too bad, 2 for $500. If you are only going to pull the extra chairs in when you have a large group for dinner, then I'm not sure it really matters what the additional chairs look like. I think fitting around the table and looking good in other areas of the house override matching what you have. Have you checked Craigslist in your area? Here is a link that might be useful: upholstered host chairs
    ...See More

dining table and chair - your opinion please!

Q

Comments (6)
    It's a classically-referenced table and a modern-referenced chair. I think it could possibly work, but it's not screaming out to me as a perfect pairing. As a pairing, it gives me sort of a hip coastal vibe. Is that what you're going for? Also, whites are hard to match. Are you comfortable the whites will match in this case?
    ...See More

please help with new dining room chairs

Q

Comments (0)
    We have had these dining room chairs for about 20 years and they are starting to fall apart. Can anyone please help me choose some new ones? Looking for something casual and comfortable. As you can see we have a lot of black, stained wood, and white in the space.
    ...See More
  • kcooz07
    10 years ago
    Really like the DR chairs mk, hope you can get more. And your centerpiece is very cute! Happy Turkey Day!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you kcooz07, hopefully next week! Happy Turkey Day to you!

Margaret, oh dear... I've been in the "guest" room for 17 years now! I'll keep you posted. I keep looking at your framed tv and want my whole wall to look like that!! Thanks for the offer. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Tom's surgery got me out of cooking :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

There are tv's you can buy that look like mirrors when they are not operating. Also, you can take a regular tv and place a dvd in it that keeps looping the same thing. For example, fish swimming in a fish take……or the ocean waves lapping against a shore.
    mkritt thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • transit14
    10 years ago
    I would like to comment on the curtains. I personally like them wider, lets in more light and makes the window appear larger. I was thinking if you had a white curtain rod it would match the white trim, Wouldn't be so noticeable. About the chairs, haven't seen them, so don't want to comment.
    mkritt thanked transit14
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Is this your dining room inspiration? Note that vase is in contrasting color to shutter, which adds contrast and floral is larger and more airy than yours.

This arrangement does not seem to fit in the direction you are going, but if you like it, that is all that counts.

If you are going to use it, It think a blue vase would be better and your floral arrangement should be larger and airier.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    With your blue chairs, stick anything blue in the center and see how it pulls it all together. Do you have a blue vase?
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    I thought this post started out as dining room chairs? IMO, I like the tall wood chairs you have at the table now, the short metal ones don't go at all and just remind me of someone putting in outside chairs around their table until they find nice ones they like :)
    mkritt thanked diyher
  • User
    10 years ago
    Diyher go back to November 25th and the Chairs that Mkritt selected are there, very elegant blue chairs not the metal chairs.
    mkritt thanked User
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    My photo post does not expand. Sorry. Look on Sept 13 for original photo.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Margaret and mkritt - I've grown to really like my guest room:) It's easier than sleepless nights for either person-and at my age sometimes good sleep is a challenge so we both have our sleeping issues. Hope the surgery works. My husband has had a few different procedures (can't remember what they were called) but he still snores:) I've kind of given up stressing about it but travel is definitely complicated. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Morning after! Will be glad to get back to my "normal" eating haha!

Husband has a deviated septum which is apparently the cause for his sleep apnea. He is of a healthy weight (give or take 10lbs) but he had a heart attack five years ago (type A personality, stressful job, questionable eating at the meals I didn't control). Cardiologist wanted this done, so hopeful that it will help. But like Ann, I am used to my own space and also have a bit of insomnia at times so, no matter what, I am staying put :)

CDR I do have a blue vase, the centerpiece is definitely going to go through lots of transformation. I'll post a picture next week after I get the other two chairs. I wish I could take better pictures. The fact that I know my room looks better then the camera shows gives me hope when I see a crappy picture of myself :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Haha mkritt. That is hilarious! Or, another way to put it is what my mother used to say.

"Hey, they worse I look, the better it makes everybody else feel!"

Your dining room looks great. I just think you need to have one focal point for the centerpiece. The animals are interesting enough to stand on their own. Notice how in your inspiration, the floral is the centerpiece with candles accenting the floral.

So, it needs more work, but will get there.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Mkritt, boy do I know what you mean about pictures. Sometimes I can see a room of mine looks balanced scale wise or a grouping that looks really good and the pictures don't show that at all. Pictures of me are tougher though - 99% of them get deleted instantly!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    CDR funny quote by your mother; too true haha! The centerpiece will probably change a lot. I like looking at different ideas. Pretty soon my little Christmas tree will be sitting on it.

Ann, I am the same way LOL! My husband will take a picture and immediately tell me not to delete it. As a matter of fact, yesterday he was camera happy so I can't wait to get my hands on his camera..delete, delete, delete!!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Drum roll please...here is the finished product. Sorry the pictures aren't very good; a dreary rainy, sleety, soon to be snowy evening.

Thinking about adding the leaf back; putting these chairs on each side and getting larger ones for the ends... but I'll keep that to myself for a while so I don't give husband another heart attack :-)

I found some prints I like, so after Christmas I will have them framed to replace the two little pictures on the left.

Season's Greetings everyone!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Wow, awesome.
    mkritt thanked armygirl1987
  • Lia
    10 years ago
    looks great! Have a Merry Christmas!!
    mkritt thanked Lia
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Those chairs look great!!!!
    mkritt thanked Ann
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Those chairs are great! Thanks for updating. Merry Christmas!

Have we talked about a mirror for the wall where the small prints are? Can't remember. I think it would be a good option.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Looks incredible!!! Merry Christmas!
    mkritt thanked User
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    CDR - she just said she found new prints to be framed for that spot:):)
    Merry Christmas to all of you! I've so enjoyed 2013 with all of you and so happy I found Houzz this year. It's my favorite social life and truly very important to me!!!!!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Merry Christmas Ann
  • User
    10 years ago
    Merry Christmas Ann and thank you for all your help this year!
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Love the little train under the tree-my son loved trains as a kid. He still has a soft spot for them. He came home the other day, and I had some Christmas stuff strewn about. On the coffee table was this little plastic train set that looked like it was made out of candy. He picked it up and put it in his pocket, and I just laughed, because that's exactly what I knew he was going to do, since all the train stuff is basically "his" anyway.
    If I don't post anything before Christmas, I hope you all have a great one.
    mkritt thanked lucindalane
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Ann, thanks for letting me know about the prints. I just read right over that. I should never reply at night, as I am not as focused as I should be.

Trains: I can't believe I missed that (2 misses in one night!) We bought-scale trains for our boys (garden scale----the large ones). Each year, it was quite an operation setting them up. (Looks easy, but a million tiny parts and electrical connections to set up and then go wrong!).

Now, my oldest son has taken some of them and sets the trains up at his own house. It is wonderful to see that he still enjoys this so much.

As a matter of fact, each year, I write songs (humorous take-offs of real Christmas songs to sing at Christmas.) One song this year will be "Walkin in a G-scale wonderland". The song depicts my son, loving setting up the trains, the trains slowly taking over the house (both visually and audibly) and his wife sort of rolling her eyes-----all exaggerated, but that is part of the fun.

If you are looking for a Christmas activity, my sister started me on this idea, and people love it.

Merry Christmas to all of you!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    CDR that is a wonderful tradition to have! You are multi-talented!

Merry Christmas to all my new Houzz friends. I look forward to "seeing" all of you in the new year!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Believe me, the songs are not that good!

Happy New Year!
  • PRO
    All The Trimmings
    10 years ago
    Sorry, but new chair style does not relate to your table. You are right about the curtain rod. Finials should be right at fabric edge. They are a design feature. The rod is not.
    mkritt thanked All The Trimmings
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @trimmings when I originally posted this, I mentioned that I had the curtains moved in to show how they were going to be once again. I thought I would want them wider with more panels but did not. They have since been lowered and the curtain rods moved in. If you scroll up a bit, you will see that I totally changed the chairs; with a few tweaks the room is almost done :-)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Trimmings….,mkritt took your suggestions. She's a quick worker! I think it looks great!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOL CDR!! You should edit that to took MY suggestions :-)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Haha. I've been on discussions with over 1000 posts and had people suggest things based upon the initial post over and over. Rarely, do they predict exactly what the poster actually did. So, gotta hand it to Trimmings!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hi mkritt! I have a client who wants to use the Granada rug. May I ask what the wall paint color is in your living room and in your sun room? Thanks!
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi CDR!!! The color in the DR is SW 7738 Cargo Pants and the sunroom is SW 7621 Silvermist.
    Miss "working" with you...I'm slowly coming out of hibernation to start on my long list of projects :-))
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much!! Yes, just post on here once you get started again! Looking forward to it.
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi CDR! I finally got the nerve and painted the fireplace. The room is so much brighter now!

I just finished the last coat; new mantle on husband's list, décor on mine. I just wanted to show you how a suggestion you made way back when turned out :-)

Happy Spring!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Looks fantastic!!! I see the furniture arrangement has changed again, :)
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you!

Sigh Margaret...I'm hopeless. But I actually discovered my problem with the L-shape before. I don't like just a bit of rug showing on either side of the sofa. Soooo breaking all the decorating rules I got a smaller rug (rather then larger) that is basically just under the coffee table and now I'm happy..no really, it's staying this way..really...maybe..
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Wow, that looks great! You finally have your calm blue and white living room. I like the couch gone from the one side. I see the orange chair found a place in the sun room.

The room now has a much more sedate feeling.

No rules about the rug. It really is what you like.

Just curious, what did you do with the circle rug?
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks CDR (I like your logo)!

It does feel very peaceful and cottagey like I wanted. I have new white countertops being installed in the kitchen on the 21st so I feel it's all coming together nicely. And it all started with the dining room :-)
    Thank you again for all your advice!

The rug is out in sunroom. I moved the heavy leather chair downstairs, and put the loveseat that matches my sofas in there. The orange chair adds a pop of color. It works... for now.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    My sister, who is a graphic artist, designed my logo. Thanks! i love the clean lines it has.

So, your living room is more calm an peaceful and your sunroom more lively and fun.....I like that idea! I'll bet your countertops will be lovely!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Oh, now I see the orange chair:)
  • hovep01
    10 years ago
    looks great!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I love how the orange chair in the sunroom "catches your eye" with the orange-red art above the fireplace.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Looks great hon.
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know Ann, CDR has a razor sharp eye :-))

I just put my "Charlie" picture up there to temporarily have something, but last night I asked husband if we could hang it because I really like it. Thank for the affirmative CDR; I was afraid it clashed. Do you think it can stand alone, or does it need balance on either side?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I think it can stand alone. Unique.

Now, if you want, you could place a some vases there. If you do, I would prefer to move the art a little to the right and add some really tiny vases to its left......an asymmetrical arrangement.

Okay, this is bizarre....but what about three very small dog bowls.
  • mkritt
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOL that would definitely appeal to my quirky side!