SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Home Warranty Plans--Should we buy one on a 11 year old home?

tvq1
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are under contract to buy a new to us home, which was built in 2010. We have had the home inspection and there are a few issues to be dealt with but nothing major--a few cracked roof tiles, a defective window seal, etc. We have reached an agreement with the sellers for those repairs. However, our inspection report states the 11 year old HVAC needs "servicing", and the hot water heater, which is currently funttioning OK, is nearing the end of it's service life (estimated to be 8-12 years). The sellers declined to replace it or allow a credit at closing, but did repair a TPR valve and a siezed shut off valve. We will be replacing/upgrading all kitchen appliances, so no coverage needed there.

We suspect there is some deferred maintenace in this home--as the couple is elderly and there is evidence of a lack of upkeep (cleanliness). Nothing irreperable, but nontheless it is evident. We do plan on getting he furnace and AC serviced right after we move in--Nov. 1st.

So----my question is: Should we purchase a Home Warranty Plan? It is certainly well within our budget, about $600 a year. I'm not concerned about the HWH-as that's only about $1500 to replace. But the HVAC is another issue--I'm guessing at least 20K to replace both units. That is within our budget also--but certainly a MUCH bigger hit than a HWH!

Although I will definitely do my "due diligence" and read all the fine print, I'd sure appreciate hearing some first hand experiences. Opinions? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I just read Austin Air's reply to a previous post about home warranties----food for thought for sure! I'm not surprised by his advice--maybe this is a case of "if it sounds too good to be true......"

Comments (6)