SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

"Are you still watching?"

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Last weekend I got that message on my TV from Netflix.

The nerve! It might as well say "you aren't really actually still just sitting there slack-jawed staring at this stuff?" But they're the ones that keep loading new episodes! Apparently I've never indulged quite so much because I'd never seen that message before.

So, recently I've been watching Maid, which I highly recommend. I liked the second episode more than the first and then it kept getting better IMHO.

But the message was about another series, that many recommended here and I didn't like at all. I strongly disliked the first episode, finding it too broad, too hackneyed, and too brash. But my kids have watched it and suggested I give it another try. They were right. It gets better and better and I find a lot of it very funny, very au courant, and nowhere near as mean or superficial as it felt as first. I am now a big fan of Schitt's Creek, along with everyone else.

And should I be concerned that I often find myself liking Moira's outfit?

Comments (42)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

So I will try Schitt's Creek again, based on this. Was totally planning on watching Maid. Getting totally psyched for season finale of Ted Lasso (it may drop tonight, but I watch on Fridays) Looking forward to Succession. Will also watch the British show by the writer of Succession, TheThick of It. This seems like a lot of TV- not sure how this will hold up to Humphrey, et al, but we'll see. I am clearly on an over achieving mood.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

It's part of their computer, commonly put up after a few episodes automatically load. It's not personal!! I have no idea WHY they ask I too agree it seemed rather stupid.

• Related Discussions

favorite gardening show

Q

Comments (10)
    I really miss all of the gardening shows HGTV used to have. I don't even bother checking the TV guide anymore because it's all how to buy & sell homes now. Lately I've been hearing how people are beginning to grow more of their own veggies due to the high cost of oil and the trickle down effect it's had on the prices of produce. Next season I will double the size of my veggie garden and will try to grow a winter garden this year. Livng in SoCal I should be able to do that with some success. I hope the new popularity of these Victory gardens helps to bring more garden shows back to HGTV.
    ...See More

TV meets the internet

Q

Comments (4)
    The missus watches her stuff in the living room on the big TV. I can sit at the computer and watch whatever I feel like, without regard to the time of day or whatever. I use the headphones, to help compensate for my hearing deficits, and the missus won't be bothered by my programs.
    ...See More

Real Housewives of New Jersey...?

Q

Comments (17)
    I just gotta say I am waiting to see who ends up sleeping with the fishes after that last reunion show with husbands included!! I seriously thought fists were going to fly. Poor Andy! he had to try to man handle Theresa again this year and got her glitter all over his suit LOL. I think he is afraid of her too and after she flung him like he was a twig last year I understand why. That woman has some serious issues and anger management is way up there on top. Those kids oh my goodness I just pity those children in that household. I thought Chris was great. He and Jacq are going through some very serious real life stuff and he hit it right on the head this other stuff is just silly bs in comparison! They are all healthy, they need to get over themselves and enjoy the life they have with their family. Life is way too short! No doubt in my mind Joe (juicy ewewwwwww) is cheating on his wife no doubt. She knows about it no doubt at all. She is still staying with the creep and acting for the cameras absolutely. Will they get theirs I do believe they will LOL especially if the judge watches these shows! and reads their blogs. Train wreck all the way! However when it gets to the point of violence and possibility of real injury that has gone too far. We already had one husband commit suicide on these shows we don't want any more of that kind of thing happening over a stupid tv show. IT just makes me soooo appreciate my life, my family and my friends!!
    ...See More

Cute Dispute (2 short videos)

Q

Comments (1)
    Cute! Thanks!
    ...See More
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

It's an unnerving message, I agree. Comes up on YT as well when I've a long playlist while doing housework. Eyes not on screen? The software knows, I'm sure.

Moira's outfits were no joke. McQueen, Givenchy, Balenciaga..! WWD short feature about the other main character in that show: Moira's look. :)

"too broad, too hackneyed, and too brash" is the perfect description for those first episodes. Is it weird that I'm glad you stuck it out? :P

Maid is on my list as well. Haven't heard of The Thick of It yet. I love British shows so making a note of it.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Someone else recomended Maid to me yesterday. Adding it to my very long ”to be watched” list.

I’ve actually been tempted to watch SC all over again. I know at least a couple people who have. It really does get better and better and by the end, I was just sad that it was over.

Love love Ted Lasso too.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

My DD face-timed me from Halifax last night because her roomies were both out and she was creeped out and scared by an episode of Maid. She's been trying to get me to watch, but I haven't had time. She did assure me that most episodes were not creepy (I don't do well with scary shows).

I had the same experience as you had with Schitt's Creek. Being a big fan of Eugene Levy, I tried to watch it when it first came out and was not impressed. I gave it another shot one night when I was bored and was completely hooked.

• robo (z6a)
    2 years ago

Mtn I was right there with you on Schitt’s creek. I figuratively picked it up and put it down a few times. I think the heart only gets you after a few episodes.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I too had procrastinated about Schitt’s Creek, and when I finally got around to watching it, DH watched with me, and we both were hooked.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Maid tidbit - the actress that plays Alex is Andie MacDowell’s actual daughter.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maddie, yes, I read that. And of, course, Andie McD is her mom in it!

What's funny is I kept thinking the lead actress looked familiar and reminded me of someone, and that someone was Andie McD but I never put it together. A little slow on the uptake. Must be all that TV.

I actually went back to look at Episode 1 of SC. I still hate episode 1. I read somewhere that it is hard sometimes to make the pilot because you have to spend a lot of time just setting up the story and characters, leaving almost no time for character development. And that is the issue with episode 1. The people are all awful to each other, and the humor (rich people are nasty, incompetent buffoons) very juvenile.

I haven't watched Ted Lasso, it's going on the list though!

PS I read the NF and YT both have those prompts because they don't want to waste the bandwidth if you've left the room.

PPS I also changed my settings so that it does not automatically keep playing episodes. I think that is better for mental health. Now, like the rat seeking sugar water, I at least have to press the bar if I want more!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

PS I read the NF and YT both have those prompts because they don't want to waste the bandwidth if you left the room.

Hmm. We pay for Netflix and they want to make sure they don't waste bandwidth on us? Interesting. Wonder how the prompts are triggered though.

• 4kids4us
    2 years ago

I stayed up late last night finishing Maid. I thought it was very good.

Zalco, for some reason I thought Episode 10 was the last episode/season finale of Ted Lasso so I’m very glad you mentioned the season finale was dropping b/c I had no idea. I would have missed the final two episodes! I almost didn’t watch the series b/c it initially did not appeal to me, plus I did not even realized I had Apple TV+. I suppose at some point I realized I had a free subscription due to an Apple purchase or something, but never bothered to use it with all my other streaming services. But so glad I checked out Ted Lasso - I loved it! And discovered my free Apple TV+ ends next month. Any other AppleTV+ recommendations before my free access ends? i probably won’t renew for now (I will eventually if Ted Lasso has another season).

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Yeah we turned off the next episode autoplay so we don’t get that message anymore. DH would fall asleep and a bunch of episodes would keep playing and then we didn’t know where we really left off. We have a rule to not watch two in a row though I do if I‘m watching by myself.

I’ve been watching Maid too - like it. Still unwilling to give Schitt’s Creek another try - it was just too stupid for words. I’ve been watching A Place to Call Home on Acorn - really like that. Also watching Heart Guy on Acorn - not nearly as good but not too bad. DH & I watch Law & Order UK - that’s very good - commercial free on Acorn and with commercials on Amazon IMDB. We really like Chicago Fire - Amazon and Chicago Med - Netflix. And we’re rewatching Doc Martin and Foyle’s War on Acorn.

• Boopadaboo
    2 years ago

I am another that it took a few tries for SC to stick and then was so sad it ended.

Will have to check out Maid, but just saw that more good witch episodes dropped so will watch that first :)

I recently loved Scott and Bailey and am watching Only Murders in the Building and it is so great!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

@3katz4me, I finally set the sleep timer on the TV. Avoids the issue of running through a whole series asleep. I've done it as well. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Eyes not on screen? The software knows, I'm sure.

OMG, paranoid much? Does your TV have a camera? LOL

Per NF:

The prompt appears after watching 3 episodes of a TV show in a row without using any video player controls, or after 90 minutes of uninterrupted watching, whichever is greater.

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

Yes, I've had this experience for the last few years. Usually when I've gone to the guestroom because I haven't been able to fall asleep, and turned on Netflix there.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

To be fair, @mtnrdredux_gw, I was talking about watching YT on a computer screen. Apps like IG do have access to eye tracking software from companies like Tobii. I don't know the extent of this technology's use but I don't think it's being paranoid to think it might be in use. But thanks for sharing about NF's prompt.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But that requires special hardware, no? AFAIK, even your laptop cannot track your eye movements as is.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I tried SC twice and the second time quite a few episodes and then sampled one or two from the middle. Just cant get into it, and I usually love satires featuring small towns, since I grew up and live in one . . . I like the Canadian "Corner Gas" for example . . . although in small doses . . . I also was a fan of the Andy Griffith Show and "Northern Exposure." All very different takes . . .

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I would think it requires special hardware, but I really don't know for sure. I've read stuff in reputable publications that leads me to believe apps like IG can access your camera and eye tracking capabilities can be integrated in their UI. Apparently, it's all spelled out in the app's Terms and Conditions. And this site says smart TVs have built-in cameras.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked tartanmeup
  • Judi
    2 years ago

I'm thoroughly enjoying Maid. Thought this article provided an excellent synopsis.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/maid-review-netflix-margaret-qualley-spectacular-drama-1234668299/

The Guilty with Jake Gyllenhaal is also pretty good. I didn't realize it was a remake.

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

I, too, watched the first episode of SC last year and thought, "Nah..." But for some reason, I returned to it last summer, and it became my workout motivation. I watched it while exercising, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I find Daniel Levy amazingly talented and would rewind just to play his scenes over again to note his nuances.

Maid is on my list, too. I saw a preview, and I think it's what I'll watch next.

I get overwhelmed with options, and I usually end up turning off the TV. I haven't watched much of what everyone else talks about. Right now, I'm in the middle of The Kominsky Method, but Alan Arkins' character just died and I know he doesn't come back for the final season (I think I read). He was the only reason I started watching it in the first place.

I watched a few free episodes of Ted Lasso but don't have an Apple TV subscription. I will get one this winter once my outdoor chores settle down. The few episodes I watched were really very good.

ETA, Mtn, yes, Moira is fascinating, and if you watch the after-show special, they talk about her costume choices. I can still hear her fake accent... "ah-LEX-is, dear...." Her character grew on me unexpectedly. That show also means a lot to the gay community, as well.

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

Last summer I watched all of Schitt's Creek and I'm still ambivalent about it. My kids loved it so I decided to give it a second and third chance. Some episodes were so stupid that I cringed while watching and I couldn't stomach Chris Elliott's role as mayor. And this is from someone who grew up watching The Three Stooges.

I don't think I would have continued with it except for being inside so much during Covid and after watching the first season I did become curious about the characters and what would transpire.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I just previewed The Thick of It. Do not try this program if you are allergic to the f-word. The dialogue is wickedly quick. Peter Capaldi is beyond brilliant in the clips I watched. I am not sure if he is there from Episode One.

• nini804
    2 years ago

@4kids4us The Morning Show!!! You’re going to have to get busy if you only have until the end of the month, though. Tonight the 3rd or 4th episode of the second season drops. You could binge all of season 1, but they may not finish season 2 until your subscriprion ends. It is so good! Amazing cast, very fast paced, and the cinematography and music are REALLY good…New York looks so beautiful, especially the night shots. Timely topic, too.

Also, I loved Physical. It stars Rose Byrne (who i love) as a wife/mom in the early eighties and how she basically finds herself through aerobics. Ok, it sounds terrible from my description😂 but she is one of the most interesting characters I’ve seen on TV. She is dealing with a pretty significant eating disorder and an absolute doofus of husband…just check out the trailer. There is only one season so far, but it’s been picked up for another. Super great late seventies/early eighties nostalgia, too.

So glad so many gave SC another try!!! See, don’t you just end up falling in love with those characters??? (except Roland, still don’t like him, lol.) 😊

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • 4kids4us
    2 years ago

Nini, those two shows you mention were the only ones that kind of appealed to me so thanks for the recommendation. Fortunately I have plenty of time this month to watch some shows - my sons both play fall college sports so we are travelling every weekend to their games. I can download episodes to my ipad and watch in the car. If I enjoy them and don’t finish before my freebie ends, I can always just pay for a month subscription to finish. It’s only $5/mth. Thanks again for the recs!

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I've binge-watched plenty of things and never gotten the message; maybe because I pause regularly for various reasons.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I figure when I get that message it means it is probably time for me to go to bed if I know what's good for me. But alas . . .

Hubs and I loved the Kominsky method. It had some amazing talent on the show. The last season was OK, still funny, but nothing could top Alan Arkin's deadpan delivery, IMHO. Paul Reiser picked up a great deal of the slack though.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked l pinkmountain
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

I am an outlier-- I tried Schitt's Creek multiple times but I just didn't care for it. I like all the actors but it just doesn't work for me. I am a tough sell on comedies.

We really enjoyed Kominsky Method -- but, yes, it really lost a lot when Alan Arkin left the show.

Also enjoying Only Murders in the Building. I don't find the plot nearly as engaging as dynamic of the characters played by Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. They are magic!

We really liked Hit and Run ... until we found out it was cancelled and there will not be a 2nd season. I am hoping Netflix changes their mind. It was really well done!

I need something new. We've worked through our list ... at least until Dexter starts in Nov. I'll check out some of these recommendations but I am in the mood for a good mystery.

We started Broadchurch last weekend but it seems like it's going to be like so many of the "missing/murdered child in a small town" mysteries. I am not really down for anything centering on the death of a child anyhow.. and it doesn't seem to have anything else to keep us watching.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Judi
    2 years ago

I am an outlier-- I tried Schitt's Creek multiple times but I just didn't care for it.

Same here.

I need something new. We've worked through our list ... at least until Dexter starts in Nov. I'll check out some of these recommendations but I am in the mood for a good mystery

Have you seen The Sinner on Netflix?

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Succession is entertaining, but its one of those shows where everyone is an awful human. Veep is another. ive begun watching Friday Night Lights. id never seen it before. i enjoy watching good people.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Jumped down to mention that the 'are you still watching?' screen may also be a sort of poll/survey.

And I love, love, love Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy. I enjoy everything they do. I loved them in Christopher Guest's films too - esp. Mighty Wind.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOL, Feathers! DH loves Waze too.

• nini804
    2 years ago

@lisaam…Omg, I must be an awful human bc Veep literally makes me laugh so hard I cry. 😂 Friday Night Lights is wonderful, totally agree.

• runninginplace
    2 years ago

I also had tried Schitt's Creek and hated it--I'm old enough that I thought it was a cheesy remake of Green Acres. And Chris Elliott is unwatchable, which actually didn't get any better through the entire run of the show IMO. It wasn't funny, it wasn't clever and the characters were all such jerks. Who could love that show?!

But soooooo many people kept saying they did love it that I decided to grit my way through the first season then say enough and quit. By the 5th episode I was laughing. And by the end of the first season I was hooked.

I think it also helped that I watched it during the spring 2020 COVID nightmare. To be able to go spend time in that warm, funny, accepting little world was such a balm to my soul.

As for other faves, I also am loving Only Murders in the Building mostly for the acting of the 3 leads. I watched The Chair which was entertaining but pretty formulaic. I never miss What we Do in the Shadows. It's like The Office but with vampires...absolutely hilarious.

Waiting eagerly for Succession to drop next week!

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

I also thought Margaret Qualley looked familiar. However, I finally realized it wasn't just because she looked like her mom, but because I had just watched "Once upon a time in America" this summer. Unlike the rest of my family, I didn't love the movie, but her character stuck with me. Also, my DD was a bun-head teenager at the same time Margaret was featured in teen vogue article where it noted she was a classically trained ballerina. DD says she became a bit obsessed with both sisters and had pics of them on her walls. I don't remember this, but would also account for her looking familiar. Although DD adores Qualley in both roles, she said she thinks her dancer's posture looks a tad out of place. I'm on episode 4 and glad I have a long weekend ahead so I can sneak a few more in.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

@daisychain Zn3b - hahaha

I knew nothing about Margarette Qualley before starting MAID. One of the first things I texted my daughter about the show was that the starring actress had to be a ”classically trained ballerina”.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Sorry if this is OT, but has anyone else gotten the 'what do you think of this?' prompt on Hulu? It asks you to select a thumbs up or down. Pretty sure it's another way to gauge audience opinions.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I don't think it's veiled, Carol.. it is definitely a way to measure audience opinions-- and your opinion specifically. It is used to recommend other titles you'd like.

• Judi
    2 years ago

It asks you to select a thumbs up or down.

I get it on Netflix. Gave a thumbs down to 1922 tonight.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Oh - it could've been Netflix, then. I was watching something on there too...

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living