SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_111226231

Need help with antique dresser

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

**Update with new photos. I am done. I decided to use soap and water to clean, the inside of the drawers got simple green with a splash of bleach. I used restore-a-finish with 0000steel wool and a thick coat of wax and feed left overnight. This thing really does need a new finish on it but.. for now I'll just feed it monthly, maybe next spring or summer. My back was killing me last night! I also used my go to for cleaning hardware - first I boiled it with baking powder then a paste of bartenders friend scrubbed, left for a few minutes then scrubbed and rinsed. Dried well - learned my lesson, if they aren't completely dry, more rust and tarnish so I don't make that mistake anymore. But was really surprised at the golden color, they turned out nice. Photos below!

I just bought this antique princess dresser from FB marketplace. I believe it is 1894-1910 quarter sawn oak. Huge mirror. It is in good shape for it's age, all of the decorative pieces are attached, it seems solid - but the finish is rough, I don't want to do a full refinishing job though, although the patina already seems to be off. I need to know the best way to clean something this old, and if it would be okay to use Restore-a-finish and wax to seal or if there is something else I should try? Any information would be appreciated. The first photos are from the seller, the others with the mirror off are when I got home, tired and sore - long day. So just snapshots but hopefully helpful? Thanks in advance.

Comments (41)