Jasdip
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Comments (45)

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does it show up? It doesn't on my laptop. I'll try it here.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Not showing up.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

No answer for mess yet, the rest came quickly although I’ll put down for now and revisit to make sure I have the best answers.

• bpath
    2 years ago

It sometimes happens that posting images in the comments works, when they don’t appear in the original post. And there it is! Thanks! I have my coffee and ready to go!

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

I'm also just missing the mess one. The rest I'm pretty positive about.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Working on B1, and C2 I’m not sure about.

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I have something for B1. I would argue for it but it may not be right.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Working on B1 - got all the rest - I think...

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I only have D2 to figure out.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I got here late today, but think I have most of them figured out. Not real sure of my answer for C1, one of those cases where it seems too simple to be right. So will think on it some more.

Rusty

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Also working on B1. Why does it look so easy? I think i have the rest, until i go back through and second guess myself on a couple.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Still B1 and C2. DS came up with something for B1, but neither of us like it. I’m sure my evening glass of wine won’t help. Or will it?

• User
    2 years ago

bpath, I think it will depend on how large your wine glass is.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Wait, was that a hint?

• User
    2 years ago

no, mind you, I could probably start a train of thought to make it a hint. lol

No not a hint 🙂

• User
    2 years ago

C2, I have two guesses, both really good.🙂

• User
    2 years ago

Hmm, the tougher puzzles are way more fun.😁

Jasdip, we need harder ones.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I just came up with one for C2 that makes me happier than my last one. Still struggling with C1 and not happy with D2.

In other words I was a little overconfident this morning.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Now y’all have me staring at C2 to see if I can come up with a second answer…can’t. I thnk my first answer is ’the’ answer.

Still don’t have B1 though.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

You may already have the better answer to C2! My first answer was legit but not convincing.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Is Googling your answer to see if it matches the puzzle cheating? If it is, I cheated on C1, so I'm fairly certain my guess is right. Of course, that doesn't mean the puzzle maker was thinking the same thing. I have two guesses for C2, can't decide which one to settle on. And last night I came up with a second guess for D2, but don't remember now what it was, so sticking with first guess on that one! Sheesh! What old age does to you!

Personally, I think the mix of easy and hard and everything in between is just right in the puzzles you are posting, Jasdip. Kind of makes it a level playing field for all of us.

Rusty

• User
    2 years ago

I take a screen shot of the puzzle, print it enlarged, put it on my kitchen island and add guesses throughout the day. Some squares have a dozen answers. I whittle them down to the best answer eventually.

Some answers inspire other answers.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I have trouble with these things. I have to put on a fake American accent to make some of them work. B2 makes no sense in my own voice 🤔.

• User
    2 years ago

floral, sometimes you have to do that. The Rolling Stones “Gimme Shelter” isn’t grammatically (?) correct but one knows what it means.

Pecan, pecan.

I make myself laugh with some of the things that I and others come up with.😄

• bpath
    2 years ago

Floral, I’m American and do a daily cryptic crossword constructed by an Australian. I have to adjust for the accent as well as spelling!

Rusty, I think googling to confirm an answer isn’t cheating. After all, it could show you that you are wrong, giving you an opportunity to play some more!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

FOAS, my feelings exactly. I keep going back and forth, and still only have some hokey answer for B1 but know it isnt quite right. I ’think’ I have settled on an answer for C2 and still waffle on D2. We shall see.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

D2, my answer is something I’ve had as an answer before and was wrong. I tend to think it’s wrong again.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Age before beauty

Read between the lines

Clerical error

Total mess

Trouble in paradise

Pink Floyd

Drum line

Making ends meet

Santa Claus

Parting gifts

Broken home, or dashing home

Common denominator

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I did not get B1. Seems like there needs to be an = to be a total. I kept thinking along the lines of Some Big Mess.

For C2 I was thinking along the lines of Both Ends Meeting in the Middle. I also thought of Never Ending. I didn’t think of Making Ends Meet.

Still always a good exercise. Thanks for posting the solution. I can sleep now.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I've never heard the term drum line.

• User
    2 years ago

• User
    2 years ago

I had “end to end“ and ”making ends meet”

I liked them both.

Thanks, Jasdip.🤠

• bpath
    2 years ago

I had end to end, and some mess. My son was in the drumline in high school so I got that one!

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I had end to end (like Christmas lights) but got the rest.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

I had end to end also, but now can see that making ends meet is another good answer - it never occurred to me. And I never did figure out total mess!

Thanks, Jasdip!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Aha. I guessed at drumline but it meant nothing to me. Not a phrase I’ve ever heard. Also had ‘end to end’.

Took me a while to realise how to pronounce it to make B2 work. Pair of dice doesn't sound like paradise at all when I say it.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I had end to end until I got making ends meet which I then was sure was the right answer.

Can’t believe I didn’t get total mess, considering the time I spent on it. I had some mess and felt it was wrong. Really annoyed!

I had all the rest, including broken home which I wasn’t convinced of. If I had thought of dashing home I’d have gone with that. I believe I did actually have the word dash in my head but wasn’t thinking of that meaning.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Floral, perhaps not in British English, but here ”of” often sounds like ”a” (uh) when spoken quickly. Pair a shoes, pair a pants, etc. You’ve never ”hearda” that?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Of course, but that’s not what I’m talking about. It’s not the elision of the words. We do that all the time too. It’s the pronunciation of the word ’pair’ which is different. In my accent the ’pa’ in paradise isn't a diphthong like the ’pai’ in pair so I didn’t get B2 until I tried putting on a fake American accent.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Well as an American I don’t say pairadise either. I think you have to allow for some wiggle room on some of these. Does Floyd look pink on anyone’s screen? Looks magenta to me.

• User
    2 years ago

“link to an article about an 1860 English pictogram puzzle:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9877243/Can-you-solve-a-Victorian-puzzle-promising-Earthly-Paradise.html

excerpt

I responded that it was kind of spooky to me that (as explained in the Telegraph article) the final pictogram, showing two dice, stood for "pair o' dice", or "paradise", in light of my posting, just last night, an entry at my blog including in my title "Bard of Paradise"!:”

floral, apparently the British have used pair of dice to signify paradise since at least 1860.

Here’s a more recent UK puzzle, same idea.

https://www.totalsuccess.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Total-Success-Brain-Teaser-Quiz.pdf

pecan pecan

Wiggle room 😉 And have fun🙂

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Oooh that was like a Friday bonus. I got all but #12 right away. Zero self control, couldn’t keep working on it knowing the answers were right above. I think we’ve had that in a puzzle before though.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I had 'end to end' for C2, and 'broken home' for D2. I had briefly thought of another answer for D2, but can't remember what it was. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 'dashing home' though. The only reason I got C1 right was I just couldn't come up with anything for the line, so I Googled the words 'drum line'. Lo and behold, there is a "young adult, coming of age" film entitled 'Drumline'. So I figured that had to be it.

Rusty

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

roxsol, I think a video of anything can be found on the internet. The intended meaning of drum line is clear when I read it in this thread, it remains a phrase I hadn't heard before and so not something I could draw on to solve that particular graphic.

As for "British" pronunciation of words, even in just England you'll find innumerable possibilities Vowel or consonant sounds that are similar among certain words in one part of the country will not be so somewhere else. The accent differences can be substantial, along with obvious differences like local-only terms and word usage. They're not always mutually intelligible among countrymen when exaggerated in use.

• User
    2 years ago

roxsol, I think a video of anything can be found on the internet.

Absolutely, Elmer. It really is a wonderful thing.

But now you’ve learned something. 🙂 And it was a fun video. I enjoyed it.

Actually, I have always known a drumline to be a series of floating barrels. On the lake they’re tied together to mark off a swimming area. A regional thing I guess.

As for British pronunciation of words, yes I know. I’ve visited/lived in England several times. My parents were British immigrants, one from the Black Country and one from the south. Each had a different vocabularly and pronunciation of words. My only cousin, who lives in Wimbledon, just outside of London centre, has yet another accent.

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA