SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
sandlapper_rose

OBF - OCTOBER SWAP: Letters of the Season

sandlapper_rose
21 days ago
last modified: 21 days ago

Happy Month of October! To participate this month you must be a member of the OBF group. Let's keep the swap simple and inexpensive for your participation. Sending in a padded envelope or a small size box is fine. We all know postage can be very expensive these days.

Here's what this month entails if you want to participate.

You will choose one of the following words and use 4 of the letters found in the word for the basis for your package.

OCTOBER

AUTUMN

HARVEST

HALLOWEEN

You will send your swap to another OBF member who has also signed up for the swap. Your swap package will need to include at least 4 items; each one will need to begin with one of the letters you selected from the your word.

For example:

If I chose OCTOBER my letters I choose could be OCTB -

I could send an owl (figurine or other decorative item or even a card with an owl in the design), candy (how about something that might be a “trick or treat” candy), assorted tea bags, and a plant bulb (or bulbs). Note that you can use O twice if you want to since the letter appears twice in the word.

I think it would be fun to have your package reflect a fall or Halloween theme, but that's not necessary. It's up to you. You don't have to tell us what word you will use when you sign up but do include a little note in your package so the recipient will find the word you selected..

There will also be a guessing game “What and Where”. Since I will be using my Fall and Halloween decorations for the first time in my new house, I will take guesses each day if I'm able to post that frequently. I certainly have enough items to do that! The "what" is the item I used as a decoration that day and the "where" is the room I placed it in. Watch for #1 which I should be posting on Oct. 1. First person to get the item right and first person to get the room right will get a point each. If you are the first person to guess both the item and the room that day, you will get two points. Each player can only guess one item as the "what" and one item as the "where" each day. If the item and location are not guessed on the day they are listed, I'll continue to keep them on the list until guessed. If I can manage it, I'll try to take some pictures as these are guessed so you can enjoy seeing the decorations.

To help you out, here are the possible “places” where I might use the item for a decoration: Outside (which includes the yard, front porch and screened porch), Kitchen, Living Room, Family Room, Bedroom, Sewing Room, Office/Study, Laundry Room, Bathroom ... who knows where it might go – I certainly don't at this point! I'm still in the moving process (who knew it could take such a long time), so there will be times I won't have access to my computer … I hope my schedule doesn't disrupt us too much.

Please sign up by Oct. 8 and Mail by Oct. 20 so the packages with a Halloween theme will arrive in time for Halloween. Please post when you mail and when you receive. No need to sign up to play the game. Just join in when you have the opportunity. As always, your pictures of your garden and fall décor are enjoyed by all of us.

Comments (125)

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
    10 days ago

And here is my dahlia. I only have this one but I think I will add a couple more next year. I just love them. The Jerusalem artichokes are shriveling up now and the other perennials are going to sleep in preparation for winter.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I stopped in earlier but waited to see if we had more guesses for the mantle decorations.

Susan got 2 points - candle and candleholder

Annie got 1 point - candleholder

Ruth got 1 point - candle

So the totals are now:

Annie 2

Ruth 6

Jayeanne 1

Susan N. 3

The other items on my mantle are: wooden carving of Don Quiote, a wicker purse, 2 books - one by Poe and one by Kipling, a glass bottle that is amber color glass, a black and white framed picture, a footed ceramic bowl with a fall leaf design and a candleholder with the same design (and there is a candle), a wooden tray, a ceramic pitcher, a plate under the ceramic pitcher and the pitcher is holding artificial feathers and long green grass (also artificial).

Also I did get a picture of the jack o'lantern and the quilted table runner that were for Day 3. (Yes, there are still boxes and major pile ups throughout my house!)

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: march obf swap: abc's of gardening

Q

Comments (64)
    Hi everybody, Wow have I been missing things! Sounds like good news there for Bunny and Veeja's Grandbaby( great) it a cutie. Earthly, and Mellen and Sue K and Jeanne and Raggedy and Oh Mercy I'm sure I'm forgetting some of you, Anita.... SO GREAT to see you back active. You have been in my thoughts over the past few months. Really wish I could get back into trading because that is even more fun than gardening but..... I am limited to what will survive life on the road. My picnic table is half full of plants and I know I can't take them all with me so I am going to tuck few herbs into a corner by the laundry room here. I'll leave a sign telling folks to take some and enjoy them. Hope they survive the summer OK I have fallen in love with deep East Texas. It is more pines than Palms so does not feel tropical but is so mild that the Amarillis are growing in yards in clumps of 12 or 15 flower stalks. What a beautiful sight. The people are friendly too and I look foreward to getting back here again. Wednesday, I'll head for Oklahoma to see parts of the historic RT 66 and visit museums about that. Then on to New Mexico. So much to see there too. I'll be working for the summer right by Mesa Verda in Colorado. Plan to spend my free time visiting/studying the history of the Four Corners area. With the price of Gas continuing to go up I'll have to plan my trips carefully but I'm thinking if I don't see it now.... then when will it ever be any cheaper???? Carol, I have told many people about the book "The Long Emergency". He was so "right on" I hate to thing about next year oe five years from now. Hugs to all, Miss you. BB
    ...See More

NEW: obf october fabulous & fun x four

Q

Comments (144)
    Margo, Sue and Beth Congratulations.....Yeah Margo if you had not picked the number 7 I would have chosen it. It is my favorite number for God created the world in 7 days and it is the symbol of divine perfection. The whole word of God is founded upon the number seven. Beth-Happy to hear you are home and the wedding went well. Melinda-Nice Grandson buying you a computer....Looking forward to our next months swap. Hi Margaret....always so nice to read your posts. I have gotten into succulents and have them all over the house and in my office at work. It has been so much fun finding the right pots to put them in. Can't believe tomorrow is the first day of November...turkey day will be here soon. Shirley
    ...See More

update: ~obf~ october fest halloween swap~

Q

Comments (149)
    Hi All, I spent most of today planting stuff. I still have more to plant!!! I did take a pic of behind the garage. I have to download my photos though. I'll post a post about it later. Then I've been making seed envelopes. I have made so many and I have so many more to go! Lol, I don't think Carol should be allowed to type lists. : ) Amy, Deb and Sassy are missing, not sure if anyone else is. It is LLbean, not Libean, and Ilovefarac, not Ilove franc! Lol, Bunny Hunting month! I'll get you Waskly Wabbit! : ) Mellen, You are too sweet. : ) Ok, I got to upload my photos, Remy
    ...See More

OBF NEW SWAP OCTOBER "YOUR CREATIVE COOKBOOK"

Q

Comments (269)
    Happy Birthday, Erica! Emily, I'm amazed my cookbook reached you so quickly. Annie, you are so generous with the prizes - will be excited to get something in the mail - other than the overflow of catalogs, magazines, junk mail, etc. Annie, poor Emily will be be embarrassed to hold on the the envelope I sent my cookbook in. I only had one that was large enough and it was previously used so I put everything inside and wrapped the used envelope in paper cut from a grocery store bag. Do I get extra points for recycling? LOL Shirley, we may be close to getting some frost, but not tonight. I was upset that my pepper plants which I have tried to care for most of the summer are finally blooming and starting to grow peppers. I think they will be moved into and out of the garage for awhile. I not only want the peppers, but I want to save some pepper seeds! I haven't quite figured out the OBF football game. Some of you know I follow the Gamecocks at the University of South Carolina. They were not having a great year so far and then Coach Spurrier resigned this week and there was an interim head ball coach announced ... but the Gamecocks won their game today so maybe all of this will get straightened out. The teams we played the last two weeks have been very generous providing supplies for the flood victims, bottled water, and other assistance. My husband found a weather web site with a huge number of pictures of the flood. We were not here for most of those days - it looked so horrible. Of course, we worried a lot while we were away, but seeing it may have been worse. We still have water streaming through our horse pasture and it has been warm and sunny all week. We are ready for things to dry out. Well, time for bed here. Enjoy your day tomorrow! Jeanne
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Here is who you will be sending to for the swap this month:

Jeanne sends to Susan (OH)

Susan (OH) sends to Ruth

Ruth sends to Margo

Margo sends to Annie

Annie sends to Susan (Skyblue)

Susan (Skyblue) sends to Shirley

Shirley sends to Jeanne

Again, sorry to be so late in the day. I got my flu shot yesterday and it wasn't bothering me a bit then, but I think it has made me feel extra tired all day today plus we had bad storms overnight and my dog is really scared of thunder so she was up and panting so I got up at 4:45 am to take her out and it was pouring down cold rain so it took me awhile to get us dried off and me back to sleep. I think the news said we got 6" of rain in the past day and I think nearly all of that was last night. I believe the thunder is much louder here at this house. Maybe there is some kind of echo or it's because of the terrain.

Here are some pictures of the other decorations that were not totally guessed.

Day 4 Scarecrow mini Pillow in the Dining Room

Day 6 Tin with a Halloween design in the study (its job is to hold my tomato seeds year round)

Day 7 Basket with artificial flowers, leaves, and a scarecrow in the Family Room

I have more decorating to do so towards midweek I'll start another segment with my decorating adventures and those points will be added to what we have now. I'm going to make it simpler than how we started out when you had to guess the type of decoration AND the location!

If I didn't add your points right, let me know. It has been a very busy and stressful week here. Now I think my water heater is no longer working. Cold showers are not good showers!

10 days ago

Oh my goodness Jeanne. I hope your hot water tank is working.

I love the way you decorated your mantle.

8 days ago

Hi Jeanne, hope all is going well with you and that you are feeling better after your flu shot.

Ruth, your package will be mailed out tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday!

7 days ago

Ruth, I mailed your package out today. It will arrive by Friday. I have tracking info if we need it.

• ruthz
    7 days ago

Susan, I will keep a watch out for it.

Margo, hope to get your package mailed tomorrow.

Jeanne, hope everything is okay with you. Please send me your address when you get a chance.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Just to let you know, I had to drive down to Lexington Sunday and it's such a long drive that I stayed until this morning and tried to do as much as I could there. Have switched to a different realtor (long story) and hopefully this time things will get done and that house will get listed. Anyway, apparently my hot water heater went out for good on Saturday here in Cary and my son-in-law told me to shut off all the water before I went out of town. I got back home and now it can't be turned on so here I am with no water at all. Can't believe all the things that happen! Need to see what I can do about it. I did call the City in case there was some reason from them that the water wouldn't come on. No issue with them (they came out to check) so it's all within my house.

I'll check back in later. Ruth, I will send you my new address. Guess what? I remembered to bring back seeds from my Lexington garden so I can now send to Melinda. (Seeds are for my overdue FOTESS swap. I have my items here for this swap and hopefully can get them mailed out on Friday.)

• smitties
    6 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

My goodness Jeanne, will the bad luck just stop for you!!!

Annie, my package will be going out by next week. Hubby and I took the pups and headed down to North Carolina for an last minute camping trip. It is so nice here, wr added another day. Will let you know when I mail it. I have everything but need to package it up.

• canyonwind
    6 days ago

Susan (skyblue), i ordered "stuff" from KOHLS today and it will be delivered direct to your home. It most likely will be delivered in seperate packages on different days. I will keep you posted as I find out shipping dates. As well, I am sending you a card to explain what I sent based on Jeanne's words that we were to play with. I will mail the card tomorrow from my home. Susan, I do not know how often you check in here, so I will PM you a note regarding this tomorrow.. Be well.....

Jeanne, thinking of you........

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Margo, you know I feel like just about my whole life I have been lucky and blessed with so many wonderful people, pets, and experiences. I guess so much of the bad is happening now to balance that out. Well, there has been enough bad the past 2 years so maybe I can go back to good experiences soon. I do laugh a bit when one thing right after another goes bad. Hard to believe. Hopefully a plumber will come tomorrow. It seems some water comes out the faucet for maybe 20-30 seconds if you wait an hour more before you turn the water on again. Not the full volume, but some! Someone asked if I had any hot water .Not that I know of because it takes longer than that to get hot. However, since I got home (almost 7 hours, I've managed to collect a pitcher full of water so there will be coffee for me in the morning and water for my dog.

• canyonwind
    5 days ago

Susan (skyblue), I just private messaged you......

Happy day!!

Jeanne, good will come back to you........hang in there!!

5 days ago

Jeanne, I am sending you lots of positivity. Wishing you all the best in your new home. Hopefully all will be well after these initial hiccups.

Take care of yourself and be well.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

So glad I took time to post yesterday. I got up this morning and my internet wouldn't work, but I did get 2 different plumbers here (yes it took 2 from different businesses) so my water is back to normal. What a day and a lot of what I had planned to do today involved the computer so 1 step forward, 2 steps back. There is a home warranty on the new house, but they will only allow the plumber to repair one thing when he comes out so I had a plumber here who couldn't get the water running for me, only get the "water I couldn't use" to heat up again. Rules are crazy!

I'll definitely try to post again later.

• ruthz
    5 days ago

Wow, Susan N., I received your AWESOME Halloween package today.

Susan choose the word Halloween

and check out these great choices she sent.

I've thought about getting Hellebores, but never have. I'm really looking forward to growing this one. And I don't have that daylily and the liriope always looks good. Love teas and grab and throw seeds are great for me.

I'll put the flag out before dark

Thank you so much for a fun Halloween package

• smitties
    5 days ago

Shirley, I just realize my hubby and I have been staying at a KOA cabin not too far from you. We are in Cherokee! Had I known, I would have tried to make arrangements to meet you. It was last minute decision to get away. Maybe next time I’ll be more aware. lol

• ruthz
    5 days ago

Margo, We love that area. It must be really beautiful with all the fall color. We were there last in 2018. Wish we could go more often. We found a little restaurant in Clyde that we loved, Blue Rooster Southern Grill, if your near there and looking for a place to eat. Hubby totally loves The Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. We've been about 3 times. Our plan was to spend a month or two a year camping there, but so far Dan still works full time.

Jeanne, sorry your having so many issues, but sounds like you are handling it well. I'm glad you have a home warranty.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    5 days ago

So glad to have my water running again. Not so impressed with the home warranty. They said since I didn't know why the water wasn't running it would be a diagnostic appointment and they didn't cover those so I just went with a different plumber who was not through their referral. I had to pay $85 for the one who came out under the home warranty visit and all he did was relight the pilot light on the water heater and I may have had hot water at that point but wouldn't know if I did or not since none of my water could get into showers, tubs, sinks, washing machine, dishwasher, etc. Can you tell I'm not impressed? I sure was glad to hear that water start to run though! Still have to start washing clothes, dishes, etc.

I didn't get my internet on until 4:30 pm. They said they were doing some kind of updating in the area. I wasn't here on Tues. but I got a message that day that things weren't working. Arg! Anyway, I did finally head over to get my COVID booster shot so I'm glad to have that taken care of. (Flu Shot X --- COVID Booster X. --- Water X)

I started to get another game together for us - points will be added to what the score is now, but with the way the day went, I'll post it tomorrow.

Still quite hot here. I think it was up around 85 today and I have the air conditioning running almost every day so October is definitely hotter than usual. I brought about a dozen plants back with me from Lexington - things I had growing there in containers. I fear the ground here is rock hard, but I will find out soon. Tree roots are growing along the surface of the soil so I'm thinking they can't penetrate into the soil. I'm glad most of the yard has been planted prior to me being here. There is a little more fall color over the past 2 weeks, but not a lot yet. Those who are seeing beautiful fall colors, I envy you! When I walk my dog I enjoy seeing the neighbors put out their Halloween decorations. I need to ask someone how many trick or treaters there might be. No one came to the house in SC so I haven't had to prepare for trick or treat for a long time. Halloween has been me decorating the inside of the house and just for my pleasure!

• skyblue52
    5 days ago

Had to take down the sunflowers today. But my dailies as nd bees joined me on a fall day

5 days ago

Gorgeous Susan. I love dahlias and am going to grow more of them next year. They really extend the growing season and they are so beautiful you just can’t help but love them.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Such beautiful flowers! Thanks for posting.

• skyblue52
    4 days ago

I love how your are going setting your house up for the season.

• canyonwind
    4 days ago

Susan (skyblue),... I just received an email that your KOHLS package is being shipped. And as I said, your card went out yesterday. You probably will receive the card first. It looks like the 5 items from KOHLS will be sent together in one package/box. Right now, they are saying est delivery to your home is Thurs., Oct 22. I will keep you posted on updates/changes. Open everything together.......

Happy day ladies!!

Annie

• skyblue52
    4 days ago

Jeanne you have a string of set backs this. week. Have to say the internet is the hardest to find a quick answer to. My fridge went out last friday. Freezer still working. A service man on tues. He said a defroster part. Had to order thru usps. Had hoped from yesterday. Not heard yet. So 2 moRe bags of ice to keep cheese,butter,milk,salad dressings,yogurts, and eggs eatable. Did boil my 18 eggs and having as snacks. Just keep thinking! Things could always be worse. The service man said trying to order a new fridge is a wait now. I have to have a special size because of cabinets above it. Big rain coming in so check.in.later for a game. And wait on the service man to call.

• smitties
    4 days ago

Came home from our wonderful trip to find my package from Ruth. What a great package too. She chose a harvest theme and included an apple pie spice mix and sent the recipe as well, vanilla which I am almost out of, an apple slicer and a red towel. I am going to get some apples and make a pie. Thank you Ruth for the great package.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Sorry I didn't get more of the game posted today. I did get the remaining decorations out of the box. Will definitely post it tomorrow. My daughter and granddaughters stopped by and we planted a few of the plants that I brought back from SC so it was a much better day than how the days have been. Now hoping for a bit of rain that might show up tomorrow afternoon. I brought back lots of potted plants with those 2 trips I made so I really need to get going on getting them settled. Some got transported without their containers and some without soil so I can't let them just sit for a long while. I figured we mail them without soil so it should work out. Just hope for some cooler weather so they get a chance to settle in. I haven't even planted my daffodils yet because it just isn't cool enough. Tomorrow night the temperatures will start to drop at night, but the days will still be quite warm.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    4 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Finally here's the game. I counted about 20 remaining fall-Halloween decorations. Several handmade by friends or family and one handmade by me.

Answers to questions will be simple. Guess 1 time a day for each question if you like. If no one gets it, I will give some higher and lower instructions for day 2 for the ones that involve numbers and you can guess 1 time a day again. Each question is for 1 point by the person who guesses it correctly.

1. How many of these decorations include pumpkins?

2. How many of these decorations include scarecrows?

3. How many of these decorations include ghosts?

4. How many of these decorations include black cats?

5. You know how having words included in decor became popular. How many of these decorations include some wording?

6. Someone in my family made part of one of these decorations. Guess who this was in my family?

AND A NON-HALLOWEEN QUESTION:

7. Yesterday 2 kinds of plants that I moved from my Lexington house were planted in the ground. Keeping with my name here on Houzz, they tie right in. Guessing either will result in 1 point, but you can only guess one of them each day.

Good luck!

• smitties
    3 days ago

1. 15

2. 8

3. 7

4. 5

5. 11

6. sister

7. rose

rose of sharon

Change of plans Annie. I will be mailing Thursday as I am meeting a friend for three days and I’m hoping to pick up something fun for you while we are out and about.

3 days ago
    1. 5 pumpkins
    2. 7 scarecrows
    3. 3 ghosts
    4. 1 black cat
    5. 4 special wording
    6. Mother
    7. Rose
  • canyonwind
    3 days ago

1. 10

2. 4

3. 5

4. 1

5 8 wording

6. daughter

7. Rose, of course

Margo, you send whenever it is convenient for you.....have fun!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    3 days ago

So far Margo has 1 correct, Susan N. has 1, and Annie has 2. More may try to guess this evening so I'll wait and post comments/hints tomorrow for more guessing on the ones that remain. I bought some pansies when I went out and was sort of sad I got 24 and not fewer. Holes are very hard to dig: hard soil, rocks in places, and lots of roots to dig through. However, it is a nice black color. Our soil in SC looked like beach sand - and that was pretty much what it was - the ocean came over that area way back when.

• ruthz
    3 days ago

1. 6

2. 4

3. 5

4. 3

5. 2

6. granddaughter

7. rose

3 days ago

Ruth so glad you received your package and I am happy you liked the selections I chose for you. I know you like lilies and I was hoping you didn’t have the one I sent. Wishing you happy gardening.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Good morning! I stayed snug in my bed for awhile this morning. I believe it went down to 47 here last night. Perhaps that will encourage more of the foliage to change color.

Okay guessing game report from yesterday.

Margo had 1 right

Susan had 1 right

Annie had 2 right

Ruth had 1 right.

Some clues or the answer are below. Only post answers for questions not yet guessed.

#1 is higher than what Ruth guessed and lower than what Annie guessed

#2 Answer was 4 and correctly guessed by Annie and Ruth

# 3 Answer is 1 and it was guessed by Annie

#4 Answer is 1 and it was guessed by Susan N

#5 is lower than all the guesses that were made

#6 is made by someone in my family who is male, not female

#7 One of the answers is Rose of Sharon, guessed correctly by Margo.

(Maybe looking at her correct answer will give you a hint.)

Today everyone can guess one time for each of these:

1. How many of these decorations include pumpkins?

5. You know how having words included in decor became popular. How many of these decorations include some wording?

6. Someone in my family made part of one of these decorations. Guess who this was in my family?

7. Yesterday 2 kinds of plants that I moved from my Lexington house were planted in the ground. Keeping with my name here on Houzz, they tie right in. (Rose of Sharon already guessed. What's the other one?)

• ruthz
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

1. 9` pumpkins

5. 1 wording

6. son in law

7. Helleborus Lenten Rose

• canyonwind
    2 days ago

1. 8

5. 1

6. grandson

7. Desert Rose Adenium

2 days ago

I hope everyone has a good Sunday. Jeanne, the leaves haven’t started turning as much this year as they have in the past. I am hoping that they will change more this week with cooler temperatures expected.

Here are my guesses for today

1. 7 pumpkins
    2. 1 special wording
    3. Your late husband
    4. Hibiscus
  • sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I'll wait and post about today's guesses in the morning in case we have some guesses later in the day.

Yes, Susan, I think last night was our first night that went into the 40s. Maybe we'll start to see some color. There are certainly lots of leaves falling from some of my trees.

Digging has begun for me to put in those plants I brought from SC. Soil is rock hard and has lots of roots and rocks to contend with. Certainly won't get to put many in the ground at a time. Hoping to get 2 more irises in the ground before it gets dark and since 2 of my roses got moved bare rooted, I have them soaking for awhile.

• smitties
    2 days ago

Since the other guesses look to be the correct guesses I will see are say it was your dad that made the items.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    2 days ago

If you see this before I check answers tomorrow, Margo, please guess. The rules were:

"Guess as many or as few as you like and everyone who gets items right will get one point for each item guessed correctly." Of course this only applies for the day when they are posted as still not guessed.

I'll be back tomorrow!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    yesterday

Answers:

1. 8 pumpkins --- 1 point for Annie

5. 1 with words --- 1 point each for Susan N, Annie, and Ruth

6. My father --- 1 point for Margo

7. Still not guessed --- we'll give it one more day

Plants that I moved from my Lexington house are being planted in the ground. Keeping with my name here on Houzz (and my new street address) they tie right in. (Rose of Sharon already guessed. What's the other one?)

I'll take a picture to post of the items made by my Dad. When I was a child he cut blocks of wood and painted them and I had many shapes and colors. I almost got rid of all of them and then got an idea, I kept the orange ones, put them in a canning jar along with brown shreds and I had a scarecrow jar topper that I added and I love having this out in the fall to remember my Dad,

Ladies, I realized there is still another box here in the house somewhere with Halloween-Fall-Thanksgiving items. For example I normally have 2 ceramic jack o'lanterns not just one. That second one would be out on my front porch if I find it. Also I have a vintage black cat teapot that is normally out at this time and I have a large bag with faux pumpkins and gourds that I usually put out in a basket or glass bowl. Wonder where that box got to? Pretty sure it's here somewhere.

• ruthz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Woods’ Rose

Jeanne, I don't know how you were able to transplant a Rose of Sharon. I have 4 and they are 10 to 12 feet tall and some are just as wide. I think they bloomed more than usual this year. Yours must still be small.

We're having some beautiful weather right now. I planted a few fall vegetables last week.

Margo, glad you like your package. I love anything apple.

• brittneysgran
    yesterday

Margo oh my goodness yes you were so close I could have met you somewhere. Cherokee is a small town but the casino has tourists check in there frequently. Please let me know next time and we can hook up.

• brittneysgran
    yesterday

Love the vintage trucks so decorated for Fall!

yesterday

Jeanne I will guess woodland phlox for plants you brought to your new home.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    yesterday

Susan N., I mailed your package today. I hope it arrives there just fine. The post office and library are in a section of Cary I had not been to before so it's always a bit of a worry when I follow the directions for the first time. At least I made it there and back. I now have a Wake County library card and 3 books checked out. The stamps I bought while I was at the post office are some I had not seen before "Sun Science", quite remarkable.

So far no one has guessed the second plant that related a bit to my Houzz name and street address. I'll give the answer tomorrow.

As for moving the Rose of Sharon, it's one I had planted from seed (certainly from a swap done with the groups here) and it was at least 3-5 years old. It had been in a container for most of that time so quite stunted with its growth. I put it in the ground for about a year and it had beautiful blossoms; then I dug it out in the spring and put it back in a large pot so it could get adjusted for the move. Of course, I trimmed it back before putting it in the car. I would guess the trimmed back size brought it to about 3 1/2 feet. It was, however, the largest of the plants that I took back with me. Many more still need to move from container to ground or planting pot, but with the hard soil, I can't do them every day. Just get too sore from the bending and digging. Plus always giving some thought to how much sun or shade they can tolerate and the overall look from where I place them. My front yard gets quite a lot of sun and the back yard is primarily shade.

• skyblue52
    yesterday

Hello Girls missed alot non of activity. Shirley package went out today. hope to to start getting my tulips planted tomorrow. Chance if rain. It seems it has been missing Dayton. The trees are slow in changing color right now. Might have to drive to Millerburg Ohio and hope for color and cheese.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

Not much fall color here. I think I've heard that if there's not much rain, the leaves just dry and don't change color as much. Not sure that's accurate but I remember hearing that. Okay so the second plant I plant a few days ago that relates to the word ROSE is rosemary (yes, the herb).

I took some pictures I intended to add when I posted but my camera is downstairs and I'm upstairs. I'll come back upstairs later so I can transfer the pictures to my computer and post them. I'll also go back over the scores from the game and post the winner and also who has sent and received for this swap. Things have simply been too busy. I decided I was tired of boxes and clutter from the move being in my living room and family room so I removed the boxes and clutter and rearranged some furniture today, did a bit of decorating, too, With moving so many things indoors, I haven't done any planting outdoors today. I'll post more later.

• brittneysgran
    15 hours ago

Jeanne we got out today and was hoping to see some Fall color but too early. Not much color yet so will try again next week. I can not find your new address and I have your pkg ready to go so can you answer my e-mail ? Thanks

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

Sorry to be so late getting back on here. I got involved with something that has to get completed by tomorrow.

Here is the picture of how I saved the wooden blocks that my father made for me when I was a small child. He painted many different colors but I saved the orange ones once I got the idea. Have brown shreds in the jar with them and saw this jar topper that looks like a scarecrow and I really enjoy putting this out every year.

Let me take another look at sent and received and the points for the game and I'll be right back with them.

Shirley, I sent you my new address, let me know if you don't receive it.

Sent and Received:

Jeanne sends to Susan (OH) - SENT

Susan (OH) sends to Ruth - SENT & RECEIVED

Ruth sends to Margo - SENT & RECEIVED

Margo sends to Annie

Annie sends to Susan (Skyblue) SENT

Susan (Skyblue) sends to Shirley - SENT

Shirley sends to Jeanne

There are some lovely packages being received.

And now for that decorating game that kind of took some twists and turns ...

We have TWO Winners, ANNIE and RUTH. Congratulatons, ladies! Both Annie and Ruth had 8 points. Margo, Susan N, and Jayeanne, thanks so much for participating. I'll get some little prizes sent to you Ruth and Annie. Bear with me since it is likely to be sent closer to the end of the month. I had fun with the games and I hope you did, too. It certainly motivated me to put out my Halloween and Fall decorations.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2021