SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
panhandle_seed_swap

new: november 2015 obf members season of sharing

I just realized I put 2015 in the main title. Sorry about that! This year is going fast... but not that fast!!!

Our Bloomin Friends Friendship Swap Group (OBF) was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you.

Please be a successful member of GardenWeb and have completed a trade with TWO or THREE of our members. Membership requests should be directed to Shirley (brittneysgran). Please take a moment to read our rules:

1. Have Fun!

2. Send your swap by the posted deadline for each swap.

3. No bickering. This is meant to be fun for everyone.

4. Send things that you, yourself, would want to receive.

5. Always include a Delivery Confirmation Number and post it when you send the package.

6. Always post what you received in trade from your swap partner.

7. You’ll be required to replace a swap package that doesn’t make it to your partner, for any reason. Also, ​you'll be required to replace any items that arrive broken​ or lost​ in transit. Thank you!

8. New members will be required to send their trades first, for the first two swaps.

I just wanted to add that if you sign-up for this swap, please visit this thread and say "Hi" as often as possible.

Thank You!

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 14:51

Comments (150)

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Grades are done so back to the land of gardens....

Shirley- your callas are beautiful and I would love some calla seeds but can't get them to grow here in a zone 5 :( On one of my hiking trips in California we saw a field filled with them. Such pretty flowers!

Nonna- have they found the sweet yorkie yet?

Promise- we got chickens this last spring and I love them! No shortage of eggs, bugs are under control, and the yard is well fertilized LOL!

Sheri- love your bear pictures! It's funny that he prefers junk food to healthy garden stuff. I'll get my bingo words e-mailed to but in the meantime my wants are:

1. Fun plants (annuals or veggies)
    2. Your favorite garden plant or something that describes you (I would be a snapdragon... a little wild, a little mouthy, very playful)
    3. Something for my humming birds and butterflies

Dawn

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my friend Homer the Yorkie. He still has not been found but I'm still optomistic. Again thank you. I am so glad it's Saturday. I needed a day off. It's cold today ( to me). Dinky and I are snuggled together and thinking about gardening. I think I'll go to Home Depot and see what is on clearance in the lawn and garden center. Shirley. If you still have an abundance of calla lily seeds may I have some. I have some Easter lilies planted in one of my door planters at work. I think if I mix them in together it would be beautiful. Thanks everyone.

NonnaG

• Related Discussions

new: new: obf november-giving thanks

Q

Comments (117)
    Hi All, "Wonder if anyone has gotten it yet, or if Remy just like to leave us hanging...LOL" LOL, no, Melissa : ) I was at work honest. Well, it was fun stumping everyone while it lasted, but we have a winner!!! A big drum roll for our winner......Theresa! Glitter Graphics - GlitterLive.com I bought a few J&P box roses and the only survivor is Hansa, and what a survivor it is! It is at the back corner of my veggie garden. This is a great spot for it since it needs hardly any care, and the scent while I'm out there working! I wish the following pic came with smell. It just fills the whole area with a wonderful clove rose scent. Jeanne, You said since the first one is blue, maybe the second is violet. Hansa is that bright violet red. But I see where my clue might of been misleading, sorry. Shirley, Yes sorry you are a lousy guesser, lol. Jenell, Glad you stopped in for a guess : ) Melissa, I can see why she would remind you of the rose, because it is a cute sweet little thing. Talk to you all later, Remy
    ...See More

update: 2014 obf members season of sharing part 3

Q

Comments (86)
    Shirley, forgot to thank you for the recipe postcard you attached to my seeds. I did ok on the 5k. After working 6 hours on Small Shop Saturday, (we were swamped all day), my feet were tired. I ran a bit slower than usual and finished in just under 43 minutes. The weather was perfect for a run. In the high 40's. There was a night light holiday parade immediately following. We had fun. Thanks again to all who participated in this swap. I just finished organizing all my seeds and can't believe how many great seeds I have received. Have a good week. Margo
    ...See More

UPDATE: January O.B.F. Member's Re-Purposed Fun Part 2

Q

Comments (151)
    Christine, well done!! Congratulations! And congratulations to everyone else, for doing one heck of a great job! I picked up quite a few ideas from all of you wonderful OBFERS! And thank you again Sheri, for a very fun and creative swap!!!!! Happy weekend to all! Annie
    ...See More

NEW: January 2015 O.B.F. Members Re-Purposed Fun!

Q

Comments (144)
    You have 6 days left (including today) to mail your used Christmas card crafts, in order to be in the contest. The Post Office is closed Monday for M.L.K. day. Thank you! Just so you know... I'm sticking very close to the mailing deadline (for the contest). Voting starts in the early morning of the 29th or sooner if all the used Christmas card crafts are sent. Sheri Sheri (Panhandle_Seed_Swap) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Erica (EricaBraun) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Nicole (bluee19) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Shirley (brittneysgran) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Dawn (dawn1972) - Sent and Received ???? SENDS TO: Mary (cottonwood468) SENDS TO: Christine (christine00) - Sent SENDS TO: Tammy (mcc371) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Dawn (dmkelly) - Received SENDS TO: Margo (smitties) - Sent SENDS TO: Susan B. (skyblue52) - sent (today) SENDS TO: Sharon (toomanyanimals) - Sent SENDS TO: Faye (nottougly) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) - Sent and Received SENDS TO: Sue G. (sguanzon) SENDS TO: Suzanne (hibiscusfan) SENDS TO: Annie (canyonwind) SENDS TO: Jamie (patton40) - Sent Please check-in and follow-up on the new thread if you haven't, yet (link below). Thank you! Here is a link that might be useful: New OBF Thread
    ...See More
  • NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hi again friends. This is my amazing friend Dinky. She poked her head out from under the covers to see what I was doing.

NonnaG

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since this is the "Season of Sharing Swap", I thought it would be nice to share our absolute favorite recipe! Post your FAVORITE recipes (or a link to your favorite recipes) and you will be entered in a raffle for a nice prize. Post up to 2 recipes for 2 chances to win!

If you are using a link to a recipe on the internet, please use the “Optional Link URL:” and the “Name of the Link:” (these are located beneath the main body of your post message) to post the link to your to your recipe. Please do this, rather than posting the link in the main body of your post message. I’ll post my recipe that way (below), so you can see what I’m talking about. Thank you!

Please post your recipes by November 26 at NOON E.S.T.! The winner will be drawn on Thanksgiving Day by hubby. Sooner, if everyone gets their favorite recipes posted. All OBF Members are invited to post their favorite recipe.

For my recipe (below) I use organic ground beef instead of ground turkey. I use this recipe for meatballs and meatloaf as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffed Zucchini and Red Bell Peppers

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 13:13

• bluee19
    9 years ago

I love chocolate chip cookies! Who doesn't right? I bake these cookies from Betty Crocker about once or twice a year. Also to keep the cookies moist/soft, put a piece of bread so the cookies do NOT get hard the next day. I didn't know this trick, many times, my cookies the next day or so would be hard as a brick.

Enjoy!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies

This post was edited by bluee19 on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 13:41

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Happy Saturday!!

Since OBF October Just Be Nice is just about done, I thought I would carry this over here...Jayeannes post yesterday about Rate and Review/sorry boxes ect and my response. Great reminder about Rate and Review ect...

Jayeanne posted yesterday the following...

"I ve been looking around and wondering about this 'rate and review' thread.... I guess I didn't realize that was there and my apology's for never posting a 'rate and review' for ya all! I want to thank the ones who left me such sweet comments under my name, wow!(Just read them today!) this is a great way to see how things are going with some of our members trades/round robins! What is with the sorry boxes that I am reading about? and about rate and review on receiving broken boxes?
    Im surprised I haven't read on any of your posts where any of you talk about the rate and review? I am going to go through my past 6 month trades here with the group swaps and start posting some rate and reviews for ya all....Is anyone else using 'rate and review' or reading the comments?"

And my response to Jayeanne....

"Oh Jayeanne, I have been so BAD about posting on RATE AND REVIEW. And I have been BAD about reading on RATE AND REVIEW. I am so glad you brought it up....a great reminder. RATE AND REVIEW is a great way to see how PRIVATE SEED SWAPS, ROUND ROBIN SWAPS, PLANT EXCHANGES etc...among GW members are working out, positive or negative. Like Shirley says, it is a good way to learn about traders/swappers.

In regards to The SORRY BOX, some people call it a REPLACEMENT BOX. That means if someone sends in an exhange/swap something that is broken, they are supposed to replace it. Accidents do happen, seeds get smashed, breakables get broken. It has happened to me on both ends. I sent something that was well packed but broken when they received it, so I replaced it. I have also sent seeds, packed well and in a little vial but they got smashed, so I replaced it. I have also received broken whatevers and smashed seeds and the sender(s) replaced.

Now, if someone did not replace within an appropriate amount of time, the receiver could post a negative on rate and review, somewhat like posting a negative if someone does not follow through with their seed/swap exchange by sending. And if my memory is correct, which I think it is, if someone did not send their sorry/relacement item(s), they could not swap in another Round Robin until they followed through. People usually just do it so there is not a problem, a simple courtesy. I have to look in some of my older files and see if I can find anything on this. Does anybody have info/ or remember any of this?

Jayeanne, I hope that makes sense. We have not talked about this stuff in a long time. Do any of the GWERS/swappers remember any of this? Since this Just Be Nice is just about over, I am going to copy this over to the November swap."

I hope Homer shows up safe and sound. NonnaG, don't you just love sleeping with your Dinky?

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 13:36

• bluee19
    9 years ago

I love LEMON BARS, here is the recipe that I enjoy making time and time again.
    preheat oven to 350 degrees
    cookie base:
    2 sticks butter melted
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    2 cups flour
    combine these ingredients and press into a 13x9 pan . poke holes with a fork. bake for about 20 minutes.

while crust is baking, make the filling.
    filling:
    2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    6 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. lemon zest
    4 Tbsp. flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    pour filling over the hot crust and bake for another 25 minutes. (I usually cook five more minutes so the crust on top is a little darker)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Oh. I love the idea of getting to see everyone's favorite recipes. I like to cook, so I have a lot of recipes to choose from so I'll post two.

This first one is season specific. I think a lot of us are trying to use up our winter squashes. Here is a good savory recipe that I've been using. I substitute any winter squash I have on hand. I've used Marina di Chioggia, Kabocha, Delicata, and Red Kuri, all with great results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Spicey Pork Curry w/ Kabocha Squash

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 13:41

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PERFECT, Nicole. You did it absolutely perfectly... so fast, too! You already have 2 entries in the raffle!

Please do, as Nicole and post 2 FAVORITES. Something you make again and again, rather than something that just looks good on the internet. Thank you! :)

Shirley... good treasure hunt story. You know I love those!

Looks like Dinky loves a good blankey-snuggle, Nonna!

Annie, that is EXCELLENT information. I wonder if we should incorporate that into our Club Rules, somehow?

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh YUM, Erica! Good Job! You're so fast, too. Thank you!

I'll be out for a bit, but I'll check back in tonight. :)

Erica, what kind of red curry do you use?

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 13:37

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Here's my second recipe post:

This one is more of a spring/summer recipe, but it's so good that I'd happily forsake all other foods and live just on this for a week or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Sorbet

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Sheri -- I fixed my spelling above. I guess the proper spelling is "Kuri." :)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

TWO Ingredient lo calorie muffins

1 spice cake mix
    1 fifteen oz can of pumpkin

Mix the two items together. Drop batter in cupcake papers/cupcake tins, half full. Bake per cake mix directions, maybe twenty minutes.

Would not hurt to add half cup Nestle mini chocolate chips.

Mary E.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Calla seeds:
    Nicole
    Promise
    Jasmine
    Erica
    Jeanne
    Margo
    MaryE
    Jayeanne
    Melinda
    NonnaG

NonnaG -So happy to share the callas seeds. Dinky is so darn cute.

Nicole-I love love love lemon bars. I know I will lust after them now until I go and bake them. My Niece makes them when we have get togethers and she never has a crumb left.

So excited about the recipes, will be back shortly with 2 of mine.

Annie and Sheri-Yes the Rate & Review would be a great rule to incorporate into our swaps. What say we start with this month's swap.

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loving the recipes!!! I'm intrigued by the pumpkin spice muffins, Mary. I will give them a try, soon... if I don't like them, I know a bear who will! ;)

Erica, hubby is crazy for sorbet. I'll try it.

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 1

Shirley, Annie let me know how you want it worded and I'll add it to the above rules. I'll think about it, too. Feel free to email me.

Have a wonderful evening! See you in the morning.

Sheri

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I like this one very much. Crock pot turkey legs, with brown rice and Knorr leek soup. I recommend browning the turkey legs in a frying pan. Then put in a cup and a half of brown rice, one package Knorr leek soup and the amount of water to cook the rice or the soup but not both , whichever is more. Add the two browned turkey legs. Might be bland for some, season to taste with pepper and/or poultry seasoning. Cook in crock pot for three hours, then add carrot cut in diagonal chunks, cook another forty minutes. Remove turkey legs and debone. Return turkey meat to crock pot and stir a little. Let everyone help themselves. Great leftover, too. Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 9:19

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'M CLOSING THIS SWAP (AND BINGO) AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!!! The first BINGO words will be posted tomorrow morning.

Vina... did you want to play BINGO?

Dawn (dmkelly)... you showed some interest in joining earlier, would you still like to join?

Mary... would you like to list 3 "general wants", or shall we just use your Gardenweb Want List?

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 2

Thank You!

Sheri

Photo: Everyone's Season of Sharing bags are ready to be filled! HAVE FUN!!! let me know if you have any questions.

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!! Hope everyone enjoyed the one hour extra to do something fun.

Luv the sneak peak of the goody seed bags Sheri!!

• sguanzon
    9 years ago

I actually have two recipes that everyone gobbles up (get that? Gobble haha) anyway..... Knorr's spinach dip (follow directions on the Knorr vegetable soup package be sure to include the water chestnuts. I've served it two ways 1) in a hollowed out rye bread round and 2) with the small rye bread squares on a plate around the dip.

Secondly is superbly easy. Just good quality fresh green beans with olive oil and finely slices garlic gloves.

Sue G

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Hi Sheri,

I'm in! I posted my list yesterday and e-mailed my word to you just a bit ago.

Dawn

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for emailing me Dawn! I completely missed her post I think I was distracted by Dinky. ;)

Here are her 3 "General Wants":

Dawn (dmkelly)
    1. Fun plants (annuals or veggies)
    2. Your favorite garden plant or something that describes you (I would be a snapdragon... a little wild, a little mouthy, very playful)
    3. Something for my humming birds and butterflies

I posted it on the Master List (on the top of this thread), too.

Sheri

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Polish Tea Cookies:
    my grandmother's recipe and a Christmas favorite

Combine:
    1 cup butter
    1 cup white sugar
    Add:
    2 egg yolks (save the whites for later- they’ll be used along with 1 cup of pecans)
    Mix well.
    Add in and mix again:
    2 cups flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Chill for about 30 minutes.
    Form into small 1 inch balls.
    Dip in unbeaten egg whites then roll in 1 cup crushed pecans.
    Place on baking sheet.
    Make a small hole with the end of a wooden spoon.
    Bake at 325 degrees for about 5 minutes
    Remake the indentation and bake for another 10-15 minutes until lightly brown.
    Fill the indentation with your favorite preserve while still warm.
    Enjoy!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yum, Dawn. I'm hungry now. I got your Bingo words, thank you!

Sue, I've never made that spinach dip. I think I'll put spinach on my gardenweb want list now. ;)

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 2
    Sue G - 2
    Dawn - 2

I'll edit this later today, if we get more.

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 11:50

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Here's my second one- another favorite and great on a cold day! I used to help my Grandma and later my dad make pirogues which is long messy process. After having three little kids (ages ago) I still wanted the yumminess but didn't have the time so this was how I altered the family recipe. The amount should really be listed as handfuls, spoonfuls, and sprinkles but I think these amounts are close.

Polish Lasagna
    9 lasagna strips, cooked
    1 medium to large onion
    6-8 bratwursts
    4-5 cups mashed/whipped potatoes (make with butter and milk or sour cream)
    2 cups cheddar cheese
    butter
    salt
    pepper
    2-4 cloves minced garlic
    sauerkraut to mix in with the meat mixture(optional and amount is to your liking)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
      2. Remove sausage from the casing and fry it with garlic and onion in a little bit of olive oil
      3. Spray lasagna pan with no stick spray and melted butter
      4. Lay out 3 pasta strips
      5. Smear with 1/3 of the mashed potato mixture
      6. Cover with half of the meat/onion/sauerkraut mixture
      7. Sprinkle with cheese
      8. Repeat for a second layer
      9. Cover with the remaining 3 pasta strips and remaining mashed potatoes
      10. Sprinkle with cheese
      11. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until thoroughly heated
  • dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Today was a productive day of both ordinary and extraordinary chores. The first fun one was burning the tomato vines and garden waste. Prayers were said and thank yous were offered to the garden gods for such a wonderfully productive season. Next on the list was butchering Max. It was thrilling to grow a 41 pound pumpkin, but what do you do with that much meat? Dinner tonight was pumpkin soup and pumpkin cranberry bread. Two pounds gone, 39 pounds to go....

Which brings me to the recipes. I've already submitted my two but neither used much in the was of garden produce. This one doesn't count but here's the sacrificial recipe for our Halloween pumpkins for the last bunch of years. The pumpkins are cleaned and put in the oven and baked at 350 until soft, ground up, and then turned into yummy food!

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread (makes 3 loaves because 2 just isn't enough)

3 cups pumpkin puree
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    1 cup sour cream
    3 cups white sugar
    6 eggs
    4 ¾ cups flour
    1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
    1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 ½ teaspoons nutmeg
    1 ½ teaspoon ground clove
    2 cups craisins or raisins (optional)
    2 cups pecans or walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 9x5 loaf pans
      2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, sour cream sugar, and eggs.
      3. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.
      4. Stir until well blended
      5. Add in the craisins and nuts; stir.
      6. Divide the batter evenly between the three prepared pans.
      7. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Loaves are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
  • cottonwood468
    9 years ago

General wants:
    That Bingo list sounds good, any of those flowers.

Radishes or Beets

If butterflies like it, I like it.

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THE SIGN-UPS FOR THIS SWAP ARE CLOSED! Thank you to everyone who has joined-in the fun!

BINGO words for today:

COCKSCOMB
    DAHLIA
    FOXGLOVE

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 2
    Sue G - 2
    Dawn - 2

Dawn, thank you for the great recipes. I'll have a wonderful "Our Bloomin' Friends Recipe Book" after this swap is done. Great souvenir! ;)

Great list, Mary! I'll post it on the Master List above. Thank you.

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 7:30

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Wow, been gone this weekend and missed a lot! I need to get my seeds together now. Zilch on the Bingo for me! And need to put in 2 recipes!! I will get to that today!
    Hope everyone had a great weekend!
    I watched my youngest grandson play Regionals football! His team won and got first place at Regionals!! They got a huge nice trophy and medals for all! So proud of him!
    Better get busy, I think I'm behind! Have a great day Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Great recipes so far! I too love, love lemon bars! Will be making those soon!
    My 2 recipes are these:
    Jalapeno Poppers--
    Wash and cut jalapenos in half. Remove seeds and ribs.
    Fill with cream cheese. Wrap each in bacon-usually half a piece works well. Bake at 375 covered and then uncover last 15 min or so. I just watch them as cook. Depends on size of peppers and how many as to when they are done. The bacon will be crisp and peppers soft. Love these with so many things.

Italian Flat Bread---
    1 can refrigerated flaky biscuits -like grands
    Press each biscuit in flat circle and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
    Now mix in small bowl,
    2 finely slice green onions
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    1 clove finely minced garlic or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    Mix well and spread on flattened biscuits.
    Bake 9 to 11 min until golden brown.
    These go well with so many things besides Italian and so quick and easy.

Have a good day! Melinda

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Thanks Sheri for hosting. I am almost done and will mail out tomorrow.

Happy Monday Every1!!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great recipes, Melinda. Thank you!!!

Nicole, I'm glad you're as excited as I am! :)

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 2
    Sue G - 2
    Dawn - 2
    Melinda - 2

I wrote-out another rule for OBF and Shirley approved it. I amended the above list. I think everyone wants this to be a safe, happy place to swap. I'm sure the rules will help with that, in the future. Please contact Shirley. if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Sheri

• smitties
    9 years ago

Definitely going to try the recipes on here. The following is a recipe a friend gave me about 25 years ago and I always make my brownies this way. You just have to use butter as you won't get the same result with margarine.

Double Fudge Brownies

1 1/2 cups unsifted flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2/3 c. butter
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    12 oz. chocolate morsels
    2 tsp. vanilla
    4 eggs
    1 cup nuts, (optional)

Bring to a light boil - butter, water and sugar. Add choc chips and vanilla. (I remove it from heat at this point because the chips will still melt and I don't want them burnt). After chips are melted add eggs one at a time and mix well. Mix dry ingredients together and blend into the chocolate mixture. Pour into greased 13x9x2 pan. Bake at 350

I am currently working on my seeds to go to our members. Should be done in a few days.

Margo

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hi ladies. I know not everyone loves carrot cake as much as I do, but this is one of my favorite recipes.

CARROT CAKE JAM

1-1/2 c. carrots, peeled and shredded
    1-1/2 c. pears, peeled, cored and chopped
    14-oz. can crushed pineapple
    3 T. lemon juice
    1-1/2 t. cinnamon
    1 t. nutmeg
    1 t. ground cloves
    3-oz. pouch liquid pectin
    6-1/2 c. sugar
    6 1/2-pint canning jars and lids, sterilized

Mix all ingredients except sugar and pectin in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pectin and return to a boil. Stir in sugar; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rims; secure with lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Set jars on towels to cool; check for seals. Makes 6 jars.

NonnaG

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

It's me again. Dinky says we can't forget about the four-legged fur babies. This is her favorite.

Dinky's Oatmeal Peanut Butter Paws

1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup refined coconut oil
    1 egg

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix together the flour, cornmeal, and oats. Add the peanut butter, water, coconut oil, and egg. Mix until well blended. The dough will be stiff.

2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into desired shapes. (I use paw shapes) Place the treats onto the prepared cookie sheet.

4.Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

I hope your babies love them as much as Dinky does.

NonnaG

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm having the best time reading everyone's recipes. Thank you!

Sheri

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 2
    Sue G - 2
    Dawn - 2
    Melinda - 2
    Margo - 1
    Nonna - 2

TODAY'S BINGO WORDS:
    ZINNIA
    CANTEBURY BELLS

BINGO WORDS SO FAR:
    COCKSCOMB
    DAHLIA
    FOXGLOVE

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Finally, a Bingo word!!
    And yes, loving the recipes! May try Dawn's lasagna one for supper tonight! Sounds like good old comfort food on this cold rainy day! Suppose to rain all day!
    Working on my seeds also!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Hoping your foot is getting better, Shirley!
    Melinda

• smitties
    9 years ago

Did up some more seeds last night while deciding what other recipe to post. I finally thought about the easiest cookie recipe to make. This one makes a cookie that tastes almost like a thin mint Girl Scout cookie so if you really like them, you can have them year round.

This mints

One box Ritz crackers
    One package chocolate flavored bark.
    Peppermint flavoring

To make these, you simply melt chocolate flavored bark. These come in 20 or 24 ounce packages. I use a mini crock pot and melt about 5 squares at a time. When completely melted, add just a couple drops of flavoring to taste. Then simply fully dip the Ritz cracker, tap off excess chocolate and place on wax paper to dry. I even use the lower fat Ritz. These are a hit around my house at Christmas along with my chocolate covered pretzels and other chocolate delights I make.

Enjoy, Margo

• bluee19
    9 years ago

GM Every1 or Good Afternoon to those on East Coast.

Sheri ~ tracking number is 9114 9999 4423 8301 6449 07, estimated delivery date is 11/07/14

Thank U 4 hosting and hope I made it easier for you than hard when packing the seeds. Let me know a better way so I know for next time. Its always good to learn from others :)

Take care!!
    Nicole (bluee19)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Happy Tuesday! Some wonderful recipes here! Before I forget to post them, here are my two recipes.

RECIPE 1

Raspberry Chipolte Sauce

Fourish plus years ago, I used to buy Rasberry Chipolte Sauce at Costco. Do any of you remember that stuff?Absoloutley loved it. Great on pork roasts, thick sirloin pork chops, chicken, fish or on top of cream cheese or brie cheese for an appetizer. Then they stopped carrying it. A couple of years ago I was searching to find if someone had done a copykat knockoff recipe. Apron Gal posted this one and it was right on the money. I do a few modifications which I have posted but hers is fantastic. Most of the time I double this recipe because I go through it quickly. Super easy and can whip it up in a flash.

Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
    (The Apron Gal)

*2 cups raspberries (frozen or fresh ) Annie always uses fresh
    *1.5 teaspoons adobo sauce (the sauce from a can of chipotles) Annie always uses a 2-2 1/2 tsp of sauce and adds one or two chipoltes finely chopped
    *1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    *7 tablespoons sugar
    *optional, Annie sometimes will throw a pinch or two of raspberry chipolte seasoning in to the mix. I find this seasoning at a spice shop.

Combine raspberries, adobo sauce (and chopped chipolte peppers if using, and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and gradually add sugar by tablespoon until the bitterness and bite from the vinegar and raspberries has subsided. (If your raspberries are sweeter, you may not need as much sugar. However, I (Annie), always end op using the recipe amount of sugar.

Simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened and reduced. The flavor warm is not nearly as good as the flavor once chilled-it will mellow substantially.

Let cool until room temperature or refrigerate until ready to use. Can be refrigerated for 7-10 days.

RECIPE 2

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Chilled Loaf (appetizer)

I found this recipe, I think at Taste of Home or Southern Living years ago. I made a few modifications to it but do not have the original. I am always modifying recipes even after I have already modified the recipe...LOL!

A wonderful appetizer to bring to a party….Children will not give it a second look but the grown ups love it!

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Chilled Loaf (appetizer)

2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    10 ounces goat cheese
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    4 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    1 cup basil pesto
    1/2 cup dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
    Toasted pine nuts
    Fresh oregano leaves and basil leaves for garnish
    French bread slices (toasted or not) and crackers

Process first 5 ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Spread one-third of cheese mixture in bottom of a plastic wrap-lined 8- x 4-inch loaf pan. Top with 1/2 cup of the pesto; spread one-third cheese mixture over pesto. Sprinkle with dried tomatoes; top with remaining cheese mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Invert spread onto a pretty serving plate, discarding plastic wrap. Top with additional pesto, pine nuts and oregano and basil leaves. Serve with French bread slices and crackers in a basket.

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Oh, Margo those sound really good and simple! Will have to try those also!
    Got my seeds all ready, but don't feel like going to po today, so mine will be going out tomorrow!
    Hope everyone likes what I picked for them!
    Have a great afternoon and evening! Melinda

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

I'm still working on my seeds. Today I got out to vote and the kids are home keeping me busy! Hope you all had a terrific election day.

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Hey everyone!

Wow! So much going on here!! Sorry haven't checked in the last few days. Sorry I missed Bingo, been just crazy here.

I'll start getting my seeds together to mail :)

Here are a couple of recipes I love...

RECIPE 1:

Lazy Pigs
    ~1 small to med. cabbage
    ~1lb hamburger
    ~2 cans tomato soup
    ~2 med. onions
    ~2 cups brown rice

Core cabbage, and cut into small pieces. Wash, set aside.

Brown 1lb hamburger, reserving drippings to cook diced onions.

Cook brown rice according to directions.

In a large skillet (I use cast iron) combine cabbage, hamburger, onion, rice and 2 cans of tomato soup. Mix well. Add enough water to cover the top of your mixture. Cook 350, for about 1 1/2 hours.

If you wanted to make this quicker, I cook the cabbage on top of the stove for about 20 minutes. Reserving the cabbage liquid to mix with some of my tomato soup. Mix everything together and cook 350degrees for 35minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste :)

RECIPE 2:

Ham and Cheese Roll

~1 pound of ham; Sliced or cubed
    ~8 oz. of Havarti Cheese with dill, cubed small
    ~Your easiest dough recipe. Some times I've even used those flaky biscuit tubes (Grands, you need 2 tubes)
    ~ 1/2 cup peach jam
    ~ 2 Tbsp. mustard

Roll your dough as normal. Like making a pizza. Or place your biscuits together in a 13x9 pan making sure their is no holes in the bottom.

Place ham and cheese randomly over your dough bottom.

In a bowl mix jam and mustard together using a small whisk. Pour over the ham and cheese, and spread evenly over the dough.

Now you can either roll your dough like a stromboli, or if your using biscuits, open the second can and place over the ham and cheese mixture.

Bake at 375.

For actual rolled dough cook for about 30 minutes.

For biscuits cook for about 20 minutes.

They will both be golden brown on top.

Yummy :)

Have a great night!!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

You ladies have to see this new garden tower. It's amazing!!! I've gotta get one.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Garden Tower

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Promise-That garden tower is amazing for sure.

Vina-Those recipes sound wonderful..I surely want to try some of these yummy recipes posted.

Annie-I received my gift for winning the World Series game...thank you so much for the beautiful San Franciso Bridge ornament..So appropriate for the winners. Pottery Barn also included 3-$10 Off coupons. Just in time for Christmas shopping.

So glad I did not lose my vote in NC....

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TODAY'S BINGO WORDS:
    YARROW
    PANSY

BINGO WORDS SO FAR:
    COCKSCOMB
    DAHLIA
    FOXGLOVE
    ZINNIAS
    CANTEBURY BELLS

Recipe Raffle Entries:
    Nicole - 2
    Erica - 2
    Mary - 2
    Sue G - 2
    Dawn - 2
    Melinda - 2
    Margo - 2
    Nonna - 2
    Margo - 2
    Annie - 2
    Vina - 2

Thank you for the recipes, everyone... so much fun!!!

Nicole, I'll keep an eye-out for your seeds. Thank you! I'm sure they're packaged fine. If you just wrote "To:" and "From:" on the packet, somehow, that would be perfect.

Everyone, take your time with the seeds and enjoy it. They aren't due to be MAILED until November 24th. Enjoy the process! :) I love doing this kind of stuff. Reminds me of taking Valentines to school and putting them in your schoolmate's folder or bag.

Promise, the Garden Tower looks awesome. Has anyone used anything like that? I think I'd like two of them if they're as awesome as they look. ;) Promise, what would you plant in it?

Who's Christmas shopping already? Anyone? I think with all the shipping mishaps last year, people will shop early this year.

Have a great day my garden friends!

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'M GOING TO START AN "UPDATE THREAD" FOR THIS SWAP! Let's fill this one up, then head over there. Thank you!

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm was double-checking members GardenWeb Want Lists today. Everybody has theirs updated, right? :)

Nicole/bluee19... Holy Smokes, girl! that is one impressive list of wants! Are you sure you're new to gardening? :) Even I didn't recognize some of those. Impressive! I've discovered a lot of new varieties by checking-out peoples want lists. it's always inspiring.

Sheri

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I agree with Sheri, Nicole! What a list! You like the native things. So do I but like a lot of others also!
    I am loving these recipes, didn't make the lasagna one last night, but going to tonight! And that carrot cake jam I will definitely be making! And Annie I'll be making yours also! I love the chipotle sauce on many things! And anything with goat cheese is a go! Love that stuff, I can just eat it plain on a cracker! You ladies love to cook as much as garden!
    I do for sure, but hate buying groceries, which is what I need to get up and go do!
    I hope you all have a great day!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

I'm just dropping in to say HI. Its been a while. Sorry I missed out on this swap. Sheri, thanks for sending me the invite. :o) I didn't see it till this morning. :o(
    I don't have time this morning to read through everything, but maybe tonight ... I saw lots of great pictures though!
    Sharon

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sharon! I've missed you. I'm so very glad you came by for a visit. We've still got the recipe raffle going, if you want to play.

Sheri