SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

Growing Bur oak acorns to seedlings?

splaker
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hey folks,

I have three Bur oak acors that I want to try growing. I collected them a few days ago from a tree. Acorns are starting to drop around here so I figured they were fine to pick. I left them outside for a couple fo days (it was cool and rainy) away from sun and rain (under an awning on my front porch). I then brought them in and removed the tops (came off fairly easy). I placed them in water overnight (they immediately sank to the bottom of the container and I've read this is a good way to test their viability.

Now, I live in a cooler climate (Southerm Ontario) and it's already in the upper 40s here at night. Bur oaks grow well here. Should I put these three acorns into containers now with some soil from my garden? Should they be in seperate containers? And where should I place these containers? East facing? Direct sun area? Shaded area? What happens if we get some hard frosts soon? I doubt that they will sprout now that it has gotten cooler (although our days can still hit low 70s occassianally). What do I do with the pots when it gets really cold and things freeze over (Dec? Is this a matter of keeping the containers moist and waiting until next spring for seedlings? Should I bring the containers indoors and place in a cold room in the basement (goes down to low 30s)

Thanks!

Comments (6)