SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanctified_gw

Plan to grow oaks from seedling and acorns.

sanctified
12 years ago

I would like to plant a few oak trees. I want at least one Bur Oak and perhaps a Northern Red Oak. I bought 10 Bur Oak seedlings from the U. of Idaho forest nursery and they are supposed to come tomorrow. I also bought 25 red oak acorns, 25 bur oak acorns, and 25 pin oak acorns from Acorno that should be here next week.

I have 1/3 an acre but live across the from a pretty new neighborhood park with poor looking trees. They look like they were ran over before they were planted. I also have two great danes that are good at chewing on anything that they can find.

I anticipate that the seedlings that are on their way are between 12"-18". I feel like I ought to grow them a bit more before planting them so that they might be stronger for when they get attacked by my dogs. I have done a bunch of reading about air rooting and think I may buy some of the small rootmaker pots for the acorns that are coming and some of the roottrapper 5 gallon bags for the seedlings. I had thought about planting them in a protected gardening area till the trees grow a bit larger than moving them to the final location but figured that with the root maker bags it would help to develop good lateral roots that could help in the long run.

I am interested in playing with these trees for a few reasons. I am interested in Bonsai and would like to do that with a few of these trees and would also like to donate a few trees to the city park across the street. I don't imagine the city would be opposed to that. In that scenario the bigger and stronger the trees before planting at the park would be the best due to careless kids and what not.

I am thinking that these trees would be in the 5 gallon cloth bags for at least a year if not longer. From what I have read that would not be an issue for the roots but wonder about over wintering them. Will having the bags above ground in the winter damage the roots or are they hardy enough for our generally mild winters?

Tell me if my hopes are unreasonable or rational. Thanks for reading.

(couldn't figure how to add two links. Here is the address for the UofI Forest Seedlings site: http://seedlings.uidaho.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&ProductID=57&ParentID=&PageID=46&CategoryID=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Root Maker Potting Supplies,

Comments (37)