SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Moles, a slow panic setting in

So, in the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of mole tunnels in my yard. It seems I'm constantly stepping on ground with that tell-tale soft, sinking feeling - kinda like my stomach when I step on them lol. I've had issues before in one corner of the yard for years, but nothing major. I don't know why the sudden explosion, but I am getting worried, especially because I worry about voles moving in.

Any ideas as to what to do? I get the same half dozen "tips" when I google - set a trap, use bait, use castor oil, remove their food source, etc.

I will say that years ago I had a small vole problem (in the above-mentioned corner of the yard) coupled with an oriental beetle issue. I decided to try milky spore, hoping it would affect the oriental beetles in the same way it did Japanese beetles, and in addition help with the mole tunnels that the voles used. It hasn't seemed to do much for the oriental beetles, but in the last ten to fifteen years my mole and vole problem has been negligible.

This spring I almost lost a rose to voles - saved it just in time. This rose was in that back corner bed so I still wasn't overly worried. But now the tunnels are further and further from this corner and I'm not sure how to deal with them.

Anyone have success in ridding yourself of them?

:)

Dee

Comments (11)