SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
migreenthumb

Cane Girdler on my Therese Bugnet

Good morning everyone!

This year, the worst thing I've discovered on/in regards to my roses is cane girdler on my Therese Bugnet.

You know those lovely photos of my younger specimen I've shared previously?

Gone. She only has two or three canes left.

Every other cane ended up with the telltale signs: bulging of the cane, weird autumn colours followed by gradual death of everything above the bulge, and finally, canes that snap right off all too easily at the swollen points.

I'm naturally upset as I've never had this particular and troublesome pest before.

I've removed all the effected canes that I can locate and cut several inches below the bulge.

Researching old posts, I discovered one from AnneCeceliaZ5MI (IIRC) regarding this same issue, and I believe she may be the poster that stated she had to give up the variety due to the severity of the problem.

My question and speculation regards the source or origin of this pest. I've grown Therese Bugnet for over 20 years now between two gardens and had never had the problem before; could the pest have come in on, say, infected roses from Canada? I'll refrain from naming "anyone" here although there aren't many to guess from. The reason I had this thought was that I never had the pest problem until *this* year when I planted one of these new roses (a 'Flaming Peace', actually) in the same bed area.

Moving forward, I know that rugosas do not tolerate being sprayed with chemicals very well, but I'd like to try and eliminate this problem as early on as possible because I do not want to give up one of my most favoured roses. Ought I give a dose to Therese to try and prevent additional infestations moving forward? Dormant oil late autumn and spring to smother eggs instead? Could the pest have finally migrated into my region after all these years? I'm rather frustrated!

I'll add pictures tomorrow as I can. I'm in the middle of my workweek and have limited time on account of twelve hour shifts.

Any advice/further speculation and idea tossing is most welcome!

Steven

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville