Saw '9/11 The Falling Man.' (where do your ethics lie on this?)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
Related Discussions
Central Ohio Fall Plant Swap/Potluck-Saturday, 9/20/2008
Comments (42)Hi Everyone, Sorry I didn't make it to the swap today.With everything that's been happening and going on with the weather,I totally forgot today is the day.I really was looking forward to seeing you all.We're really trying to clean up everythng and waiting for help getting things back on the house.We have lots of missing shingles to get back on and the back down spout is laying in the back yard still yet,Not to mention pieces of siding blown off are in the far back yard.And of course a very large tree limb thats too heavy for either of us to move plus all the broken tree limbs and trash that comes along with the ride.But we'll get it done.We were without electric and water from Sunday to Wed.I'm very thankful it wasn't any longer then that and no one was hurt.I'm sorry to hear some of you are still in the dark,But know it won't be long now.I'm very grateful to all the workers who gave up time being with their families and loved ones to bring our power back on. I had so many plants to bring today,But like I said"Totally slipped my mind". I guess I will save them for the Spring Swap.I hope to see you all then.I will miss you all so very much!!Hope you had a good one!! I know you did!! I'll be reading when I can get on line to see what you all swapped for and had to eat. Granny57x...See MoreDaily Support Monday 11/3- Sunday 11/9
Comments (39)Good morning. Y'all hold onto your hats - my sister who has cancer has an unexpected visitor this weekend. Her ex-husband! To refresh everyone's memory, he is the cad who left her when their three sons were 9, 10 and 11 years old - for the young babysitter. He's been through several more since then, and all have left him. When their middle son was paralyzed in a diving accident in high school, he showed up enough to get sympathy, then left town again. I despise him for what he did and didn't do for her and their boys and should really let it go, but just the mention of his name makes me crazy. So this should be very interesting. He is in for a terrible shock when he sees her, but he deserves at least a shock or two. I'm sorry, I should not be bitter, but he's the kind of man (and I use that term loosely) that loved to put my sister down in front of others, even her own sisters. Like why don't you wear clothes like so and so, and you could stand to wear a little makeup, etc. But, the good thing he is going to see her, maybe he'll offer to help out with the situation. Maybe he's turning over a new leaf. The sad thing is his own sons don't respect him, because he's never been a father figure, so this will be quite the visit for them, too. Stay tuned. On a much lighter subject, I love House, Dancing with the Stars, Ugly Betty. The last episode with Cuddy about to adopt the baby preparing to adopt the baby broke my heart. Was not prepared for the ending! Wow. Such good characters in that show - I've always loved Wilson! Re: Ugly Betty - I know it would change the whole show's meaning, but I wish they would allow her to be pretty at least one episode. BJ, thanks for sharing the history of Baby V. I can almost picture him by your description, what a beautiful baby. When are the new parents coming? Peggy, I'm so excited for you - it's like you are re-born. What a beautiful Christmas you are going to have - lights and all! It's going to rain here today. I like a cloudy, rainy day every once in a while - kind of peaceful. At least, it will keep me out of the dirt! QOD: No company, no travel, just hanging out and watching football games - college and NFL with my husband. I've got a couple of Blockbuster movies that I'm ashamed to say I've had since August (it's like Netflix, so no late fees, thank goodness) - The Kite Runner, The Bucket List, and I don't even remember the other - I think it's Smart People with Dennis Quaid. Might be a good movie marathon weekend. I definitely want to do Christmas cards. Just tell me what to do. I've always enjoyed sending them out, but it seems like each year, less people send them. So, this will be fun to share with my new friends! Hope everyone's weekend is a great one! Jan...See More9/11 Memorial Fountains in NYC
Comments (27)I've never been to NYC and as ignorant as it sounds I didn't even know what the WTC was at the time it happened. When you live so far from the scene of any event it's hard to grasp 100% what locals are experiencing. I'd hear New Yorkers say how strange it was to look up and not see those two buildings there any longer. Being a landmark they identified with it in a way we weren't able to. Like WIP08 said, many knew people who perished or were injured. No one I know had that personal connection, it was something we watched on TV. A woman even said on the radio, when she turned on the TV 9-11-01 she thought she was see a trailer for the next Die Hard movie. The media protected us all so much from the reality of death we healed from it faster than those who witnessed it. You're right, no one here is talking about the memorial. It's not like we can go visit it on the weekend. We'll watch on TV like everything else. This is why I make a point to view the documentaries, so I can get a sense of what these people who survived actually went through. Because no one here had personal stories to tell. This weekend I was listening to a radio talk show broadcasted from NY and they were discussing their memories of 9-11. I didn't know they estimated 200 people jumped from the towers. I thought only a handful did that. When they said in the documentary bodies and body parts were all over the place including inside people's apartments I couldn't believe it. All we were shown was a lot of grey dust and papers. You get desensitized a lot quicker when you've been spared the guts and gore of it. On 9-11 I was home. By the time I woke up the first tower had been hit hours ago. Took me awhile just to figure out what they were talking about. DH was so clueless he got ready for work like it was any other day, oK so a building in NY is on fire. I told him as he was leaving this is no fire, this is worse and he should stay home from work. He dismissed it and left for work anyway. It was a couple hours before they finally understand at work this WAS BIG. I was glued to the TV but not my husband. And because I saw more of the candid shots of people searching for their loved ones it captured my heart. That's what he missed. One image has stayed with me all these years. Never saw it except that one time. A news reporter sees a teenage girl in tears, she was holding a picture of her father who was missing. I have never seen a girl more desperate and panicy than her. This was when family were starting to post pictures on that large wall. That wall of pictures is what made it personal to me, it wasn't just a big building falling down, these people were in it. I'll never forget the anguish on her face. I felt so bad for her and was praying for her father to come home for her sake. DH missed all that so now when I tell him there are documentaries on the building of the new WTC he only wants to see them talk about construction, doesn't want to hear to human interest stories. No wonder the 10th anniversary doesn't mean that much to him. He has yet to identify with it on a personal level. So years and years go by with no news at all and then suddenly this month we see documentaries and hear that buildings have gone up and a memorial is ready. I didn't know they were that far along, as far as I could tell NewYorkers were still squabbling over what to build! Isn't it sad that on 9-11-11 we have to go to a little known network called the SCIENCE channel to see these documentaries? This should be airing on ABC/NBC/CBS. I hope they aren't planning to show their regular schedule of boob-tube programming. Heaven forbid Americans not get to see whatever stupid show they're hooked on....See MoreWhere were you on 9/11?
Comments (26)I was in my classroom at school. My kids were in their morning special class - don't recall which one but I went back to my classroom after dropping the kids off and started doing my normal daily routine. No one came into my room during that 50 minute timeframe. I got my kids from their special class and no one mentioned anything, which leads me to believe that at that time, that teacher didn't know about what had happened. We spent the rest of the morning working and it wasn't until I took them to lunch at 11:30 that I heard anything about what had gone on. I was in shock - I felt Wow! My kids (kindergarten) and I had 2 1/2 hours more of innocence than alot of Americans. I don't recall if we were told to tell the kids or not - seems like we were told not to turn on the TV - which we never did have on anyway unless it was for an educational purpose. I do recall that a letter was sent home with the kids stating that some teachers had told the students and some had not. I think there was an area for us to check as to whether our specific class had been told. I do recall that some parents had come and picked their kids up from school but none of mine did. (I'm in Florida). As it turns out I did have one student who had just moved to our town from NY City during the summer. The Mom told me later that she was on the phone all day trying to find out about her brother who was a fireman in the city. She knew her son was safe and thought it was best for him to be in school rather than at home listening to her frantic phone calls. She did call the school after lunch and by that time the office knew that I had not told the kids. She always picked him up and that day she was at the door at dismissal time. She asked to use my office and took him back there and talked with him before he could hear anything on the sidewalk. At that time she didn't know what had happened to her brother. Turns out he died in the collapse of the second building....See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

FURNITURE9 Elements of the Perfect Man Chair
Give a guy rugged good looks and a place to rest his arms, head and feet
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FALL GARDENING11 Trees for Brilliant Fall Color
Give your landscape the quintessential look of autumn with the red, orange and yellow leaves of these standouts
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Guys and Their Personality-Filled Man Spaces
Take a tour of very individual retreats designed by creative guys around the globe
Full Story
MOST POPULAR11 Things to Expect With Your Remodel
Prepare yourself. Knowing what lies ahead during renovations can save your nerves and smooth the process
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN7 Ways to Save on Your Kitchen Remodel
Discover key areas where you can economize and still get the kitchen of your dreams
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ11 Ways to Have More Fun at Home
Every house needs a touch of humor — a funny sign or an accessory that always makes you smile. Here’s where to begin
Full Story
FALL GARDENING7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
MOST POPULAR11 Reasons to Paint Your Interior Doors Black
Brush on some ebony paint and turn a dull doorway into a model of drop-dead sophistication
Full Story
LIFE11 Apartment Hunting Tips for Renters
Land the right new rental home the smart way, with this insight to help you focus, organize and avoid surprises
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
colleenoz