SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_374210182

Can a manzanita get sun-burned? What do I do?

Stephanie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm in Oakland, CA and planted a Dr. Hurd manzanita (30" box) this past spring. Yes, I know I should have planted in the fall, but what's done is done. The landscaper I was working with put in the irrigation, and since the tree was so large, she put drip tubing around the root ball and it was set to water for 15min every other day. This seemed like too much to me, so I put valves on those drip lines after about a month so the watering would be less often. (every 6 days).

The tree lost of a good number of inner leaves for the first 2 months, but there has also been new growth. Now it looks like the outer leaves are sun-burned, especially in one area of the tree. The reason I think it's sun-burn is that the leaves haven't yellowed evenly -- it is very clear that the parts of the leaves that were shielded from the sun by other leaves have remained green.

A few other things I've noticed that may be related:

• The new growth is a bit floppy. Is this normal for this tree? I also have a (much smaller) Howard McMinn and the growth pattern seems very different.
  • There were a lot of berries but they shriveled up while they were green and most turned a dark red and didn't seem to ripen.
  • The angle of the leaves aren't the typical perpendicular to the sun, but are instead fairly parallel.

My theory is that the tree was still getting too much water, so it was turning its leaves to evaporate it and then the leaves were burning. But I'm also fairly new to this, so I could just making things up. I've since turned off all the water that is directed at the tree, though there are some plants nearby that will continue to get water until the rains start. (and slowly tapering down since those plants are fairly established now.)

I've attached some photos where you can see the section of the tree that is effected, and some close-ups where you can see how the leaves still show green where they've been shielded from the sun.

Questions:

1. Has anyone seen this before?
  2. Any suggestions aside from less water?
  3. Why would this only happen in one area?
  4. Will those branches grow new leaves or is the tree going to have a bald spot?

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm worried since this guy is the centerpiece of the yard. :(

Comments (12)