SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llewellynn

Hope Philodendron - disease AND bugs! So sad, please help!

Llewellyn
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My big, glorious Hope Philodendron was hit hard by what I'm fairly sure (?) is a fungal leaf spot disease that swept through my houseplants recently, and now has developed some other concerning issues in its weakened state. It breaks my heart to see it struggling so much and I'm feeling very in over my head after trying unsuccessfully to nurse it back to health for about 2 months now. I've included photos below and would be so grateful for any help identifying what's going on and advice on how to salvage the situation.

Gray irregularly shaped spots on top and bottom of leaves with what I believe are black fruiting bodies/spores. Also smaller yellow and brown spots.

Tiny black sesame seed shaped bugs... possibly thrips (springtails)? They or something else is leaving honeydew.

I have thrown a LOT at my houseplants in general these past couple months once I noticed the fungal leaf spot was spreading so it's also possible some of this is damage was caused by the various fungicides I've tried. I truly don't know at this point!

What I've tried already:

- Bonide Fung-onil (only 2 applications, stopped bc got spooked by all the chemicals)

- 3% Hydrogen peroxide root soak, (2 tablespoons per quart water)

- 3% Hydrogen peroxide spray (1/4 cup per quart water)

- Neem oil spray (1 teaspoon per quart water)

- Removing any afflicted leaves as soon as I notice them

Was going to try the Cornell formula next (baking soda, insecticidal soap, horticultural oil spray), but am wary of continuing to spray because I'm concerned all the moisture is just making things worse!!! I'm VERY open to other fungicide suggestions, but would prefer options that are safe for humans and pets as these are indoor plants!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH