SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_958681346

Brick install on drywall, around fireplace

Chris
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a gas fireplace, direct vent (glass front), that sits flush with the drywall. I want to brick around it, the mantle is about 6" deep, the bricker says the face of the brick will be approximately 5 inches from the wall (the brick isn't installed directly to the wall but about an inch and a half or so from it, and the brickers use brick ties nailed to studs). Does the 5" sound like it's necessary? Wondering if they could cut it back a bit, as we don't really need the air space between the brick and the wall. Also, I do like the brick being out from the face of the fireplace to give it a better, deeper look, but 5" sounds like a lot.

Should I have a brick pocket on the mantel, for the top row of bricks, or should I butt the bricks to the mantle and have a small mortar joint between the top brick and the bottom of the mantle?

The lighting is the picture is rather flat and doesn't show much detail, bu the white around the firebox is the drywall, the bottom base of the mantle sticks out about 6 inches from the wall, the shelf is somewhere around 8 or 9 inches.

I thought about using thin brick, but I don't like the look of a "floating" mantel, which is what my mantel would become if thin brick or tile was used.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County