SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelli_ga

Installing picture windows on either side of brick fireplace?

kelli_ga
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I am dying for some natural light in the living space. Just realized that I have 4’ of blank wall on either side of the fireplace. The exterior is cedar siding which is easily cut, and there appears to be only studs and hard styrofoam insulation in the exterior walls. (We are in the south and it doesn’t get too cold.) There are electrical outlets near the bottom of the walls, but probably no vents or plumbing. Most plumbing and electrical is in the crawl space below this floor.

Could I have narrow windows installed easily between the existing studs?

How many on each side?

Should they be 6’ tall like the other windows, or half-height with cabinets underneath for storage and to maintain existing electrical outlet locations?

I haven’t located the studs yet, so let’s assume they would be in desirable locations allowing for symmetrical placement around the fireplace.

What problems can I expect to run into? I would have a pro install these.

Where should I source the narrow windows? Assume studs are 16” on centers.

If I wanted slightly wider windows (30” wide max like the other windows), how big a deal would it be to add headers that would handle the weight of the steep roof? This is a Cape Cod style house with a steep roof. There is a loft/second story over the right side of the interior fireplace.

The area is being refinished and used for construction storage, so please ignore the wall colors and bathtub box stuff.

There is 4’ width of blank wall on each side of the fireplace. Exterior wall is cedar. Wall faces east toward the woods. I will probably clear some shrubs (not trees) to about 80’-100’ from the house which will allow more light to come through.

(Gas source for the fireplace appears to go directly into the middle of the brick on the outside. I don’t use the fireplace for wood-burning or gas currently.)

Pics of exterior. The AC box on the wall may interfere with the bottom of a 6’ window. Note the size of the other window on the left in the bottom pic. (This side of the house has not been repaired or stained yet. Coax cable will be removed but AC will stay. A fence will be attached to the right wall edge in the bottom pic.)

Thanks!

Comments (4)