SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
userbob

Drywall over brick

userbob
14 years ago

Hello. I need some suggestions on a two part project. I have one wall in my dining room that is partially brick (it is the backside of a fireplace) and the rest is drywall. The wall is about 2/3 brick, with a doorway in the drywall portion. I would like to cover the brick part with drywall. I've read that most people suggest using furring strips, but this would not work for me as it would create quite a difference in thickness of the wall. In other words, the drywall over brick would stick out much further than the rest of the wall. Given the placement of the doorway (about 8 inches from the brick), this would look quite bad.

I was thinking of using construction adhesive on 1/4" drywall (that is the thickness space I have) and then reinforce that with a few masonry screws to hold the sheets up while the adhesive dries. Would this work well? Any suggestions on adhesive? There are no dampness concerns on this wall.

The second part is that I would like to, if possible, install wainscoting all around this room. How would I go about attaching the wainscoting on the wall that covers the brick?

Comments (9)