SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rbcase16

Exterior Help! (Limewash, Paint, Siding... Anything!)

My husband and I just bought our first house in April, and we are really stumped on what to do with the exterior. We have already put in a new door (it's currently only primed so we can paint it any color) and put in new windows (white, no grids), and we plan on changing out the porch rails. There is currently no landscaping (this was the listing photo) because I want to revamp the outside before doing so. You can't tell in the picture, but the previous owners painted the gutters and trim, and they did not care about whether or not they got the paint on the brick, and it does not look good at all. I really like the idea of limewashing the brick with a non-distressed, opaque covering, in either gray or sage-y green to coordinate with the white. However, I've seen debate on whether or not it's actually a good idea. The brick is only on the front and the rest of the house is white. So if we paint the white on the front, wouldn't we need to paint the entire house?

We're on a budget, however my husband is in remodeling so we have a little more flexibility since we don't have to worry about labor costs.

Any ideas would be helpful, because my mind is drawing blanks and tired of trying to visualize things in my head!

Another question I have is what style would you consider this house? It was built in 1964 but doesn't look like normal "mid-century" houses I try to compare it to.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)