SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Sausage/Cabbage one pot dish, Ipink and anyone else

Oakley
2 years ago

Pink, I didn't want to hijack the other thread where you said Sausage/Cabbage/Potatoes is your favorite meal. No, it's MY favorite.

What I'd like is for you and anyone else to give the recipe on how you fix "Braised Cabbage-Sausage." I don't call mine braised, but maybe that's what I'm doing?

I make a lot of it because it's just as good the next day and the next.

I use an extremely large stainless steel frying pan which I think is made for frying chicken. The trick to my recipe is the bigger the bottom on the pan, the better.

No exact measurements, add as much of each ingredient as you want. I add a lot of all of it. :)

This recipe has the amount of ingredients I use.

Sausage/Cabbage/Potatoes

Spray pan with Pam

Layer in order:

4 packages of Eckrich Beef Skinless Smoked Sausage, semi-thinly sliced (two in a package)

1 large Head of Cabbage, cut into chunks

3 cans New Potatoes, sliced. Fresh New Potatoes are also good, but you have to cook them first. New Potatoes won't get mushy and will stay firm for leftovers.

1 Onion, sliced the way you like - optional

Add dots of butter scattered all over the top.

Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste

Cover with lid. Press lid down hard if the cabbage makes it stick up a bit.

Turn the stove top burner on high until you hear sizzling from the sausage, and see steam. Gradually turn heat down until it's simmering.

Go do something for 45 minutes. Just make sure nothing is burning. Do not take the lid off!

After 45 minutes barely lift the lid to see if there's any grease from the sausage. If so, drain it. Check the cabbage, if it's soft then go to the next step. If not, put the lid back on the pan and simmer for another 15 minutes. Drain grease if necessary.

Now this is what makes the dish splendid. Take lid off and leave it off. Turn heat to high. Stir it a little bit so everything can get some burnt spots on it. Get that pan burning hot so the sausage will crisp up and the cabbage will get those pretty light brown spots.

You may have to lower the heat. Do a gentle stir, let it keep cooking. Repeat until you like what you see. We love burnt spots on the sausage. It enhances the flavor.

Enjoy. Don't laugh but I use ketchup with mine. :)

The pan I use gets burnt pretty good but since it's stainless steel, once it cools off I add a touch of Dawn and hot water and let it soak on the counter until all the gunk loosens. Scrape it off with a metal spatula, then wash. Or you can leave the food in the pan when you refrigerate it.

Comments (25)