SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gdavis62

My paniculata pruning dilemma

Gg
2 years ago

I'll post a photo in a followup post if needed, but let me try to descibe with words.

My exposure is part sun, definitely not full, and my shrubs were planted two summers ago. They were 5' spread upon planting and have now grown to almost twice that. We are here summer only and need to rely on a caretaker to do whatever care is needed October through June.

Deer browse the tender new growth in late winter early spring. I will get the caretaker to use an appropriate repellant this next season.

In the northern Adirondacks, we had a terrible July. Almost 9 inches of rain, a lot of temps in the 50s and 60s, and practically no sun. All around the county, we have paniculatas that came out many weeks later than usual.

Mine have an unusual look. The established perimeter shoots are all bent low to ground and are now flowering profusely. The centers have very new very vigourus new shoots up at close to 7' height (overall spread is close to 10') and most have panticle ends.

But the plants look like two plants. A big 10' low donut with flowering panticles all around, low, and then these six or eight center shoots reaching for the sky.

How should these be pruned next February, to get things back to some semblance of normal?

Comments (2)