SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

Help pulling the kitchen together

Elle
2 years ago

We’ve selected the major components of our new kitchen, but I’m struggling a little with the “jewelry” - lighting, hardware, backsplash, etc. I’d love to hear any thoughts on how to make cohesive sensible choices that still feel stylish.

The house is a 40s cape, and everything right down to the wallpaper is original. This is the first room we are tackling, a large 21x14 family room we are moving the kitchen to.
Despite the generous size and sliders to the backyard, it only has 90” ceilings and not much for natural light.

My vision for the room/house is “French goes mid century modern.” I mean, I think? I don’t know. I’m really struggling to find a style that goes with both the house and my personal style. I love black, white, wood, and leather. If I have to add color, it’s jewel tones or mint and blush.

So far we have:
Cabinets: a very light greige, shaker. No uppers, but perhaps one long wood shelf just to have an “upper edge” on the backslash
Countertops: soapstone, with a butcher block island
Appliances: stainless steel, mismatched brands
Breakfast nook: a small marble round bistro table with French bistro chairs and a built in bench. Maybe a chandelier?
Wall lighting: husband definitely wants some milk glass globe sconces around the perimeter of the kitchen. We will also do can lights.

Leaning toward:
Pulls: gold?? Do I need to do gold faucet and light fixtures if I have gold pulls? I also like black but am worried it’s too farmhouse?
Backsplash: I know these are wildly opposite choices, but either: rustic glazed subway or arabesque tiles… or beadboard with a soapstone slab behind the stove.

Stuck on:

Floors: we really need vinyl or tile because the dogs will live here during the day. The rest of the house is narrow oak planks. I hate how cold tile gets in the winter. But I don’t want faux wood so close to the butcher block island. I thought maybe a black colored (but still wood textured) LVP? My husband would love black and white checkered tile, but I think that’s ‘a bit much’. We also talked about black hex tile. All the whites we’ve tried are too close to the cabinets. But with a white dog, black floors will require taking out stock in Roomba. But I’m afraid of doing a grey floor and thrusting the whole space into grey doldrums.

Island pendants: To be honest I just don’t like the way island pendants break up a view, and with low ceilings it seems like they’d all be more like semi flush mounts. But husband insists they anchor a space. Honestly I have no idea what to do here.

Paint color: we love BM cloud cover, which will be most rooms in the house. But all the off whites are too close to the cabinet colors. I’m thinking either a bright white like BM chantilly lace, or a subtle color like SW sea salt?

Comments (3)