SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surrendertoflow

SuperCore WeShipFloors experiences?

surrendertoflow
2 years ago

We have had 2 back-to-back flooring fails with 2 LVP brands that need to be replaced in our house (and we’ve only been in our house for 2 years)! Luckily, both manufacturers admitted fault so we are starting from square one as far as cost, but we’ve been searching and searching and searching for a suitable replacement. And we FINALLY found ONE sample that fits our criteria!! But it’s possibly a risky purchase so we’re on here looking for advice/reassurance.

BACKGROUND

(Some of this info is redundant from an older post, but is necessary here to understand why we are so cautious about moving forward with the purchase of the flooring we think we want now.)

The first flooring fail was with Coretec Berlin Pine. The defect that got them to agree to replace it was chipping bevel paint and peeling edges, but the actual worst part of it is that it is so matte that it tears up fabric VERY quickly (clothing, mops, vacuum heads, slippers, etc.). This has turned out to be our biggest challenge in finding new flooring because the super matte finish is apparently the trend in all the latest SPC samples we have tested this year. So many shred fabric at least to some degree (and some produce almost instantaneous damage.)

We tried to replace the Berlin Pine with Cali Bamboo North Shore Oak and it really truly does NOT shred fabric at all despite the finish being made of the same thing as the Coretec Berlin Pine. We tested it with thin fabric and rubbed it over 100 passes and it did zero damage! The problem is that at the time of purchase, the sales person assured us that it had 10 unique patterns. We were all unpleasantly surprised when we received only three, which we (including the installer and retailer) didn’t find out until they had ripped up our bottom floor and were already well into the installation process. Since there are so few patterns and there are huge distinctive knots, it looks terrible. The installer said “I can’t do anything with this to make it look good.” :(

BUT THERE’S HOPE!

So, as I said, trying to find replacement LVP that doesn’t have some clothes-shredding quality has been impossible…until now! We found ONE sample so far in our preferred color/spec range that performs as well as our North Shore Oak! NO holes! NO fabric damage! We can’t even make a hole in our test fabric when we try our hardest with this sample! AND we like the color and the look and feel AND it has a subtle pattern with no big knots that would make pattern repeats super obvious!! We are THRILLED about this find!

The winner is SuperCore Oak Natural Xtreme (SPC020X) by @WeShipFloors! It is worth mentioning that we had also gotten samples of other SuperCore colors and they didn’t all perform the same as far as our fabric tests. Some of the samples in the Xtreme line and one in the new extra wide planks did show some fabric damage. The other colors that showed some damage to fabric weren’t the worst and they weren’t the best as far as that issue goes. They likely are at a level that most people wouldn’t notice(?), but since we’ve lived on flooring that does tear up fabric, we really just want something we know for sure isn’t tearing up our clothing (or anything else). You can’t do better than their Oak Natural for this specific issue! At least for the sample we received.

So needless to say, we want it. We want this whole thing to be over and to move on and not look at another flooring sample possibly ever. But the WeShipFloors return policy and terms and conditions have us paralyzed in our purchase process. Here’s why…

OUR CONCERNS

Obviously, given our apparent flooring curse and anxiety-provoking history, we are VERY cautious about buying direct and finding an independent installer. That sounds like a case where it’s possible (probable?) that if something goes unexpectedly, horribly wrong, the installer blames the product and the manufacturer blames the installer. In our history with flooring fails, we had a local retailer and inspector that went to bat for us like the heroes they were, TWICE. It was an exhausting process in both cases and I can’t imagine having to fend for ourselves if something goes wrong in our next flooring adventure.

Since we did see other SuperCore samples that did not perform as well as Natural Oak Xtreme on our fabric tests, we are worried that maybe our totally non-destructive sample is a fluke and that if we were to make some giant order (2600 sq ft $$$$), that the shipment we’d get might end up having a different matte level to the finish and will end up not being as good as the sample we tested as far as fabric-shredding goes. We do plan on getting a box to test that out, but, even if that pans out well, we still would be worried the finish could change before we purchase a big order. We’d like to have some guarantee that what we purchase will match the sample (as in not shred fabric at all), but their terms and conditions suggest that no such guarantee can be made.

Add to that the concern that the WeShipFloors return policy states that boxes have to be unopened to be eligible for a refund. So if we did receive a huge order and opened the boxes to make sure that they are as non-destructive as our sample, then we’d be totally stuck/out-of-luck/out-of-money/screwed if we found out the finish didn’t match the sample, because obviously we’d have to open the boxes and touch the planks to find out. I mean, really, we’d have to open the boxes to find out if there were any defects at all (but right now the finish is our biggest concern…but, of course, we are used to being unpleasantly surprised).

So this seems like a pretty risky situation for us to make such a huge purchase. We are specifically looking for advice and/or reassurance before we commit.

QUESTIONS FOR THE COMMUNITY

Does anyone know if my concerns based on me reading their terms and conditions/returns policy are unwarranted/inaccurate? Or do they seem like warranted worries?

I’d like to hear from anyone (if they exist) that had an experience where they did have something go wrong with their WeShipFloors order/installation and they had to deal with WeShipFloors customer service. How did they handle it? Were you able to get refunded? Were installation costs covered as well if it was a product defect?

This is going to be a huge investment for us and we need to get it right this time!

Thank you in advance!

Comments (31)

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

@surrendertoflow, hello! we have responded to each other's comments in the previous thread where you detailed your experiences to date. I think a lot of people have been helped by the story of your very long, and ongoing issues.

I am a little OCD, in that I actually read warranties, insurance policies, etc., so I understand some of your concerns.

After over a year of shopping for new flooring - comparing price, color, and specifics of so many brands, we installed SuperCore Extreme in the Asheville color. The floor was finished the beginning of May, so it has been down the entire summer. It's in our lower level, right off a lake with a sandy beach. We have 6 married children, and 15 grandchildren, plus friends! There has not been a single scratch! Mops up like a dream!

Maybe you should ask for several samples of Asheville to compare to the Natural Oak, as the degree of texture can vary. Asheville has the "matte" look, and also a micro bevel. The bevel was very helpful when installing, but now, not even noticeable.

My husband did our install. He is very meticulous. 750 sq ft took about 3 weeks. The biggest thing is that it requires a "reverse" kind of thinking. For example, he made mock ups of trim, to make sure that leaving the required expansions at doorways, etc. would NOT leave a gap showing. (This will depend on how complicated your layout is.) One room - not too bad. A whole house - LOTS of thinking require!

SuperCore did a wonderful job of communicating the delivery time. Very convenient to have it delivered to our driveway. We hired some local kids (that do our dock installation) to carry it all to the back patio.

I made a phone call to SuperCore customer service ahead of time to go over specifics in the damage policy. Initially, you are just checking for shipping damage. If the boxes are ok, then no need to worry.

Prior to installation, we sorted all the "repeats" into piles. You or your installer will need to do this in order to "plan your layout". Out of 42 boxes, there were 2 or 3 boards with a "chip" in the tongue. Just set these aside for cut pieces - not really wasted. If you find any significant damage, this is when you would want to contact SuperCore with pictures and concerns. I think they have superior customer service, and would get more product out to you asap.

Our ONLY issue was that about 2/3 through our layout, we realized we had quite a bit more of 2 of the 6 boards. In the end, we were able to make it look intentional by using up some of those in the closets. (The 6 boards were NOT identical, just similar in color.)

I would layout about 3 rows of color at a time, while my husband was installing. (The main room was 36 feet long.) I don't think I would trust an installer or their crew to have an "eye" for this. But you would know best, especially if the same people have done your previous installations.

Sorry to be so long winded! Hope you are finished and can relax and finally enjoy your floors soon!

surrendertoflow thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • Related Discussions

SuperCore flooring

Q

Comments (11)
    We are laying Supercore in two large rooms, with a small hallway between them (laundry on one side, bathroom on the other. I'm worried that by the time we get to the farthest edge the flooring might not be straight. How do you make sure it is when flooring over a large span.
    ...See More

SPC Vinyl Flooring Brands Comparisons

Q

Comments (86)
    I’ve looked at so many floors I’m burned out. I should’ve done a spreadsheet like the author of this post. I originally wanted Flooret’s Modin line but I’m just not liking the 9” planks.. right now Provenza Moda is my front runner because of the 7” wide plank texture and long boards (I do NOT want 48” planks). Does anyone know of a brand that I should be considering?? I want SPC, do NOT want a pronounced pained bevel (but do like a thin bevel). Prefer some texture, want low color variation in light-medium brown. (Did not care for SuperCore or Paradigm samples)
    ...See More

LVP/EVP Waterproof Flooring

Q

Comments (29)
    We chose Krypton and have received our 51 boxes. We're still doing floor prep and will be a while before we start installation. Nathan is installing Krypton now, and looking at stair nosing.
    ...See More

SUPERCore Xtreme vs. Adura Max Prime LVP

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, I discovered we ship floors from this board, thank you! I went to their website. SuperCore Xtreme shows some nice pine color, and it has a 30 mil wear layer. it says water resistant. Adura Max Prime LVP also nice, seems 20 mil wear layer. which one is better? I am a little confused. I thought higher wear layer is what matters. which one better, in terms of quality, durability and feel? 3 kids, no pets. any plastic smell under the sun from these LVP? Also, they both claim 100% water proof. I though LVP is water resistant, but not water proof? thanks heaps!.
    ...See More
  • Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

This is not directly related to the OP's question, but I wanted to add - I searched and found real wood (unfinished white oak) thresholds. I think SuperCore has a better product for stairs than most other companies. (Ours didn't need them.) But IMO, the "matching" trim pieces never look good.

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth Hi! Thank you so much for your detailed reply! Clearly, I'm all about some details ;)

We got 4 other SuperCore samples and even the Country Oak (which seems to be the same pattern as Oak Natural, just a different (actually prefered) more amber hue) was not the same as far as how the finish performed on our fabric tests (which is unnerving because they are otherwise the most similar out of all the samples).

I do have a (hopefully) quick question...when you said you had 6 patterns to sort through, does that mean there were 3 unique patterns with 3 reversals total? Or 6 unique patterns with 6 reversals (that you still wouldn't want to put right next to each other)? Cali has updated their North Shore Oak since our install 1.5. years ago to have 4 patterns with 4 reversals, but we got a box and those dang knots still make it SUPER obvious (the reversals would put the knots on the ends even closer together in fact.) Still, 3 patterns with 3 reversals sounds like very few if that's the case for SuperCore....not that we have any other choices right now :-p At least there aren't knots though! The pics on their website don't show super duper obvious repeats for that color at least.

We definitely will hire professional installers (who will have to be new to us because our retailer we used for the first two attempts only installs what you can purchase through them). So we'll have to vet like crazy to get someone we can trust. And at least one of us will DEFINITELY be monitoring the entire process for sure! I hope they don't change the finish in the time it takes us to find a trustworthy installer!!

Oh and I totally agree about the trim pieces for LVP, across the board as far as I can tell. We probably will try to find real wood for any trim pieces we need (I say that without really knowing what that entails though.)

Also, 6 grown/married children and 15 grandkids?! Sounds like you are really reaping the rewards of parenthood! I'm still in the throes of early parenthood but I can totally see the long-term investment in those grand babies! <3

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@SJ McCarth Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to reply. Thank you for that distinction!

The only thing is that I don't know if they would agree with us that if the finish turns out to be different in a bigger order compared to the sample we got that it's defective. I'm sure this is a normal policy too, but it says in their terms and conditions that there's no guarantee that the look (and I imagine feel of the finish) won't change if you order the same color at a later date because you didn't order enough flooring, etc. Plus 4 of their samples of other colors were more destructive to fabric (some gave holes in 20 passes compared to Oak Natural with over 100 passes and no holes at all! Not even a hint of a hole!) and I'm pretty sure they would not deem those other colors defective because they don't pass our fabric tests. But I think you are right. We need to move fast, though we don't have an installer yet! We have to seriously vet someone because our old retailer won't install anything that they don't sell us. I can't imagine finding an installer is going to be quick and easy these days when EVERYONE is doing their floors apparently and we have no idea how to go about any of that (coordinating an order with installer's availability sometime in the unknown future?)

I think at this point we just need to get a box and call WeShipFloors to ask them these odd questions that they are going to think I'm crazy for asking! Thank you again! I hope next time I'm posting it's to tell everyone we are done and happy!

• realestateproject27
    2 years ago

surrendertoflow

They have an extremely knowledgeable sales team and if you want the best service, you really need to get in contact with Zoe. She is their in-house designer and has been very involved in the decisions regarding how they make their Supercore product. Alan, the owner, and Zoe have done a remarkable job. I believe she is also the one who does most of their YouTube channel videos. I have been emailing with her regularly as I flip houses for a living and I use Supercore for all my projects. Her direct email is zoe@weshipfloors.com - hope you get all the help you need and good luck with your project.

surrendertoflow thanked realestateproject27
  • Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

· @surrendertoflow, you're 1st choice is the SuperCore Xtreme Oak Natural? Again, we used the Asheville Xtreme ( 8mm x 7” wide x 5' long). I think the Xtreme only came in 5 or 6 colors when we were choosing. The little "color block" symbol shows the same for each of these - tan or natural. Ours looks 100X better than the pictures on their website. Way better coloring, way more "realistic", and seriously, not gray at all!

· As far as repeats, the number of "exact" repeats is probably 1 or 2 of the 6. The pattern print repeats, but it's cut off at different points on each board. So if one of the 6 boards has an obvious knot or other marking - it might be at the left end, in the center, at the right end, or it may not have a knot at all. And also, the print would go both ways - as sometimes the knot was on the opposite long edge.

· The first 6 rows or so were nerve racking, but then it got easier. Sometimes now I will notice that I missed it, but "oh - those 2 knots are exactly the same, and side by side". No one else sees it, and we don't have all the rugs and furniture in yet, so it's just me obsessing - lol!

· If the Oak Natural has fewer knots or markings, you will have an even easier time! I will be happy to share my source for wood thresholds & stains for matching.

· When we bought ours, I think "Asheville" said " micro bevel" and now it says "enhanced painted bevel". Could just be new verbage the company is using.

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth Oh that’s so helpful! Thank you SO much! We just ordered a box of the Oak Natural (no knots as far as I can tell from their pics!) Fingers and toes crossed!!

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

If I remember right, each box of Asheville would have 2, or at the most 3, of the 6 board colors. You will get a good idea, just not all of the different pieces from one box. Keep us posted!

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We got our box of Oak Natural and confirmed we do like the look, but unfortunately the planks don’t feel exactly like the sample we have and are inconsistent in our tests. 😭 They do not feel matte in the same way as the super destructive floors we’ve tested, but the finish on the full planks isn’t as slick as the sample we have for whatever reason. We tested 4 planks from the box and we did have one that even my husband didn’t make a hole with, but he did get holes with the other three (one in 40 passes and 2 in 60 passes). So, again, they definitely weren’t the worst by far, but most weren’t as good as the sample for that issue. I understand how the box could be different from our sample, but I don’t understand how the finish can vary within one box!? So the inconsistency has us spooked. It’s totally possible that they aren’t damaging enough to notice for most but we don’t want to take any chances on being unpleasantly surprised months after a whole-house install.

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

@surrendertoflow, that is just so weird. The finish on the Asheville is matte to low satin (not flat), but overall smooth. Just enough texture to not be slippery. I am barefoot a lot and it has never felt uncomfortable. Maybe email or call Zoe, and ask specifically if the Asheville finish is the same as it was in February & March. Then ask what other SuperCore Extreme colors have the same finish or how the Oak Natural is different.

So frustrating for you!!

ETA: If you are anywhere near us, you are welcome to come see our floor. We are in the outer suburbs of Minneapolis.

• Ned
    2 years ago

surrendertoflow

If you have not found a flooring product that you like, I think you should consider Armstrong PRYZM. I have 4 samples that I have tested for various performance attributes. I think that all of them would pass your test concerning abrasiveness and its effects on clothing and skin.

The Armstrong PRYZM samples have a bit more sheen than my 5 SUPERCore Xtreme samples. The PRYZM samples also feel a bit more slippery. Each of my Armstrong samples is a different color. All are 6.5mm thick. Two come in 5” x 48” planks and the other two in 6.6” x 48”. All have a micro painted bevel.

The PRYZM line of vinyl plank flooring has an SPC core similar to SUPERCore Xtreme. Based on the specs, it’s a high quality floor and it’s highly rated by Consumer Reports. According to my testing, when compared to other rigid core vinyl plank flooring, it is extremely resistant to denting, staining, and scratching. It weighs more per square foot than any of the other 2 dozen samples I have received. On balance, it’s quite similar to SUPERCore Xtreme.

In the case of my 5 SUPERCore Xtreme samples, all are 6mm thick and are available in 7” x 60” planks. Four of my samples have what I would call a nano bevel. Can’t tell if they're “painted” or not, even with a magnifying glass because they’re so small. The other sample has a painted micro bevel similar to the PRYZM samples.

I have tested several flooring samples for abrasiveness using a fabric test similar to the one developed by you. Because you are a young mother with small children who spend considerable time on your floor, I understand your interest in a floor that does not wear out clothes or the skin of your children. In my case, since we don’t spend any time on the floor, and we always wear shoes in the house, we prefer a floor that is not slippery, which as far as I can tell requires the floor to be a little abrasive. A non-slip floor may also be advantageous in a bathroom, if people are going to step on the floor with wet feet. A non slippery floor is also best anywhere it is likely to get wet frequently, such as in a public restroom.

Because of you, I and many other people searching for flooring are now taking into account the abrasiveness of the surface. My tests indicate that some floors that appear to have the same sheen may not be equally abrasive. I suspect that the sheen and the texture of the surface combined affect the abrasiveness. Many thanks for your posts and comments.

Best wishes concerning your search for flooring. Please let us know how it turns out.

surrendertoflow thanked Ned
  • surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I feel like we tested Armstrong samples at some point, but possibly not the PRYZM line. What colors of theirs do you have that you tested? Thank you for your input! We are still looking, of course!

• M R
    2 years ago

With the inconsistency in your box and the odd return policy I would 100% look elsewhere.

• Ned
    2 years ago

surrendertoflow I have tested Armstrong PRYZM:

Antiqued Oak Natural, PC003

Treeline Hickory Amber, PC006

Brushed Oak Tan, PC014

Brushed Oak Brown, PC015

All of them have a similar sheen. None has an abrasive surface compared to other samples I’ve tested. Treeline Hickory Amber has the most texture. The brushed oak samples have the least texture. PC003 & PC006 come in 5” wide planks. PC014 & PC015 come in 6.6” wide planks. All have painted micro bevels. Good luck!

surrendertoflow thanked Ned
  • surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Ned Just ordered a bunch of samples! It does say that the top coat is what is used on laminate so that is different than the other LVP brands we've seen. Can't say I really like the look of the Pryzm line because we are looking for subtle pattern with low variation. Repeats are so obvious if there are such distinctive knots/markings (as North Shore Oak taught us), but, of course, we are desperate for non-abrasive LVP so we'll test it out! Thank you SO much for being so generous with your time!

• shelly2k
    2 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth. do you happen to have a picture of your asheville flooring as that is one I am considering.

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

@shelly2k, I posted pictures in this discussion:

(scroll to "4 months ago under my name)

Adura Max vs. COREtec (houzz.com)

They're just phone pics, and the lighting isn't great, but compare them to the pics of Asheville Extreme on the WeShipFloors website.

In real life, they are not gray, like the website pictures, or yellow like they are in my photos.

Just a nice, medium brown, with no red undertones.

We are very happy with the color and the quality!

• shelly2k
    2 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth. Thank you . That helps! I was a little concerned with the light and dark boards not being subtle enough but in your pics they appear more subdued. Just have to figure out how to space them out nice and randomly.

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

@shelly2k, did you order a full box? Before all the price hikes, etc., SuperCore would ship one box for a $100 total cost, but you had to call and request it.

IIRC, there are 5 or 6 different boards, but also with variations of those. For example, there is one board that has a large knot, but it can fall anywhere on the board, not always in the same place, and it can be on either long side. It was a puzzle for sure, but much better than having the exact same boards over and over.

The mix in the boxes was 2 or 3 different boards at most, so one box will not give you the full variation of color.

• shelly2k
    2 years ago

@Mary Elizabeth I did not get a box. I do have a message out to Zoe for some clarification. I will ask her about getting a box. I think this color will be the one. Once I make a final decision it will be like a weight lifted off my shoulders the back and forth drives me crazy. I do know we will go with supercore just confirming color selection. Re doing our kitchen also so alot of decisions to make. Cabinets will be white but furniture in rest of house is all different types of wood. Mixed. hand me downs. Dark , light. Cherry. Appreciated the help. Thanks.

• Raina S
    last year

@surrendertoflow what flooring did you go with?

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Raina S were we’re still waiting :/ We’ll know in June (HOPEFULLY!!)

• theunfinishedhome
    last year

@surrendertoflow did you get your floors in? Can you share an update and any pics?

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@theunfinishedhome Wish I could! We thought we had found something and had even purchased it (while on backorder) and then (thank goodness) someone on here alerted me to problems with it. I asked the company (shaw) and sure enough there were major installation issues for people so we were waiting to see if they resolved the issues but just learned there’s no known date when they will be resolved. So we’re still looking, but very slowly and wearily at this point. We’re thinking of trying to buff out the destructive Coretec floor we have upstairs in the meantime to see if it cuts down on the abrasivness while we keep looking. Sorry I don’t have better news!

• toycar77
    last year

@surrendertoflow First, thank you for all the important information you've shared about hidden issues with LVP flooring! I am sorry that you have not found a solution after so much effort! I am considering Shaw Elite Prodigy, just introduced last year, so there is not much experience. What are the installation issues with Shaw? Would you please point to the discussion that alerted you? Thank you!

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@toycar77 Shaw Floorte Elite Prodigy HDR MXL Plus Golden Age was the one we were waiting on for over 6 months and then when that got pulled from market while we were waiting (bullet dodged apparently) we were waiting on one of their tile styles and the Shaw rep from our flooring retailer said those were being pulled too because of installation issues (I think the joints were cracking during install). They both are part of their new “mineral core” planks/tiles so might have something to do with the mineral core? They are “updating” them now but all we could find out was that it might be the end of the year (with no real known date at this time). I don’t know if the smaller planks are affected though (the Prodigy ones that aren’t MXL plus) because there was just the one color and size that we were interested in that tested well in our fabric test (at least the three samples we had at the time). They clearly released the product before it was actually ready so I’m not sure if I’d trust the “update” until it’s tested in the real world! Plus, at this point, it’s hard to have any faith that the new updated version will have a non-destructive finish. I would say fingers crossed on that one but I’d rather hope for finding something better sooner!

• toycar77
    last year

@surrendertoflow Thank you so much! You've helped me dodge a bullet also, I believe, as I had read in one Shaw discussion here that installation of Prodigy HDR Plus is difficult because of brittleness and breakage. One account like that might indicate inexperience, but apparently the design is recognized to be lacking. Thank you again and good luck!

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

Best of luck to you! If we find a viable option I will most certainly let everyone know!

• Elizabeth Miller
    last year

I just found this thread and I am so relieved to find others who are willing to say that that they don’t like random knots and are picky about color and texture and have been looking for more than a week! I am just so tired of feeling oppressed by “others” who keep asking me why I haven’t made my flooring decision yet (after my house flooded a year ago). Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted here. Your detailed comments are sincerely valued. 😊

• HU-656790489
    6 months ago

I used the Supercore Krypton in our sunroom. Our first delivery did arrive damaged, customer service was great in helping coordinate the return and prompt replacement which came packed better and in perfect condition. The planks were very easy to install myself, click together securely so no gaps. We live on waterfront so needed something that could withstand sand, water, and numerous dogs and grandchildren. This flooring also holds up to the weather extemes of the sun room…. most LVP products void warranty over 85degree and may warp. planning to use throughout the house now.