Sunday Brain Game------SOLUTION!!!

Jasdip
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Comments (42)

• blfenton
    2 years ago

At a first glance I got all but 3 and the bonus.

I'll have to come back for the rest. These are making my brain think in a slightly different way.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Two glances, have all but two and the bonus. Starting my last cup of coffee of the morning.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Got everything but A2, D2 & the bonus...

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Got half of them at first glance just now, the rest need more thought.

Rusty

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I usually don’t like the easy ones but after the last few I’m happy to catch a breath!

Though I might change some - specifically I’m not thrilled with my answers A2 and D3. Or the bonus. My answer works but would be better if the B were an R! 🙂

• Lyban zone 4
    2 years ago

Can someone explain how to play this game?

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Each box has hints for a term or phrase. I’ll use C3 as an example, as I trust everyone’s got it. The word running is above, or ”on” the letters M and T. Running on MT. Running on empty.

You can look at the solutions of past games to get more of an idea.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/kitchentable/query/brain-game/nqrw

• blfenton
    2 years ago

If the word is not in the middle of the box the location of it within the box, also gives a clue as to the saying. Is it up, down or high, low or to the right or left or at the side of the box. The location becomes part of the saying

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Don't have the bonus or A2 or D2 after the first run through. Some were easy, some not so much, and i’ll have to work on these a little more. They look easy but nothing is coming to mind yet in terms of a well-known phrase.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I have something for D2 but it might be a bit esoteric.

• Lars
    2 years ago

I also do not have A2, D2, or the bonus. Most of the rest were very easy, however.

• lily316
    2 years ago

Me either on those.

• User
    2 years ago

Stuck on A2, pretty sure of bonus.

I was stuck on B1 for a while and burst out laughing when I got the answer. 😁

I felt silly not seeing it right away.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I'm pretty sure I have them all but the bonus. D2 had me stumped for a little while, but then an answer hit me that is so simple it may not be right.

I do have an idea for the bonus, but not confident that it is correct. Judging form FOAS' comment about it, I may be thinking the same thing he is, an 'R' would be better suited. Gotta give that one some more thought!

Rusty

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Yes, on the bonus answer if that were an R! Totally agree.

And for D2, bpath, you and I may be thinking the along same lines. It’s sort of too simplistic in a way.

• User
    2 years ago

I think I have A2 but not totally confident with it.

Feeling very confident with bonus.

I agree with Outside Playing. My answer for D2 seems too simplistic and there could be a better answer.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I think the simple answer to D2 is the right one. Has to be!

• Lyban zone 4
    2 years ago

Foodonastump and bflenton,

thank you for the info on playing the game. i will see what i can do.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I give up on A2 and D2. I got all the rest but simply cannot see these. Hints?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Still stuck on A2, D2 & bonus.

I have to imagine, just like in the past, the ones I can't get are phrases I'm unfamiliar with.

• User
    2 years ago

Carol, I’m willing to bet that a day doesn’t go by that you don’t read the phrase for D2 somewhere.

(That’s if my answer is right) 🙂

• bpath
    2 years ago

Well, now I have 3 answers for D2, so probably none of them is right. Still don’t have A2 or the bonus. Any hints?

• User
    2 years ago

A2- the sequence of the letters is important.

Bonus- Batman and Robin, Sonny and Cher, salt and pepper, ….

eta Just as I wrote that I thought of a another answer but it’s just one word different. I guess it depends if you work together or if you are a follower.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Well, roxsol. neither of your hints did anything for me. aaargh!

• User
    2 years ago

Sorry 😕

I’m really bad at hints.

How about phone book for A2? Or something you had to do in school at one time?

• User
    2 years ago

For the bonus think about the placement of the letters on the page and their position from one another.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are the answers.

SOB if you aren't ready for them yet.

A-1 Spaced Out
    A-2 Line Up in Alphabetical Order
    A-3 Captain Hook

B-1 Geez Louise
    B-2 Rotten Apple
    B-3 Who's On First

C-1 Pound for Pound
    C-2 Lo and Behold
    C-3 Running on Empty

D-1 High Spirits
    D-2 United States
    D-3 Open House or House Divided

and Be Right With You (U)

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I just did the bonus as it's written - You Be right.

How on earth is D2 United States? When I saw it all I could see was Ohio and Washington so obviously I'm missing something.

• User
    2 years ago

Woohoo, I got them all.😃

The bonus I thought either Be Right With You, and then thought Be Right Behind You but settled on Be Right With You.

Thanks Jasdip.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Well at least I knew what I didn’t know.

A2 - didn’t notice it was alphabetical.

D3 - I had broken house which of course isn’t nearly as good as the right answers.

Bonus - Yeah i had u b right.

Blfenton— you’ve got Ohio, HI, Iowa, WA all united together.

• User
    2 years ago

blfenton, there is a bunch of state abbreviations there. Ohio, Washington, Hawaii, Iowa (not in that order but they’re there)

• bpath
    2 years ago

D2 I kinda sorta was close: state of convergence or converging states, and I knew this wouldn't be the answer but "two-state solution"!

A1 I had "spread out" which is the same thing so I'm giving myself the point.

A2 I saw that they were in alpha order and that they could be organized into line up, but I'm kicking myself for not making the logical step to the answer.

Roxsol, I think you get a point for any of your bonus answers.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I had 'You be right' for the bonus, too. Didn't think it was correct, but couldn't come up with anything else, either. And it's so durned simple and obvious when you know the answer, it would make me feel really dumb if others (who I feel quite sure are not dumb) didn't have the same answer. And I did get all the rest of them, finally! Yay!

Rusty

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Reading bpath’s post I’m realizing I had ”spread out”, too. When I first read the solution ”spaced” seemed strangely unfamiliar but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I think the answer to D2 is stupid. I saw those state names but... And I had far out for A1.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Haha…I think the answer to D2 is clever! I didn’t get it (so what does that tell you?) or the bonus, but got everything else. Fun!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I couldn't figure out how those two states meant United States. Wow, good eye to figure it out!!!

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

I did not get D2 though I did see that it was Ohio and Iowa. United States is very clever. I got the rest pretty much. I dont remember if I had UB properly phrased. I had a complicated day yesterday.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Recently finished a book where one of the main characters went through a period of serious drug abuse, so that's probably why A1 came to me immediately as 'Spaced out'.

I only saw two states for D2, not all the abbreviations. But they are 'attached', so therefore they are 'united'.

Maybe I'm kind of dense, but I never did, and still don't, get all the hints that were given for the bonus.

Rusty

• User
    2 years ago

Bonus- Batman and Robin, Sonny and Cher, salt and pepper, ….

eta Just as I wrote that I thought of a another answer but it’s just one word different. I guess it depends if you work together or if you are a follower.

Rusty, like I said earlier, I’m not very good at hints. 🤔 But I like to try 🙂

My thought for Be Right With You was things that are always together.( eg. I’ll be right with you through thick and thin. I’ll always be at your side.)

Then, as I was looking at the puzzle I realised that it could also be read as Be Right Behind You, thus my comment about work together or be a follower. After I thought about, I went with Be Right With You as it seems to be a more common phrase, especially in stores and things like that.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Looks like many of us were thinking along the same lines.

I didnt think of lineup being in alphabetical order. I also had spread out for A1 and thought about it being far out.

Missed the real answer to the bonus, as i just could come up with You be right. I thought it could be some version of You are Right, but there was no R. I was completely thrown off by the clues of pairs, and still don't get it. I guess i always hear the entire phrase, not a contracted version.

I only saw Ohio and Iowa and missed the United States answer. Clever.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I think I had 'far out' for A1, which I think works too.

And I ever even thought about alphabetical order for A2, tho I did notice the word 'lineup'

'United States' is clever, but all I saw was Ohio and Iowa.

I did come up with the correct answer for the bonus, but I wasn't sure it was correct. 'Be right with you' is what one might say to a customer in a store, btw.