SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gwagain

Cat gave me a scare last night

I brought him home from the vets a 2pm. He had a tooth extraction early that morning, a teeth cleaning, an "Ear Pack" for an infected ear, pain med. With him still in the carrier I just took him to the cellar and let him out in there to spend the rest of the afternoon recuperating.

Well, at 8pm, when I took the other cat down, Thomas comes running. I look at his eyes - the pupil of one eye is hugely dilated and the other eye's pupil small! What the heck! He's running around like nothing is wrong but it was freaking me out. My vet does not have an after hours emergency number, just a "Med Vet" in a larger city an hour away.

I email my aunt who used to be a nurse. She said it could be from the anesthesia. Wait and see how it is in the morning. I crept back down to the cellar at 11:30pm. to check on the cat, and the eyes are still messed up. But I decide to wait until morning. Meanwhile he is crying and desperately wants outside. I hear him from upstairs. So I do something you really shouldn't do sometimes because it can scare you, but I went online.

Seems that some cats do react to anesthesia AND to pain meds in this very way, and the condition will eventually go away. That's what happened, because this morning the eyes look normal. He's had quite a few surgeries, but I have never seen this. The vet made a follow-up call this morning and I talked to them about it. Funny, but the girl I talked to said she has never seen it, but is aware that dilation of one or both eyes can happen. I'm glad it wasn't serious.

Comments (7)