SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

Covid Safety Question

Annegriet
2 years ago

Do you think it is safe to play tennis indoors if you are vaccinated? Doubles. I am covid nervous.

Comments (36)

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

Are the other players vaccinated? And is it possible for you to wear a mask while playing?

Annegriet thanked Bookwoman
  • H B
    2 years ago

Yes -- vaccination status of the people you're playing with, and on the other courts if it's not a single court. Is the space ventilated well (or not) and how crowded is it overall... (our local setup has several courts next to a cardio gym section, so essentially one is sharing space with a lot of people who are exercising (and exhaling)...

And well -- if it's just going to make you worry (after playing) every time you cough...maybe it's not worth it. Binax tests are somewhat available at many pharmacies for about $25 for a box which contains two tests; takes about 15 minutes to do at home (antigen test) (and you do not have to swab way up your nose).

Annegriet thanked H B
  • Related Discussions

My most recent questions re: Covid 19

Q

Comments (24)
    #1 Any germies on the mask came from you. I have one mask in my car I wear only when inside a building. Don't make this a prison. Calm down. Getting over paranoid is a waste of energy. #2 Yes you are safe to play with your dog. You always were. If you encounter a neighbor's dog and wish to pet it--do. Upon return to your home it is always good practice to wash your hands and keep them away from your face. #3 It is an airborne virus. It is virulent before people have symptoms. Wear your mask. Wash your hands. Stay home as a matter of lifestyle. Business have to start up..but that does't mean we should be willy nilly about leaving home. #4 Remember we stay home to slooow down who gets ill. NO ONE said this would save lives, they said they wanted to flatten the curve meaning decrease who is sick at any given time, so hospitals can deal with the worst cases and not lose people due to not being able to treat them. People spreading this I hope are unaware they have it because they are silent carriers or they aren't yet feeling ill. Which is why EVERYONE ALWAYS should wear a mask when inside a building. It helps all of us!!
    ...See More

Mdln and others WWYD Covid question

Q

Comments (34)
    I see that FLU is making up for lost time, presumably due to the 'masks off' folks. I'm skipping an indoor gathering on Mothers Day where some attending have not received Covid vaccinations yet. I'd hate to have wasted 14 months of being careful only to get sick before summer arrives and we can be outdoors without masks. (I found cute little tin pots of flowers and balloons to send along to those attending.)
    ...See More

Food safety question

Q

Comments (9)
    Don’t oil-cured olives have a lot of salt? Olives, olive oil and salt. In jar/container in fridge. What would go ”bad?” What about making a yummy cured olive, salt and EVOO Focaccia? Ofv haand, I’d say that will help insure against any whatever-bad-spores or cooties. I made it once, from scratch as soon as I returned from Italy one year. I think I might have made up my recipe on the fly after looking at a NYT magazine. Darn, it was so delicious. Here is a blogger’s recipe and storyboard. Oh, and fresh rosemary leaves are nice. https://foodslice.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-olive-and-rosemary-focaccia.html?m=1 PS ^^^ I like to make deep dimples in the crust before baking to hold the EVOO. Use a lot. When it come from the oven an cools a bit, add more.
    ...See More

Fire Table Safety Question

Q

Comments (5)
    I tried to draw an outline in red where I was planning on putting it. In general I wanted some seating in this area, and wanted a fire table (fueled by propane) but wasn’t sure if it was close to have propane so close to the air conditioner?
    ...See More
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I'd want to know how well ventilated the space is too. This Delta variant seems to be something else - we're taking precautions again as we were earlier in the year even though vaccinated.

Breakthrough infections have taken place in our group of friends, and my brother and his wife. None careless people and staying mostly within accepted guidelines.

Annegriet thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • kevin9408
    2 years ago

Well a new study came out showing both vaccines wane in 5 to 6 months with a 50% effective rate and I've always said it's a temporary fix at best. Your own anti bodies are needed against the virus for lasting immunity. Go play tennis, stay on your side of the net and have fun.

Annegriet thanked kevin9408
  • colleenoz
    2 years ago

Vaccination doesn’t stop you getting Covid, though it does lower the probability, and it does stop you from getting sick enough to die or even require hospitalisation in most cases. Often those vaccinated people who get Covid’s Delta variant are asymptomatic, so they still might pass it on to others.

Annegriet thanked colleenoz
  • yeonassky
    2 years ago

The phrase better safe than sorry seems to fit nowadays the best. I am personally not going to be indoors unmasked with anybody besides my group and they have all agreed to do the same. We are all vaccinated but the variant is a whole new game.

Annegriet thanked yeonassky
  • lily316
    2 years ago

Since the heat and humidity have been unbearable instead of hitting the trail the last few days, I walked 4 miles in the mall every day which isn't fun masked but I wear one. I'd say half the people are masked. I go nowhere indoors without a mask except with family. And they are going to a Dave Matthews concert tomorrow so I'll even avoid them for a while. Tonight we wanted to eat outdoors at Panera as we have been doing but it started to rain so we did eat indoors but pretty far away from everyone.

Annegriet thanked lily316
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

It would depend on how large the space is. I've been going to the gym through covid, but only to attend classes that they hold on the "turf" which is a full-sized indoor soccer field at 29,000 sq ft. It's almost like being outdoors and we are able to space at more than 10-15' apart, and that was pre-vax. I presume an indoor tennis court is reasonably large, well vented and you'll be well spaced. Especially if all are vaxed, I'd think it would be low risk. But nothing we do with others is "no risk".

Annegriet thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"Your own anti bodies are needed against the virus for lasting immunity."

No. Please don't spread incorrect information.

Naturally acquired antibodies can help, but they are not required, nor will they give lasting immunity (they wane just like any other antibodies).

Annegriet thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

It also depends on your location. Not a chance of me playing inside in high infection rate states like mine.

Annegriet thanked maddielee
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I agree 'better safe than sorry' is best right now - and in the foreseeable future as well.

I'm fully vaxxed and double masking with a KN95 under a cloth or medical mask when I'm anywhere in public these days - and staying out of small enclosed spaces as much as possible.

And I agree there's too much health ignorance going around. The Delta variant is highly, HIGHLY infectious and it's killing people at a terrible rate.

Annegriet thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • sephia_wa
    2 years ago

"Well a new study came out showing both vaccines wane in 5 to 6 months with a 50% effective rate."

Source please? What is the source of this new study? Please cite this new study and who conducted it. Random comments without the source are meaningless.

Annegriet thanked sephia_wa
  • kevin9408
    2 years ago

Here is the link @sephia_wa and please read completely for all the information.

begins to fade

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Many innoculations don't last forever. The term "booster shot" is older than I am and are quite common with many, many other medicines that provide protection from disease. That have been found, through similar studies years ago, to require "a boost" because of a falloff over time in protective presence in the body. .

The purpose of such studies (of new medicines) is to provide usage guidance to the public and the medical community. It's information, not intended to be misinterpreted into being disinformation for ill-informed and confused doubters.

Annegriet thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • jmm1837
    2 years ago

I wouldn't play an indoor sport right now, vaccination or no vaccination. The Delta version is highly transmissible, and the vaccinations (or a prior bout of Covid) aren't a guarantee you won't catch it. They simply reduce the chances of serious illness.

Annegriet thanked jmm1837
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"please read completely for all the information.

begins to fade"

A) No surprise.......most vaccines fade over time. Some in months, some in years. So does natural immunity.

B) Helpful, but imprecise, study.

• Moxie
    2 years ago

There are too many variables to give a simple answer. Ultimately, it comes down to being able to assess risks and your personal comfort level with those risks. The virus is too new and changing too rapidly to have a static body of reliable medical information. Our best understanding today is likely to be different tomorrow. At this point, we know that most cases that required hospitalization are in unvaccinated people. We also know that vaccinated people can be infected and experience anything from no/mild symptoms to needing to be hospitalized.

Here are the things I'd consider for a risk assessment:

• Personal health and risk factors.
    • Non-health considerations in place to weather a serious illness. (Savings, who would care for dependents, etc.)
    • Local hospitals capacity for new covid cases as well as capacity to handle something like a broken leg or dislocated shoulder.
    • Current community infection rate in the area. (Big difference in FL and VT.)
    • What, if anything, does the venue claim to have done to upgrade its ventilation systems?
    • How important the activity is to you.
    Annegriet thanked Moxie
  • jmm1837
    2 years ago

I agree with those points, but would add one more: vaccinated or not, if someone gets Delta, they become contagious very quickly, and often before symptoms appear. You may be vaccinated and feeling fine, as may the people you are playing tennis with, but there is still the possibility that someone may in fact be in the early stages. It just seems to me that right now, the risk of catching and/or contributing to the spread of the disease is too high.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Don't suggest something be read thoroughly. Isn't reading a headline enough? Why go beyond the headline that it "wanes"? If you insist on doing so, you're likely to understand the article. and become better informed.

• sephia_wa
    2 years ago

"Here is the link @sephia_wa and please read completely for all the information.

begins to fade"

You quoted a 50% effectiveness rate yet the article you linked to says 74% for Pfizer and 67% for AstraZeneca.

I'll ask again, please cite the specific source that you claim is saying it's only a 50% effectiveness rate. If it's not really 50% please stop spewing incorrect information.

And the link you provided is to Reuters. Reuters is just a news agency. Hardly scientific peer reviewed research.

Try again 😁

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

"Under a worst-case future scenario, protection could fall below 50% for older people and healthcare workers by the winter"

I guess you missed something, the 50% part but I think you also missed the point. From 74% or 67% or down to 50% by winter, the point is it's losing effectiveness and as long the virus exists in the world booster shots will be required until something new comes along.

You seemed very demanding and slightly bitter. I could of ignored you, told you to pound sand but instead I gave you the link. Take it any way you want but please stop sounding like a broken record, spewing incorrect information you say? Like Fauci? The CDC?

You can swallow the lies of your faction and let them lead you with fear but I'll never fear life, or death which is always guaranteed so why worry about it.

Good day.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I'm having difficulty understanding the point. Even a hypothetical 50% efficacy (and that's a guess, not a fact) is better than 0% which is what the unvaccinated have. And getting natural immunity requires getting Covid, with a fatality risk something like 10,000 times greater than the risk from the vaccine. Any way you work the numbers, common sense says to get the vaccine.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"it's losing effectiveness and as long the virus exists in the world booster shots will be required until something new comes along."

Well, duh! That's true of virtually all vaccines - the only thing different is the time frame. And new vaccines generally have a shorter duration of immunity than later iterations. What made you believe that booster shots would not be required.......who told you that?

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

but I'll never fear life, or death which is always guaranteed so why worry about it.

This! Every single day we are still here is a precious gift. Anyone's life could end at any moment in so many ways other than dying from this virus. I will never understand how so many people choose to put the things they love to do aside and settle for simple existence while they await being told it is safe to come out now. Life is not without risks. In the end will the time lost by those that put their lives on hold for however long it will take them to feel safe to come out and do the things they love again balance out? They will never get that time back. Imagine coming out after years of self imposed sheltering or avoiding activities , along with the stress of living in fear and then finding that is your last day on earth?

Annegriet thanked wildchild2x2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"I'll never fear life, or death which is always guaranteed so why worry about it.

This!"

Sure. Don't do it half way, there's no reason to pick and choose. .There's no need to see a doctor of any kind, no need to go to the hospital or urgent care if you're injured or ill, no need to mess with any of that. Save your money for flowers at your celebration of life.

Why there's a segment of society who rationalize their own poor choices by thinking others who are more thoughtful are living in any kind of fear is a wonder to me. Don't believe your own wishing, it's untrue and baloney. Accept you've made poor choices and leave it at that.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

other than dying from this virus."

Most people I know who are afraid of catching this virus aren't afraid of dying of this virus. They're afraid of getting sick for weeks (with even a "mild" infection), and leaving their families and jobs to manage without them. They're afraid of passing on this virus to friends and loved ones, who then might be sick (or die) as well. They're afraid of the tens of thousands of dollars in health care that getting sick might cost them, and the money they'd lose when they're not working. They're afraid of getting "long Covid" and being sick for months or years, sometimes to the point of truly being disabled and unable to work.

This isn't just about living healthy or dying of Covid -- there's a lot of space in between those two options.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

"I will never understand how so many people choose to put the things they love to do aside and settle for simple existence while they await being told it is safe to come out now."

And I will never understand why so many people place their right to have a drink in a pub or work out in the gym above their responsibility to other members of their society to help slow the spread of a disease which has killed hundreds of thousands of people. It's not fear for oneself that's the driving factor; it's concern for one's neighbours.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Read the thread that explains the Dunning/Kruger Effect.

• colleenoz
    2 years ago

There's risks and then there's stupid risks. Not getting immunised and not wearing masks/distancing/isolating where necessary/handwashing is a stupid risk. Imagine showing up at the Pearly Gates and hearing, "Oh, we weren't expecting you for another 20 years yet!" and you died because you were too cool to wear a mask.

Annegriet thanked colleenoz
  • kevin9408
    2 years ago

It's not wise to throw out false information of what peter would say.

"Revelation 22:18,19

18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

I read the reference sources used by the CDC to fact check their claims, and found they like to exaggerate a little. On study showed just a small drop in infections of the states which required masks to be worn.

Another more recent study the CDC uses as reference show a drop in the effective rates of both vaccines to the Delta variant.

for one it is 93% for alpha and 88% for the Delta.

The other shows 74% for alpha and 67% for the delta variant.

Effectiveness of Covid-19 Vaccines

I think the stupid ones are those who don't read the words of god or man and understand little.

"For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths."

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I'm still struggling with your reasoning. 67% efficacy is considerably better than 0% for the unvaccinated. In fact, it's pretty good, considering the vaccine was designed for Alpha, not Delta. And wearing masks is a no brainer.

• Annegriet
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will never understand how so many people choose to put the things they love to do aside and settle for simple existence while they await being told it is safe to come out now. Life is not without risks.

I am worried for the elderly person I share a home with and some other vulnerable people in my life. I also worry for myself. While the chances are good that I won't die because I'm vaccinated, I also don't want to get sick. I've calculated the risk (with the help of some thoughtful viewpoints, advice, and solid information offered here on Houzz as well as my physician) and I am really very comfortable with my decision.

I've also decided to make my glass half full. Sure, I love tennis. I love it a lot. And I'm sad not to be playing. So, I've decided to replace it with another physical activity with much less risk. I'm going to hike/walk more--a safe and independent activity with little risk. I've mapped out some cool parks, neighborhoods, and even some super interesting historical cemeteries to visit.

• sephia_wa
    2 years ago

"I think the stupid ones are those who don't read the words of god or man and understand little."

🙄

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"I'm going to hike/walk more--a safe and independent activity with little risk. I've mapped out some cool parks, neighborhoods, and even some super interesting historical cemeteries to visit."

Excellent to hear your new plans.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"I think the stupid ones are those who don't read the words of god or man and understand little."

Quote without comment, though I can't hold back from saying that the obvious other contradictions and confusions in that contribution are too much.