SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_313520908

How likely is it that the whole house will have to be rewired?

Ary
2 years ago

Our house was built in the 1930s, with part of it added on decades later, not sure of the exact date. The original rooms only have two-prong ungrounded outlets, and a couple of three-prong outlets that I tested with a surge protector (high tech, I know, but it was I had on hand) and verified that they are not grounded as the "grounded" light did not turn on.

The newer added on rooms all have grounded outlets (with one exception that is a two-prong outlet), and within the past 15 years two of the old outlets were grounded (one in the den to make it safe for electronics, and the other in the bathroom when the sprinkler system outside was redone and the exterior outlet on the other side of the bathroom wall was grounded and updated with a GFCI outlet). My surge protector test showed that all the three-prong outlets in the newer rooms are grounded, as well as the two updated grounded outlets. The grounding light is notably dimmer on a few outlets compared to others where it's as bright as the "protected" light, but it's still lighted.

When we had some house work done about 10 years ago, we were informed that most of the wiring in the attic is very old, of the cloth-wrapped variety, and it was suggested that they could become fire hazards and the contractor recommended rewiring the entire house. We couldn't afford that at the time and declined. We only use the grounded outlets for our appliances and electronics, plugged into surge protectors.

Recently we discovered that an important outlet in the kitchen isn't actually grounded like we had assumed for years. Between trying to avoid unnecessary potential Covid exposure and general expenses, we don't really want a bunch of people (or even a couple) crawling around and through the house for days fiddling with wiring and possibly tearing up drywall.

We had been told in the past that it's not worth it to pay an electrician to ground only one or two outlets and also that if the wiring is that old, there could be damage (or something?) when removing the old outlets and that will mean everything will definitely have to be rewired because it would be unsafe to leave it damaged.

How likely is it that trying to replace and ground an old ungrounded outlet from the 1930s will lead to the whole house having to be rewired? Was what the old contractor told us bogus in an attempt to get himself more work or was it a real possibility?

(Also, messing with electrical stuff isn't something either of us want to do ourselves as we know nothing about electrical stuff and do not feel safe trying to DIY, as others have suggested simply trying to ground the problem outlet ourselves. While we know the safest course is to just rewire the whole house to modern standards, we're not financially able to do that right now. That's why we're looking into just grounding one or two more outlets for now, unless that'll end up the same cost as rewiring everything. If it comes to that, we will just not use the ungrounded outlet for appliances anymore.)

Comments (9)