SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Novice question: ballpark cost of rewiring mobile home

Debbie B.
8 years ago

Hi all! :-). I usually hang out in the manufactured homes, smaller homes, and kitchen forums, but I'd like some very general advice:

Long story short-I recently bought a 1979 single wide, 3/1.5, 14x64 manufactured home. It is a fixer-upper that I hope to rehab over the next few years. I picked it up for almost nothing.

I'm fairly certain I'll need to completely rewire the whole house, for several reasons: 1) three lights don't work at all, 2) there will be a gut renovation of the kitchen where I'll need more outlets and in different places, 3) I want to put in some ceiling fans rather than central air, 4) the 1/2 bath will become a 3/4 bath (addition of a shower), and 5) I will want more outlets in other rooms.

I know nothing about electrical wiring, but it is my understanding that these older mobile homes used cheap aluminum wiring that isn't even legal anymore. That is a safety concern as well. The current wiring (no pun intended) is the original wiring.

I don't know if this makes a big difference, but I live in the greater Spokane area of eastern Washington state.

Obviously, I realize you can't give me a detailed, super accurate quote. I'm just looking for a very general ballpark figure, big ballpark. Are we talking hundreds (I wish!), thousands, tens of thousands?

I'm working on a tight budget, but I want the structural integrity of the house to be ship shape before I start the "fun stuff," like new appliances, etc. So if you tell me it shouldn't cost more than $5,000, I'll do it next fall, but if you tell me it will cost at least $50,000, I'll junk the whole project.

Thanks in advance! Have a lovely evening! :-)

Sincerely,

Debbie

Comments (6)