SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_johnson155

Should new paint peel off easily when dinged?

Dave Johnson
2 years ago

We had a bathroom remodel by a work crew that we had many issues with throughout the life of the project. The most recent one is that I don't think they applied their paint right. See the image below. The wall was dinged in one place by somebody carrying a cabinet, and the damaged paint peels off rather than chips. Note that I pulled on the loose bit a little to continue the peel, out of curiosity.

Note also that I can take my fingernail to other apparently undamaged parts of the new paint job, and pretty easily break the "skin" and start a new peel like this. Even worse, the ancient paint underneath does not peel similarly. Meaning the 10 year old paint job is more durable than this new one.

This kind of peeling is not right, correct? What could cause it? Lack of priming and/or other surface prep? What is the solution? I fear it will require sanding the new coat away everywhere which sounds quite time consuming, followed then by proper cleaning and priming before repainting. Thoughts and advice? Thanks.

Comments (5)