SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Do you resent being told to do something for your own good?

Lars
2 years ago

And does it make you rebellious?

When my brother turned 50, I nagged him (I guess you could call it that) to get a colonoscopy, but he had a bad doctor who told him he could wait until he was 60, even though there is a huge history of colon cancer in our immediate family. I did finally convince him to change doctors by the time he was 53, and the new doctor told him to have a colonoscopy immediately. I don't know whether he actually found something through a blood test, but by this time, my brother had colon cancer and had to have an ostomy.

Of course if he had listened to me and had the colonoscopy when he turned 50, he could have been cured without the ostomy. Now he has to live with an ostomy bag for the rest of his life, and his life now is very different from what it could have been. He handles this much better than I would.

My brother's ex-wife was constantly bossing him around, and I think this had something to do with his resistance to having anyone tell him what to do, but I am not a bossy person at all and rarely even suggest something for him to do. If I do, I try to make it so that it is part of a joint effort.

I did not like people at work telling me what to do if they had no authority over me, but I would often just tell them to tell my boss, and everyone was so afraid of her that they never did. I never had a problem with my boss telling me what to do, unless it was something that was completely impractical or sometimes even impossible! She would come up with some ideas for designs that simply could not be executed, and she did not like being told this, and so I would usually at least try to accommodate her. For example, she thought that if she wanted to buy the fibers that are used to make Panama hats, send them to a weaving mill, and have them woven into fabric for upholstery, that that should be possible. I had to explain to her that the people who produce the fibers have contracts with people who weave the hats, and there is more of a demand for the fibers to make the hats than can be provided, and so there were no fibers available for sale. It got more complicated than that, but that is basically what I had to tell her.

I have no problem with anyone (including the govt) telling me to do something for my health, especially if it is something I can easily do - losing weight is not that easy, but I still try because I do not want complications.

If a policeman tells me to do something, I do it because I do not want to be arrested, but I might not like it.

How do you deal with or feel about authorities?

Comments (35)