SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

What do you all think of children being on their own at 10 & 11?

Kathsgrdn
5 years ago

Was reading a news article last week of a mother being arrested for leaving her 11 year old at home with a 3 year old cousin (ages I think are accurate...but I read it last week and not positive), the house caught on fire and the 3 year old died. The 11 year old escaped and the mother of the 11 year, old who left them alone. was arrested. 44 years ago when I was 11, I used to babysit, sometimes all night while the parents were out. I also walked to school alone or with friends in San Pedro California, through multiple neighborhoods. I did this from 1st grade through 4th.

I was just reading on BBC about the new Utah law: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43997862  According to the article kids are safer now than way back then but parents are more fearful. I would never have let my kids as 1st graders walk home alone or with their friends. Do you think this has made our kids less independent and more afraid to go out into the world? We also played outside all day and part of the night when I lived in California. Sometimes I wouldn't see my mom till 9 pm when I had to come inside. I let my kids play outside but always made sure I knew where they were. I don't think my kids have been affected at all, just wondering what you all think.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery