SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bano91

Can a servient estate charge the dominant tenant storage fees for item

J B
2 years ago

I want to finish my basement, but my property had an easement (from 1899) that allowed the local municipality to run a water transmission line through the foundation. The pipe runs through two foundation walls and is approximately 26in x 27ft. The easement was abandoned when they eliminated the need for the pipe after upgrading the entire water system, which relocated all transmission piping.

The pipe is very deteriorated and rusted - the condition poses a major risk to my house. I've asked the municipality to remove the pipe, which they initially agreed, but then cited the easement and decided to leave it in place. They have acknowledged it is their responsibility to maintain the pipe, which means "if it leaks, we'll fix it" - that's not maintenance, that's repair... Since they've abandoned the easement and left their property, which causes a major burden (moisture and condensation, mold and mildew, rot, bugs and pests, rust exposure, flooding, structural damage, etc.), is there a way I can be compensated or a way to sue them for trespassing? The goal is to have them just remove the pipe, or provide the means to do so, instead of dealing with the legal hassle.

Comments (19)